Minecraft

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

MP test server release tomorrow, albeit buggy and unfinished.
Legoshoes
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Legoshoes »

I'd rather wait until multiplayer has all the features of infdev/alpha.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I'd rather not wait, I want all features in SMP now.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

sortwares out for servers
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

MP server (hosted on the gonk)

80.3.106.90:25565

me and bits have been dorfing lots, and never surfaced more than 50' from the starting point.

have fun :)
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I ran a server locally (I'm behind a corporate firewall today :( ) and got sheets of ice in non-snow map. It was only section of the water surface as well. A bit odd.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

You think thats odd, I found a hole in the bottom of the world. Obviously, I jumped through. The other side is filled with angry clouds.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Joose wrote:I found a hole in the bottom of the world.
This was seen in the multiplayer test Notch did a couple of weeks ago. Did it look like this?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Code: Select all

[INFO] <MrJoose> ive found another hole to nowhere!
[INFO] <DrBerk> jump in!
[INFO] <MrJoose> I intend to :)
[INFO] <MrJoose> potentially crashing the server in 3...2...1...
[WARNING] MrJoose moved wrongly!
[INFO] <MrJoose> yeah....thats odd....
[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
[INFO] <shot2bits> yo joose, ya dead mon?
[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
[INFO] <MrJoose> im stuck in a world of madly spacking clouds that kill me over and over
[INFO] <shot2bits> kill em back
[INFO] MrJoose logged in
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Stuff that's broken:

Smelting - /iron in chat is a workaround
Chunk updating - If stuff immediately respawns, go another way.
Not able to pick stuff up - Throw your inventory at someone else, and reconnect
Inventory is local only, but stuff in the world stays, so you can pile planks up for later, but not sticks.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

spoodie wrote: This was seen in the multiplayer test Notch did a couple of weeks ago. Did it look like this?
Nope, totally different. I had mined down a lot, and found the funny grey impregnable stuff that normally marks the bottom. Then I found a bit where there was no funny grey stuff, just normal rock. Mined that out, and I could see sky. So, of course, I jumped in to see what happened. I fell out the bottom of the world, seeing it dissappear into the distance, upwards, and "moved wrongly". Then I died. Then I died. Then I died. Then I died. Then I died. Then I died. Then I died....
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

server seems pretty stable, had about 5 1/2 hours up with no crashes.

Time's static atm, probably related to mob spawn stuff.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

spoodie wrote:Someone made the video I couldn't be bothered to:

Minecraft Alpha Tutorial - How to Survive your First Night

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VWnQHS-ffs[/media]
It explains everything so it'll be of use even if you've not touched any of the Minecraft game modes. As before this is not for the free version.
Part 2 if you're interested (I haven't watched it).
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwp-E6Kh_fw[/media]

Also I'm running a server at: 94.168.89.232
Deface or try to break it all you want. :)
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

In my naivety I hadn't realised you had to dig underground for all the good ores, so I logged back in last night and decided to have another bash.

Cue a long sloping tunnel and torches dotted hither and thither. Finally struck gold (literally) and beyond, a seam of iron and coal. Got to work on my first iron pick and went crazy cutting out the surrounding blocks. Cue eerie music.

Managed to open up a hole into a humongous cavern filled with about six skeletons, three creepers, a giant spider, and a hoard of zombies. Sat at my 1x1 hole and smashed their faces off with my stone sword till I thought they were all gone. All was quiet.. The coast, clear?

Popped down and got perforated by arrows, and bravely killed off a few straggling archer-skelletons, dotting walls with torches as I went along. So, apparently this cave is larger than it first appears, and goes off around a corner. Suddenly, a wave of creepers, running at me and blowing up my torches - plunging me into darkness! The only hint of light was the tall exit I had back to my mine shaft. Scrolling through items I finally found my pickaxe and started to make a staircase.. BAM! I go up in flames.

And two more times following that, after I'd raced back to pick up my gear.

Gonna try and have another go assaulting the cave and blocking the corner off tonight. It's about the only thing that looks good on my temporary, tiny tiny monitor :D
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

There's work around for the furnace. Basically the server admin spawns a lit furnace model (give <player> 62). It still needs fuel and if you let it run out the furnace will turn into a useless unlit model. But it should work as expected while fuelled up.

/edit
Actually it's not that straight forward. If you can get a furnace to smelt then keep an eye on it or you may lose your stuff. Fiddle with it until it works.
Last edited by spoodie on August 5th, 2010, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

I'm interested in starting this but unsure of some things. When survival multiplayer is released, and presuming we have our own server here, will the idea be to work in co-op or killing each other? What happens when you're logged off, are your creations free to be assulted by others? (Presuming yes on that one) Is it a completely persisant world or is there some element of starting new games?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

WereRabbit wrote:will the idea be to work in co-op or killing each other?
I get the impression the general idea is for co-op, but there's unlikely going to be anything to stop other players beating you up. There's already lots of pro/anti-griefing activity on the forums, including elaborate defences and hidden bases. It might end up being a server option, but on a 5punk server destroying other 5punkers' work is likely to make you unpopular anyway.
WereRabbit wrote:What happens when you're logged off, are your creations free to be assulted by others? (Presuming yes on that one)
Yep, as far as I can tell. Again though, if it's our server that shouldn't be a problem.
WereRabbit wrote:Is it a completely persisant world or is there some element of starting new games?
I don't know for sure, but I'd strongly suspect there's a reset option on the server.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

It's Persistent as long as we want it to be.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Judging how close 5punk came to all out war when we messed with each others cocks in the creative mode I would imagine that any sort of non-coop would cause a something akin to giant penisageddon.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:It's Persistent as long as we want it to be.
:above:

At the moment you have to delete a load of files for the server to generate a new world.