SP vs MP

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you prefer SP or MP?

SP
33%
MP
67%

Total votes: 6

Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

SP vs MP

Post by Thompy »

Something which has been on my mind for some years is my reluctance to get into single player games. I put it down to WoW mainly. After 5 years of playing nothing but it (off it for 5 months now, yay!), I'm finding myself with little motivation to play games, especially SP ones, and I'm constantly looking out for the next MMO or MP game. Currently on my mind: Brink, GW2, D3, Minecraft.

Once upon a time I would happily sit for hours/days on a SP game, as that was all there was. Now I think, what's the point? Granted there is no point to games other than to have fun, but what MP games now offer is a (potentially) greater sense of achievement and a lasting legacy. I think this ideal has warped me so badly very few SP games appeal to me, and I'm pretty pissed about it, considering the gems I'm almost forcing myself not to enjoy (case in point: FO3). I'd actually rather walk around idly doing nothing than try get into a game at times. Games I've recently bought and not played: Company of Heroes, Commandos 2, Dragon Age (almost at the end, felt compelled to start over but never have), SW:KOTOR.

What are your thoughts on SP and MP games these days?

Will MP games take over completely?

Are developers trying too hard to put both into games that both suffer? Or from a ye olde perspective, are developers trying too hard to fulfil the MP component that the real part of the game, the SP, suffers?

Are developers forced by current technology and social culture to release MP components or be told to gtfo by their publishers? This reminds of 2D vs 3D - tangent inc. There's some gorgeous 2D artwork being put into some indie games these days, but woe betide the company that releases an AAA title with no 3D.

Could be a good podcast topic, but alas not by me :P

Essays, go!
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

No essay.

I like both, but often I find multiplayer feels tacked-on.
There are a few games where it's the other way around, but it's rare.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I used to avoid multiplayer games outside LANs. The thought of mixing it with the internet proliteriat made me uneasy. I was more in control in an SP game, and I didn't have to compete. This started to change when I found 5punk - I didn't feel the need to compete, or that I was going to be abused for any little percieved infraction. I had the same transaction from MP action games to MMOs.

Now I find myself in the situation where I can't enjoy single player games as much because I have nobody to compare myself with. I feel isolated. I do enjoy some, but I'm more drawn to MP games now. I get some relief in SP from achievements, which allow a little comparison and connection. I also get some relief from discussing games here. However, it's not as immediate as the satisfaction of getting the better of another human, even if you only win 1 in 4 encounters.

As for the affect on games, they generally don't fit both SP and MP in my opinion. We al know how tacked-on multiplayer can feel in predominantly single player games. For me at least, COD4 and BFBC2 have been the start of a new generation of MP games with poor SP games tacked on, the polar opposite of the traditional scenario. It seems sandbox games which don't require interaction, but allow it, get the best of both - Burnout Paradise and Minecraft are two which immediately spring to mind, and in a slightly more abstract way (but I'm sure Eve players will agree) so does World of Warcraft.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Depends on the game. I quite like SP games where there is a story or at least have some sort of progression.

MP is nice, but I don't really like grinding too much (he says while playing Eve) so I tend to stick to shooters and RTS's for that where you can drop in and have a game or two before doing something else.

MP games will never take over completely, but I wouldn't be too suprised in the future if you start getting SP or MP games only, rather than the other tacked on, mostly due to increasing development costs. See Bioshock for the latest AAA series to be SP only really.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

SP games are great. Sometimes.

Problem I have these days is not generally having someone to chat with while playing, a bit of competition and shared experience goes a long way.

Still, they're generally much better at telling a story and setting a scene than in MP games, so they have value there.

Generally though, I prefer MP these days, there's more drinking and talking shit to be had. co-op is especially fun, as there's no other cunts to spoil the game (unless pnut is playing and getting the rage at AI) :P
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

Dog Pants wrote:Now I find myself in the situation where I can't enjoy single player games as much because I have nobody to compare myself with. I feel isolated.
That's exactly it for me. Although I should point out I'm not that competitive, and it can scare me to take part in some MPs. Minecraft yes, WoW yes, WoW PvP no, RTSs no. Stupid thing is I don't suck, I just feel anxious about failing in a highly competitive environment.
Last edited by Thompy on October 22nd, 2010, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

SP for strategy games. If I have to do the FPS thing I prefer COOP cos I'm A. Shit at it and B. Get bored with repetitive run and gun. Really the only MP I do outside those is MMOs.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

In terms of playtime, I prefer singleplayer games, or multiplayer games that you can play without needing other people around. They represent the best value for money, as you can play whenever you want to. In terms of fun, nothing beats a 5punky game of carnage and chaos.

WoW is my most-played, but that's because there's loads of content you can discover by yourself, but you can also join up with others if and when they are around. The model Burnout Paradise used (which actually Test Drive Unlimited did first) of blending SP and MP into your gameworld was kind of similar, though it didn't require online play (or a subscription) that also meant it suffered when there was no-one else around.

Games like Bioshock 2 and STALKER had thrown-together multiplayer modes which just cheapened the game worlds, whereas Bad Company 2 and Modern Weapons 2 had forgettable singleplayer modes, which unlike Battlefield 2's didn't even serve as a training mode.

I feel a bit cheated by the latter, but strangely not the former. All the RTS games I buy are primarily for singleplayer and they rarely disappoint, it's a shame AAA-FPS makers think they can get away with a lame everyday shooter SP story, particularly when you remember the epic scenes from the earlier CoD and MoH games.

The online FPS world outside of wholly-5punk-populated servers isn't a nice place and I don't choose to go there more than a couple of times a year. Left4Dead exemplifies this - playing with friends is what I want from a multiplayer game, but that can only happen in sporadic bursts.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

FatherJack wrote: Left4Dead exemplifies this - playing with friends is what I want from a multiplayer game, but that can only happen in sporadic bursts.
Unless Pete is playing. The utter bastard!
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

:wave:

I didn't mean to shoot you all with the grenade launcher just as the chopper arrived, honest!

In terms of one day no more SP, I'm not sure I can see that happening.

RPG's that offer the option to multiplay the story are fun, but sometimes you'll end up with people pulling in different directions when all you want is to save/rule the world all by yourself. I think there will always be room for RPG games to be SP and offer a higher level of escapism.

Unfortunately the FPS version of this is a shitty sub ten hour tacked on SP that you just complete because it's there. I think the easiest think for FPS studios would be just drop the SP and focus all that extra time/manpower on a really polished and expansive shooter. Hell, even release it a tenner cheaper and release SP as another 20 quid game for those that like the story.

In the end I chose MP as getting drunk and doing stupid things is great. And surprisingly we sometimes border on the competent.