Minecraft

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I was on for a bit, seemed ok. Then disconnected when I was a bit stranded in the snowy bit.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Fixed now. Our server host is pretty good at providing information for problems.
The hoster wrote:Took to long to login
This is an error with notches auth server. You must wait for him to fix it. Or set your server to offline mode.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I don't know if anyone wants to use it but I've got a mob trap setup at my base. You can AFK at the collection point and slowly accumulate mob drops, so long as there's no one there already. It's not a large trap so you'll need to stand there for at least an hour to get any useful amount. On the map my base is the grey square right next to a sand area North of the spawn. The collection point is inside the fortifications at the base of the mesa.

Or do people consider this cheating?
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Sounds like a clever use of game mechanics to me.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

friznit wrote:Sounds like a clever use of game mechanics to me.
That's my opinion, especially the clever part coz thats what i is. Planning, construction and tweaking wasn't a trivial and the output is small, so it's not very exploitative. I can show how it works if anyone is interested, there's not much to it, but much of it is buried. Don't go digging holes because you'll break it.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Anal Railways will be extending a new branch line to the spawn location, this will run direct to Anery Temple Meads where you can swap to the Isengard line for a swift trip to hobbits, orcs and probably death at the bottom of a big pit :lol:

EDIT
Need a better name for my temple.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

friznit wrote:Sounds like a clever use of game mechanics to me.
:above:
Anery wrote:Anal Railways will be extending a new branch line to the spawn location, this will run direct to Anery Temple Meads where you can swap to the Isengard line for a swift trip to hobbits, orcs and probably death at the bottom of a big pit :lol:

EDIT
Need a better name for my temple.
Nice. I've still not worked out how to make the chuggers run. They just seem to scoot off a bit and stop. Also, I like Anery Temple Meads.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Dog Pants wrote:Nice. I've still not worked out how to make the chuggers run. They just seem to scoot off a bit and stop. Also, I like Anery Temple Meads.
Combine a forge and minecart, and put it behind a normal/storage minecart.
Then use a piece of coal on the forge cart.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Grimmie wrote: Combine a forge and minecart, and put it behind a normal/storage minecart.
Then use a piece of coal on the forge cart.
Yeah, the only problem is that you have to use them/right click them, to make them go, and you can't sit on them sadly
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Ahh. I knew how to make them, I didn't know about using coal on them.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I need to have a play with minecarts, now that they work. Also devices based on redstone, assuming all that is now working server-side, could be a lot of fun.

Also an update on the scale model of the Enterprise D. It makes me nostalgic for the old creative mode.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epYmWk9Q3g4[/media]
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I really think it should be possible to make minecarts run on electricity. All you'd have to do is connect the tracks to a power source through redstone. The game would have to have electricity to begin with, offcourse.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Mr. Johnson wrote:I really think it should be possible to make minecarts run on electricity. All you'd have to do is connect the tracks to a power source through redstone. The game would have to have electricity to begin with, offcourse.
I thought that. I was thinking:

Redstone dust for powerlines.
Forge with redstone makes a generator. Insert coal, shits out electrikery.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Joose wrote:
I thought that. I was thinking:

Redstone dust for powerlines.
Forge with redstone makes a generator. Insert coal, shits out electrikery.
Excellent idea, let's call notch!
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Suggest it on Google Moderator, but it'll probably already be there.

I think that currently a redstone wire to mine cart track switches its direction, if it's a curved one.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Well it does have NAND gates, electricity can't be far off. :P
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Whose is the castle structure in the water? I'm building an mine track and it might come down in the water near your bridge so let me know if you object and I'll reroute it.

Also: Anery, mind if I join your track? I've built a station of the top of epictree :)
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Anery wrote: Yeah, the only problem is that you have to use them/right click them, to make them go, and you can't sit on them sadly
You can sit in an empty cart in front though, right?
There's also a 'bug' that allows you to put a cart between you and the forge cart, which allows it to push you up a 1:1 incline :D
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Seeing as coal furnaces work, I suggest we leave a supply of coal, stone and minecarts at every station, and if we have goods we want to send the other way, we can use our railway system.
Like say; someone has a shortage of iron ingots, you chuck some ingots into a cart, put a coal cart behind, put sufficient coal into the furnace and send it on it's way. all the person in need of the goods has to do is wait for it. You can ride in the carts yourself, too, but like in the single player it cannot carry you uphill.
if we have connected every place of importance to our system, we could invite Notch to come and officially open it.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Bah, looks like our MC host is having troubles...