Minecraft

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

(Beaten to it but posting anyway)
FatherJack wrote:couldn't work out how to take my workbench with me
Hit it until it breaks. The workbench (or crafting table) will be dropped like any other item, which you can then redeploy elsewhere. The same applies to most other things like that; chests, furnaces, etc.
FatherJack wrote:I think I'd misidentified oil/rock as coal.
There is no oil. Coal ore looks like rock but with black bits in it. Other ores use different colours, iron = brownish, gold = yellow, etc. Coal is dropped as soon as you smash the ore block, other ores require processing in a furnace. Contrary to what he says in the video you can break rock and ore blocks without a pickaxe but they drop nothing and it takes a lot longer.

There could be some confusion if you find flint, which looks similar to coal. Flint is sometimes dropped from gravel and is only useful for creating a fire lighter (Flint and Steel).
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Yeah, I got Image when I wanted Image because I'd mistaken Image for Image

Such a schoolboy error!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

That caught me out when I started too.

It's not an intuitive game, even if you're reading guides.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Kinda getting the hang of it, I finally found some coal and made a hidey-hole.

Unfortunately, investigating some noises at the back of my hidey hole, led to me discovering this.

I managed to kill the zombies, but couldn't kill the respawner - do they just have masses of health or they indestructible?

Also I wanted to try spoodies method of staying alive by having my own private island, but all the water is frozen over in any new maps I make, so I guess it wouldn't work.

I'm using the downloaded EXE version, and there don't seem as many options for generating worlds as the web-based one - is that just how it is for now?
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

theres no options in the latest version to determine how the world comes out, its just pot luck really

also those mob spawners take a long while to break, i dont think it can be done with just fists, i think stone tools are the first set of tools than can break them, the better tools you use the quicker it dies. i think the problem with fists/wooden tools is not that it wont break, it just takes so long that an enemy will spawn before you destroy it

also powered minecarts amongst other things where added today

i swear notch is in my brain, i was talking about powered carts with berk last night
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Mother fucker! I've been looking for a monster spawn for weeks and the first time I see one is here.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:Mother fucker! I've been looking for a monster spawn for weeks and the first time I see one is here.
Oops, on my second game as well.

The map is randomly snowy when generated, I discovered - I was just getting lots of snow maps in a row. I tried editing with NBTedit, but it doesn't un-snow an existing map - though it does let you edit your inventory, but you might as well play the design mode if you're going to do that.

I also tried a bit of map editing, which isn't as rewarding as doing it in-game, but I did make a nice lavaquarium. I was trying to see if the lava would melt away all the sea-ice, but got a bit carried away.

I think when I find out how to make glass properly in-game I'll turn my little zombie den into some sort of zoo.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Sand + Coal + Furnace = Glass
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:Mother fucker! I've been looking for a monster spawn for weeks and the first time I see one is here.
:lol: I've seen 2 or 3 now, while off on suicidal missions of exploration.

I've avoided investigating editing tools for the survival mode. It seems to me that it'll remove any point there is to the game.

Two changes this week have made arrows a lot easier to craft.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I noticed in his blog that Notch is a subscriber to PCG. Which presumably means he read my letter about Minecraft stealing our lives. Which may mean he went and had a poke about on our first creative mode server.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:I noticed in his blog that Notch is a subscriber to PCG. Which presumably means he read my letter about Minecraft stealing our lives. Which may mean he went and had a poke about on our first creative mode server.
Does that mean there'll be a cock tool in the next release?

I agree about the editing (spoodie), there's little point to it, and it's not that easy to use anyway. I just wanted to see if I could transform a snow map, since I thought I was stuck with them.

It's much more fun to build from within the game, growing stuff as the situation demands. I added a catwalk jutting out from the cliff face where my hidey hole is based, so I could prance down it and look down on the impotent gribblies, until a skeleton shot me and I fell off.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Man, I am fucking hooked on this game. I've now gotten myself lost in this massive underground cavern. I've found lots of iron and coal which is great but damned if I can find my way out. I should have been more methodical in laying my torches or something. Almost got killed by skeletons and creepers down there, but damn it's fun.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

We really need to play a bit of multiplayer together.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Mr. Johnson wrote:We really need to play a bit of multiplayer together.
I've been messing around in 5punktown on and off, hopefully we'll see co-op survival one day.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

FatherJack wrote:hopefully we'll see co-op survival one day.
The initial server release is due in a couple of days, but Notch has said it'll be rough. No enemy mobs initially and no doubt it'll be very buggy.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

spoodie wrote: The initial server release is due in a couple of days, but Notch has said it'll be rough. No enemy mobs initially and no doubt it'll be very buggy.
that :above: :above: hes hoping to get the mp released to a similar state as the current singleplayer in about a months time, narf i dont think it will really be worth playing survival mp untill that point
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

deject wrote:I should have been more methodical in laying my torches or something.
I lay paths of gravel towards the exit. I tend to drop torches everywhere to stop monsters spawning, so they're no use in finding the exit. It takes a bit of time though.
spoodie wrote:The initial server release is due in a couple of days, but Notch has said it'll be rough. No enemy mobs initially and no doubt it'll be very buggy.
Worth noting that when he officially releases survival MP it hits beta and the price goes up by 5 Euros.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

If you get lost. DIG UP.

There's every chance you're only 150 yards from your base on the surface.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:If you get lost. DIG UP.

There's every chance you're only 150 yards from your base on the surface.
I did that and got crushed by sand lol.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

do have to be careful about that.