Minecraft

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

FatherJack wrote:maps
ZOMG! :shock:

Looks like I need to set aside a couple of days/weeks to explore
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

eep! Been desparately trying to avoid minecrack for fear I will become hopelessly addicted (again). But if multiplayer survival works properly this could be awesome...

Also, werd up hamblin person, long time no see. :wave:
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Official forums have a lot of new-torch-hate, but also rumour that existing torches will convert into lanterns.

Hmm, whether to make a torch field or not?
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

mrbobbins wrote:Official forums have a lot of new-torch-hate, but also rumour that existing torches will convert into lanterns.

some guy on twitter wrote:@notch on account of the 700 torch threads on the forum, when Halloween update comes will you replace all preexisting torches with lanterns?
notch wrote:yes.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

It's worth noting that if we want all the new stuff we'll likely have to generate a new map. I wouldn't be too bothered to see my stuff go but others are working on more large scale projects. Perhaps I could run a Halloween special server as well as someone keeping the current one going. Although splitting us up on two servers might make both a little quiet.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Wow, there's stuff on those maps big enough to see even in the thumbnail and I'm quite pleased my Star Destroyer yard is one of them. I don't think there's enough room for it though, vertically, so I might have to do it elsewhere. I've noticed 5punkers have a thing about outdoing each other in terms of scale.

EDIT: Also, I don't mind a new server particularly.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

I don't mind starting a new map, even though I've put hours in it's only really been a disposable time sink.

What I'd really like, once the game is properly functional, is a fresh map with no OP powers, and a forced difficulty of at least a certain level. Even if we kept current maps and took away OPs, I'd have the niggling feeling that what we've made was done without danger and by cheating.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

WereRabbit wrote:I don't mind starting a new map, even though I've put hours in it's only really been a disposable time sink.

What I'd really like, once the game is properly functional, is a fresh map with no OP powers, and a forced difficulty of at least a certain level. Even if we kept current maps and took away OPs, I'd have the niggling feeling that what we've made was done without danger and by cheating.
Calling it cheating is a rather harsh overstatement I would say. It's not like anyone disabled anything to get rid of the monsters. The game is still in Alpha for crying out loud.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yeah, it's not cheating but we're not doing an awful lot we couldn't do in creative mode. Without any monsters though there's not much else to do.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

deject wrote:
Calling it cheating is a rather harsh overstatement I would say. It's not like anyone disabled anything to get rid of the monsters. The game is still in Alpha for crying out loud.
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough perhaps :P

By cheating I mainly meant using commands to get blocks for free and I didn't mean it in a derogatory way. Yes, as the game is in alpha with broken survival aspect then no, currently it doesn't matter, and without "cheating" it'd be pretty boring. But I'd have misgivings about carrying on those maps/behaviour to the proper game. And I still maintain that using maps created in a vastly easier environment, with pre-gathered resources and bases would take the fun away.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, just a thought.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Well if nothing else creepers would blow most of it up anyways.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I hope the new monsters include a creeper-pult.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

mrbobbins wrote:Official forums have a lot of new-torch-hate, but also rumour that existing torches will convert into lanterns.

You might be better off making a torch chest, word is the the lanterns might smash rather than be pick-up-able.

In terms of cheating, aside from some water spawns for decoration and some TNT for experimentation I don't remember cheating at all. Of course having it on peaceful is a bit cheaty, as is dropping your tools, but I don't see it as a game-breaker. It's down to the individual not to overuse it.

As far as the proper survival game goes, yes I would expect the structures to be less epic, though I certainly don't intend to let that stop me trying. It would also be interesting to see how defensible our existing structures are - in my case not very as I often find pigs and chickens stuck inside appreciating the obsidian.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

In my imagination I see hordes* of 5punkers desparately defending their epic structures against waves of scary monsters lest they run rampant and mash up our bacon generators. During the day we will frantically rebuild and repair ready for the next night of mayhem.

There may be some way to go before the game gets to that state though.

*insert appropriate collective noun here
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

I'm with Jack on the cheating thing, I've only spawned TNT for clearing crap out of the way for my pyramid, everything else I've grown, mined, or crafted myself (That really long arm going Northwest on the map was me searching for reeds :lol:
That said it was Berk who supplied my with the stone for my pyramid for which I say cheers!
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

friznit wrote:hordes* of 5punkers

*insert appropriate collective noun here
Didn't we decide that collectively we're known as a tangent?
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

buzzmong wrote:Didn't we decide that collectively we're known as a tangent?
As much as we can make a final decision on anything - http://www.5punk.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=36447
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

All I've spawned has been tnt, which still isn't available due to (afaik) creepers not being in smp yet.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Looks like Notch has forgone titles for his blog feed, so Trev isn't picking them up. Latest is a picture of the Hell dimension, and it looks awesome. There's a few unidentified blocks there that's I'd like to find out about.