Minecraft

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Looks like the MP is getting pretty close now.
Notch, in 16 minutes wrote:On the Multiplayer front all is well!
I just finished implementing tile mining and movement verification. It’s now impossible to claim to mine a tile you can’t mine, or to mine a tile too fast, and it’s also impossible to move through walls.

I can now log in with several clients and see changes other players do to the world, although I can’t see the other players yet.

I’ve got a really nice and stable base to build on, I think. Terrain streaming works great, and tile changes get sent out automatically, and collapsed into a single message there’s multiple updates within a single chunk. If the number of updates is really huge, it’ll get replaced with a single replaceregion call, which is compressed.

There’s a slight chance I might stay up late tonight, working on this.. I’m starting to have FUN! =D
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yeah, there was a rumbling earlier yesterday that he was building momentum. It's a massive step for the game, although it still needs more of a long term goal or challenge - the easiest way to play the game is still just to hide from the monsters.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

i think thats dungeon mode is what hes adding to give the overall game a bit more purpose but i agree something to try and work towards in survival mode would be good, maybe even some kind of quest/mission system if friendly npc's are ever added.

or some huge nasty beastie types deep underground that need to have their eyes poked out, or a mix of this with the afforementioned quests

but yeah once youve build your impenatrable palace on a floating island somewhere wearing diamond armour their isnt really a whole lot to do except find more resources and do it again.
although it takes me a very long time to do this ^ and i enjoy doing it alot because i tend to build something different everytime
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

There's mention of points for killing monsters in the wiki, but I've not seen evidence of this in-game. That's not much of an incentive unless you're a points whore or you can spend the points on something.

The introduction of seasons has great potential for incentives. Having to sort things out before winter, certain things only being available in certain seasons.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Ooh, that's an awesome idea. Things growing better in spring and summer, higher crop yield in autumn, slower movement in snow.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Snerbles!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

That's all coming. Snerbles are already in (yesterday). Longer nights mean shorter time for crops to grow in winter. Also, snow covering the glass roof of your underground arborium could be problematic.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

just use torches to either melt the snow or get light to the crops
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

friday update, aparantly contains boats!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

:shock:

But I'm still going to wait for the MP version to start playing again.

so everyone can do all the hard work for me.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

shot2bits wrote:friday update, aparantly contains boats!
It does, I'm on a boat motherfucker. They're quite fragile but could be useful for escaping from mobs. Until sea monsters are introduced.

/edit
And there's new flora.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

People have been after boats for ages so that travelling across water doesn't take ages. However, unless you leave a trail of breadcrumbs to wherever you end up you'd never find anything you built there after you died. Until there's a way to set a new spawn point there's not much point straying too far other than to see the sights.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:People have been after boats for ages so that travelling across water doesn't take ages. However, unless you leave a trail of breadcrumbs to wherever you end up you'd never find anything you built there after you died. Until there's a way to set a new spawn point there's not much point straying too far other than to see the sights.
Good point and I'm glad you pointed it out before I had a chance to discover it for myself. :whew:
Legoshoes
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Legoshoes »

Even with breadcrumbs, i learned the hard way to not carry everything with you when exploring. I went for what must have been miles away from my original spawn using at least 100 torches. then died. Frantic naked running to my deathspot revealed i'd been exploring, going the one direction for at least an hour.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Almost as exciting as the original video. For minecrafters at least.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc_Rbn5QS-4[/media]
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Hmm, Notch has added a google "vote on my idea" thing. I like that, and there's some pretty good ideas in there.

http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=1c111
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Moocows.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Woah! This I gotta see.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yep, coos in abundance. Mooing loudly.

Since I last played there seems to be an increase in interesting things. Trees have some variety (some are massive), I found a few cactii, and there seem to be more caves and resources. Terrain seems more random too - I've found several sand walls/crevaces.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

The generated landscapes are much more varied now, quite impressive. The cows, not so much. Their texture could do with some work and I thought they dropped raw chickens at first, before I realised it was supposed to be leather. But additions are always welcome.