Most AM2 Motherboards Not Phenom Ready

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

yeah, AMD is in some deep shit right now. This makes me a sad panda, looks like I'll be dumping AMD next upgrade.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

deject wrote:yeah, AMD is in some deep shit right now.
:above: They've really fucked up quite hard. (though, it seems most mobos could be phenom happy, it's just bios updates aren't forthcoming for a lot of them)
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Well, the tech seems to suggest the motherboards would be happy, but the mish mash of architectures, cores, lack of bios updates, changes in voltage needs etc all add up to another massive fail from AMD.

They bought ATi just before they crashed and burned, thankfully ATi seem to have saved themselves with fast release of far better cards; but AMD seem to be blinded by the headlights in regard to sorting out the phenom, it needs unfucking and soon, or they will drown in the deep shit.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I think their timing on the buyout of ATI could not have been worse.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I really don't understand why this occurred.

While I've always favoured the Intel+nVidia combination - owning mostly to my machines in the past being built from work's cast-offs and only recently getting the money to build my own coinciding with that combination being the zeitgeist - while taking the odd opportunity to scoff at the opposition, I've always been a fan of proper competition keeping prices sensible. Also, if I'd actually been paying for my boxes down the years - some combination of AMD and ATi would surely have figured.

AMD have always had a good selling point - whether it be their overclock potential, price/performance ratio or technical aspects (ie: "real" quad core) - but detractors have always accused them of merely aping Intel.

Is this claim bizarrely becoming true? Intel's new 45nm CPUs are partly incompatible with third-party mobos - clearly trickery is afoot to boost their own mobo sales - but what do AMD stand to gain by doing the same thing?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I don't think this is planned, it's probably a postit note on the likes of:

"Contact mobo makers to sort out CPU support for phenoms"

The type of postit you stick on a pc/monitor/board and totally forget about it when something else comes along.

Even so, :lol:

How unfortunate for them.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

FatherJack wrote:I really don't understand why this occurred.

While I've always favoured the Intel+nVidia combination - owning mostly to my machines in the past being built from work's cast-offs and only recently getting the money to build my own coinciding with that combination being the zeitgeist - while taking the odd opportunity to scoff at the opposition, I've always been a fan of proper competition keeping prices sensible. Also, if I'd actually been paying for my boxes down the years - some combination of AMD and ATi would surely have figured.

AMD have always had a good selling point - whether it be their overclock potential, price/performance ratio or technical aspects (ie: "real" quad core) - but detractors have always accused them of merely aping Intel.

Is this claim bizarrely becoming true? Intel's new 45nm CPUs are partly incompatible with third-party mobos - clearly trickery is afoot to boost their own mobo sales - but what do AMD stand to gain by doing the same thing?
I highly doubt that. The problem is more likely just a side-effect of the new manufacturing process and the problems they are having with it.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

deject wrote:I highly doubt that. The problem is more likely just a side-effect of the new manufacturing process and the problems they are having with it.
Indeed. Since they don't have their own chain of Phenom-capable mobo suppliers ready it just seems totally daft to release the chip without some agreements with major mobo manufacturers to ensure most current AM2 board owners can actually use the damn thing.

The article seems to be blaming the mobo makers more than AMD, but unless there's some reticence on the mobofacturer's part to adopt this technology (which I doubt, since the alternative doesn't profit them any more) it just seems clumsy of AMD to release it without ensuring support is there. Surely AMD could have worked more closely with the motherboard suppliers who are pretty much their lifeline right now, or at least delayed release until the support was there.

If AMD are just rushing it out and hoping mobo makers can adapt and save their arses, forgoing any official testing with samples sent to recognised third-party motherboard suppliers for compatibility testing, then they are in far deeper shit than I imagined - that breaks so many levels of quality control I'd assumed as a given. And that's bad for all of us - buy your Intel CPUs now, before they can charge whatever the fuck they like for them.
Plug Full of Lead
Kitten
Kitten

Post by Plug Full of Lead »

:) Nice find DKB
I can only say I am glad I bought a ASUS M/B :shock: