Project badger, badger, badger

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Project badger, badger, badger

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

As most of you already know, here at 5punk we are trying to recreate the famous badger animation within UT2004.

If you have not yet downloaded the badger skin, then you can find it in the sticky'd thread within this forum.

Basically what we need is a map (green floor with blue walls etc), someone to make up some 3d rendered snakes, and some 3d rendered mushrooms.

It may be possible to make the mushrooms within the map itself, but this needs to be looked into a bit more. :?

There has been a mention of various tools that can be used to capture video's within game, allthough I'm pretty sure this can be done through the game as well.

This is going to be quite hard to pull off, but if it works, it will be fannytastical, and I can die a happy man. :lol:

So if anyone has had any previous experience with mapping for games, or there's anyone else wanting to help out with the 3d rendering, then please reply to this thread with ideas/suggestions.

Many thanks, and I'll keep you all posted with any updates on this as it develops. 8)
Last edited by Woo Elephant Yeah on March 10th, 2005, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

i have, many moons ago, attempted a little map creating in various games. Never ammounted to much, as i didnt really have anything to inspire my creative urges.

I shall see what i can do, but im not promising anything (yet)

/fires up the UT editor
Stuk
Monkey
Monkey

Well I'm always up for new stuff

Post by Stuk »

I tried creating a little map a little while ago, from a PCGamer guide (probably not the best). So I might have a go, but I'll have to learn quite a bit of new stuff, and anyways there'll probably be some better mappers here, but if you want me to give it a shot, just say =)

Stuk
StickFigureNinja
Meerkat of DOOM
Meerkat of DOOM

Post by StickFigureNinja »

I once created an absolutely awesome map for the original UT, but the game had trouble keeping up with my vision.
Maybe I should attempt to remake it for 2004.
electrolaze
Mouse
Mouse

hmmmm...

Post by electrolaze »

I had a go at making a level... THIS IS A PROTOTYPE. here - are the textures ok? It needs resizing (bigtime) and i'm not sure why everybody keeps diying :?. anyways, somebody better at it than me could modify my version so it works.
Last edited by electrolaze on October 30th, 2004, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Re: hmmmm...

electrolaze wrote:I had a go at making a level... THIS IS A PROTOTYPE. here - are the textures ok? It needs resizing (bigtime) and i'm not sure why everybody keeps diying :?. anyways, somebody better at it that me could modify my version so it works.
Thanks for the help, I shall try it out later on when I get home.

*passes appreciation award*
newg
Kitten
Kitten

Post by newg »

I tried, but having no experience in 3d modeling, I failed miserably.
I will keep on trying though! PERVSEVERE!
StickFigureNinja
Meerkat of DOOM
Meerkat of DOOM

electrolaze wrote:I had a go at making a level... THIS IS A PROTOTYPE. here - are the textures ok? It needs resizing (bigtime) and i'm not sure why everybody keeps diying :?. anyways, somebody better at it that me could modify my version so it works.
If it's anything like the original UT, you have to recalculate geometry before saving it, otherwise it treats it like you're spawning within a solid space, rather than an open space.
electrolaze
Mouse
Mouse

Post by electrolaze »

StickFigureNinja wrote:If it's anything like the original UT, you have to recalculate geometry before saving it, otherwise it treats it like you're spawning within a solid space, rather than an open space.
I might have a go at doing that a bit later
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

I think it needs to be a bit bigger, as I was playing around with the spectator views and stuff this weekend.

I can't for the life of me work out why everyone dies straight away, allthough the only other thing I can think of, is the the "cube" itself is solid, which is why everyone dies straight away. :?:

Why didn't they teach me useful things like UT Editor instead fo crap such as French and Geography.

It would of been far better to learn something useful such as map editing :lol:

Vote Woo Elephant Yeah for Prime Minister

P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I think it looks good, and thanks for all of yoru efforts so far.
StickFigureNinja
Meerkat of DOOM
Meerkat of DOOM

You bunch of useless soandsos. I'll fix it when i get hom ethen.
StickFigureNinja
Meerkat of DOOM
Meerkat of DOOM

Here you go then, slightly modified so you can actually play.
http://www.stickfigureninja.com/temp/Badgerbadger2.ut2
I could have a try at doing a better version (no offence electrolaze, just I've done some ut level design before) another time, if you'd like? Can't say when I'd get around to it though.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Thanks dude, I'll try it out when I get home.

I have just realised something though :lol:
We will need somebody to host a server, in order to host the map, when we eventually do this :roll:

Any ideas? (other than the obvious renting a server, which is on hold at the moment)

I was thinking of increasing my blueyonder broadband to the 3MB service, anyone know what the "up speed" of this is likely to be :?:

P.S. Oh yes, I've e-mailed weebl, and it looks like we can use the sound etc from the original animation, so using the UT2004 soundpack might be an option in-game, but it's probably easier to just overlay music on top of the recorded video. (If that makes sense)

P.P.S Weebl thinks this project "sounds cool", so it looks like it's full steam ahead guys :wink:
newg
Kitten
Kitten

Post by newg »

SFN - that's great -
here's a screenshot of the map in action with me playing a few bots.

http://img6.exs.cx/img6/4219/badgermap.jpg

was quite fun playing in such a confined space.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Huzzah looks like the map works now.
I was entertaining the in-laws last night, so didn't get chance to play it, but it looks like everything's working now.

Keep the improvements coming in lads :wink:

*proud*
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

What day/time is best for most of you to give this a mock run through too discover any problems etc...

I'll post it on the 5cheduler once I have a better idea of when you're all usually online

EDIT : Oh yes, as for recording demo's I think I've sussed out how to do it.
Lanc
Svenno
Svenno

Post by Lanc »

If you have room for another Badger, give me a shout when you are doing the testing.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Ill be around most nights (bar saturday) after around 8ish.

bring on teh badgers! raa!
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Don't want to sound ungrateful, but could somebody make this map bigger, as the corners of the box just doesn't look right when trying to recreate the badger badger badger animation.

Ideally it needs ot be about 3 times the size to avoid havign to view the edge of the box, or perhaps not having a box at all, and just having a grass terrain, with a blue sky :?:

I have tried to do this myself, and failed miserably, so if anyone can help by editing the existing map, or recreating a new one, I would be eternally grateful*

*this may involve repetitive bumming and other such sexual pleasures
StickFigureNinja
Meerkat of DOOM
Meerkat of DOOM

OI'm trying to remember how to do skyboxes at the moment...