Fantasy Board Games

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

FatherJack wrote: Is that the same as cellulose thinners? I remember my dad used it to repair some technical lego of mine from a bike that took a journey down the stairs. You can buy buckets of if from Halfords for a few quid.
Nah, it's a concoction. Thinners iirc only reacts with a couple of specific plastics.

As for sand and grass, PVA is the way to go.
I also found that you can use sand to get a gravel effect, just need to paint the sand grey (and do some dry brushing with both darker and lighter colours) once the PVA is dry.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

I have about 12 unpainted necrons and a <a href="http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=necron nightbringer">nightbringer</a>, somewhere..
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Do any painters have a good technique for removing paint from figures? I've had reasonable success with Dettol, but it's not entirely effective.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

spoodie wrote:Do any painters have a good technique for removing paint from figures? I've had reasonable success with Dettol, but it's not entirely effective.
Not after it's gone and dried really, and it depends on paint.

I did find that Super Glue Remover worked really well at removing dried enamel at one point, however that was about 10 years ago and I can't remember if it did anything to the plastic as I seem to remember it being an spillage accident at the time.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

amblin wrote:I stopped painted when the dt's started...
I thought of this. Painting is a good reason to cut down. :)

The best product seems to be Pine Sol, but it's not easily available in the UK, unless you buy in bulk. Dettol has some of the main ingredient, pine oil, so it kind of works. There's a knack to it as well.

The paints I'm using are acrylic GW.
Lexy
Mushroom
Mushroom

Post by Lexy »

spoodie wrote:Do any painters have a good technique for removing paint from figures? I've had reasonable success with Dettol, but it's not entirely effective.
Methylated spirits. Leave the figure in a ice cream tainer or such like for a few hours, no more paint.

It might keep some bits of residue from the meths but you can rinse/brush it usually. Shouldn't damage the figure at all.

Allegedly brake fluid is good, too. >.>
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Does that work with plastic? I've seen people use turps on lead miniatures, but one mate found out that melts plastic ones.
Lexy
Mushroom
Mushroom

Post by Lexy »

Should do!

Just takes longer to strip the paint. Though I'd be more inclined to be a bit more careful with the plastics. I wouldn't leave a plastic figure in brake fluid or spirits over night.

It will dissolve glue on a short term basis, and probably your figure if you did it for far too long.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Surely a lot of this depends on what kind of plastic is used in the model?

and the type paint for that matter.

Once you've worked that out, it should be easy enough to find a suitable solvent. :P