Happy birthday Santa!

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Happy birthday Santa!

Post by Dog Pants »

It's Christmas Day. I got lots of booze and books. How are all you bummers? What did Santa bring you?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: Happy birthday Santa!

Post by Joose »

Woo! Chrimblemas for everyone!

So far, I've opened nothing, as I'm at the parentals and we don't open anything till after church. Distressing.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Christmas Werd!

I got some magnetic balls (no homo), a lego dude (sort of a joke gift but I loved it anyway), some slippers that are too small so now I have to get new ones, and a lovely giant mousepad with a diablo III barbarian on it which I got from my mum. My mum knows I like big bearded men, I guess.
Oh and a book about whiskey so I can get my whiskey boner on.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Or knows you are a big bearded man.

Mrs Pants set the timer on the bread maker last night so we had the lovely smell when we got up. I'm now eating spicy pickled onions which have turned out to be hot as the sun.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I got woken up at six with a cup of coffee and told it was time to feed the horses. I love Christmas!
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Merry homos, Christmas!

I got a book, a DVD, some coasters and a selection of foods. Today I shall be spending as brief a period of time as I can with the parentals.
Sol
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Sol »

I got the traditional christmas gift of a Cornelius Pressure keg and some hops.

I also enjoy singing along to the tradition christmas music

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGRQJ_ZKvvU[/media]
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

On a musical note (ahem), I got enough 80s music to spawn a third volume of Radio Free Dog Pants for the car. This one has the Safety Dance on it.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

I dont really celebrate christmas but happy holidays none the less, i do get days of i can spend playing games though which i cant complain about.

On an slightly related note to that is anyone interested in doing some portal 2 co-op today or tommorow? i tried playing with randoms but its just painfull
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

I'd love to but only have access to my craptop and even Minecraft makes that cry
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Holy shit, as if Christmas wasn't scary enough being bombarded by artillery, you got Michael Myers' impression of Santa visiting you on the front lines in Nazi Germany.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/57114/6905698
eRabbit
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by eRabbit »

Santa in the form of buzz got me a self stirring mug, which is incredible and has changed the way I live.

Hope you all had a cracking day bummers!
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Whiskey, chocolate and lots of books.

Also the Maru book. Aaawwwww.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Grimmie wrote:Also the Maru book. Aaawwwww.
Want!

FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Whisky, cheese and lots of books.

Are we predictably easy to buy for?

Even though everyone knows I play games, people hardly ever buy them me - apart from the imagined minefield of getting them for the right system (not actually a problem as I have all of them) they worry that they would either be sucky ones, or I'd have them already - which is fair enough.

My Mum did make what she called 'a minor faux pas' with the books, first buying a trilogy I already owned (and had told her about) then after taking them back and buying from a list where I'd specifically detailed what I owned/wanted still managed to get me one I'd already got, because the 'list was confusing'. I think that might go beyond 'faux pas'. To her immense credit though, she's still game to play the dotty old woman and take it back again - that is unless she's planning to play her trump card of making my Dad do it, who will do his 'it's all your fault for having such confusingly similar covers not like in the old days, how about that Microsoft Office 2010 I don't know where anything is' routine.

Much as I love them, I'm looking forward to a bit of unfamily time for a day or two.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Nice to see whisky popular this year. Nobody ever buys me games either, probably for similar reasons, but also because there's no way for them to know what I have. In the past, though, I've asked for specific games and not got them. I suspect it's seen by my mum as 'feeding my habit' (although whatever my favourite pastime is at any given point in my life has been an unhealthy habit, until I stop doing it again). So asking for games only ends in disappointment and me having to go out and buy them weeks or months later than I would have normally.

In fact, my parents have a habit of telling me to wait for my birthday if I ask for something for Christmas. I once asked for golf clubs - I'd been playing regularly for a few months and kept having to hire clubs. A cheap set was about £100, so I figured it was worth it. Not only did they make me wait until my birthday (I also wasn't allowed to buy my own, because they were buying them for me), just to make sure I stuck at it, but to add insult they got my dad a set for Christmas. My dad who had never swung a club in his life at that point, and still has never used them. I made a point of buying him golf stuff for the next few birthdays and Christmases for that.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Also, I did a blog article about the illusion of choice in games the other day if anyone fancies a read: http://www.geekinpublic.com/?p=221
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Dog Pants wrote:Also, I did a blog article about the illusion of choice in games the other day if anyone fancies a read: http://www.geekinpublic.com/?p=221
Thats a good read pants, quite thought provoking and touches on alot of the issues i have with game design routines used by the big developers, thankfully though we are in the rise of the indy dev who have the capacity to break the trends and it seems as if the big boys might be starting to take notes, we can only hope their shareholders are too.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

This was actually the first year I asked for games, but because Mrs Johnson is a poor student and games here are ridiculously expensive (every time I hear someone complain about a 40 pound game it makes me want to shoot myself) I didn't get any. Maybe I should get richer friends, or not be the only one in my circle of close friends with a credit card.

Then again, those magnetic balls I got will probably keep me occupied for far longer than uncharted 3 would, for less than half the price.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Mr. Johnson wrote: Then again, those magnetic balls I got will probably keep me occupied for far longer than uncharted 3 would, for less than half the price.
However going through customs will be much trickier.