Movie mini reviews

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Dog Pants wrote:Interesting stuff there MJ. I always feel there's gems out there in foreign languages that get overlooked because so many people will only watch films in English. Presumably you didn't need subtitles though.
Well, the counterfeiters and the lives of others are entirely in German, but John Rabe has all the actors speak their original language, so you get a mess of German, English, Chinese and Japanese. It's like living in Belgium!
Overall though, they mostly speak English as the Nanking committee has Americans in it (including Steve Buscemi) and quite frankly it works way better than the comedy German accents Hollywood always uses in their films, but the two films I liked up there are really worth watching if you can be arsed to read subtitles.
Bomberesque wrote:I don't watch many forin language films unless I get them off Amazon because they seem to peddle special versions of them over here with dubbed french and/or subtitles in Dutch but no ingrish subtitles so I'm stuck with Korean (or whatever the VO is), french or Dutch, none of which I know well enough (or can be bothered to learn)
Can't really blame for you not wanting to learn our languages, neither of them get you very far in life (although French is very handy when you live in Brussels)
Ironically I buy all my films from amazon.uk, as dvd's here are ludicrously expensive, I once bought an alien dvd set for 80 bleeding euros! One good point though is that films are never dubbed, which many of our neighbouring countries do.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

bomberesque wrote:boobies
I think The Lives of Others might have some boobies in it, or at least some kind of sex scene. Not in the Hollywood style mind. :)
bomberesque
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by bomberesque »

Mr. Johnson wrote:Can't really blame for you not wanting to learn our languages, neither of them get you very far in life (although French is very handy when you live in Brussels).
I can get by in French and my Vlaams is improving (mostly technical stuff though) but I'm nowhere good enough at either to follow written subtitles on a movie screen ... I can only just manage that in English......
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

When I watch English language films, I always turn on the subtitles, in English. It's not that I don't understand English, but I sometimes have a hard time following due to lack of attention span. It's a good way of learning new words I find.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

bomberesque wrote:
I can get by in French and my Vlaams is improving (mostly technical stuff though) but I'm nowhere good enough at either to follow written subtitles on a movie screen ... I can only just manage that in English......
You probably noticed that the language thing is a big problem here, I'm very tolerant about it and try to help people in their own language as best as I can. I don't speak French however, and when I go to Brussels and don't feel like making an ass of myself, I often pretend to be an English tourist, works every time.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

:lol:
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
bomberesque
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by bomberesque »

:lol: and I know Walloons who claim they pretend to be french tourists when they're in Flanders and suddenly the locals speak french!

Belgium is like the UK north/south divide added to the gap across the latin - Germanic divide (represented for us by the channel and the smelly french on the other side of it) all rolled into one messy muddle with Brussels somewhere on the flemish side of the middle, but populated by french speakers. It's all just too familiar whilst at the same time being overwhelmingly confusing.

/edit; I forgot to say; the beer, chips and chocolate make up for all the amusing politics about a billion times over. Which is why we're looking for a house to buy atm (actually I think that's just Bubble's way of stopping me buying a new car / bike but anyway, we are looking...)
Last edited by bomberesque on January 27th, 2010, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Mr. Johnson wrote:
Das Leben der Anderen (The lives of others)

This film, on the other hand, is a gem.
It's situated in East Germany in 1984, and is about a stasi captain that is ordered to monitor a writer that is suspected of anti-communist activities. The acting is all superbly done and the way they portrayed the bleak and mind-destroying East Germany is scarily well done and gives an interesting insight into the DDR.
It won fucktons of awards and as far as I'm concerned they were all deserved, watch this!
I really want to watch this - I've heard very good things about it.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Roman Totale wrote:I really want to watch this - I've heard very good things about it.
:above:

Actually, turns out I have it. win.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Very good film, good call mister J.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Anvil! The Story of Anvil (As one of the songs it featured is stuck in my head I thought I'd review.)

Billed as the real Spinal Tap, that's pretty much what it is, but not quite as good. The story meanders along and isn't particularly gripping. The main "character" is about as bright as an actual anvil, but likeable enough. It's worth seeing it through to the end for the pay-off and it's reasonably entertaining generally.

7/10
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

Not too bad, felt a little forced and like it was trying too hard in places, but mostly good clean fun.

Seemed to angle itself for a sequel though, which would be a bit of a shame.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

They Live (1988)

Somewhat 'under the radar' John Carpenter film about a man who finds a pair of sunglasses that show the world as it really is, controlled by aliens that hide in high society and urge us to reproduce and consume, so they can reap the benefits. Very entertaining blend of 'Invasion of the body snatchers' and 'the matrix', and also the origin of the famous Duke Nukem quote "I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum. ...and I'm all outta bubblegum" Classic Carpenter stuff.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've got They Live on DVD. Great film, in a quite bad but in a good way great, and essential viewing for fans (such as me) of grim dystopias.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

One of my all-time favourite films. Apart from the stupid fight scene.

OBEY<- link to the short story it's based on
Last edited by FatherJack on February 12th, 2010, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

FatherJack wrote:One of my all-time favourite films. Apart from the stupid fight scene.

OBEY
Yeah, the fight is pretty irrelevant to everything else, he could've just asked him to put the glasses on.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Mr. Johnson wrote:They Live (1988)
Am I being crazy or is this getting re-made?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Some internet denizen on IMDB wrote:"They are remaking They Live as we speak."

I can just imagine how defanged a remake will be. It will probably be a teen version, PG-13 and the aliens will be the rich kids in school or some stupid *beep* I can almost guarantee it will have none of the satire that makes the first one so good.

Which will be a shame, because right now it kind of feels like we are living in the movie.

And of course no Roddy or Keith David...
Alas, he's probably right.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Repo man (1984)

I find it hard to describe this film, I've only just watched it and I don't know what to make of it, but I'm under the impression it's brilliant. I can't give a proper description or anything without giving things away, so enjoy this for yourself.
HereComesPete wrote:
Am I being crazy or is this getting re-made?
You're not, they're going through John Carpenter's entire back catalogue of films, see also The Fog, Halloween and Assault on precinct 13. I've only seen the latter remake and I thought it was a piece of wank compared to the excellent original.