Format PC

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

redrum217uk
Kitten
Kitten

Post by redrum217uk »

I'm just installing Fear now and gonna patch it up to date before i play it.

Of course I'm not pulling a sickie I'd be too scared you seen what they do to you when you call in sick these days! lol I'm off today cos I'm going to Amsterdam tomorrow so want to get things sorted for that.

I hope your not playing on the internet at work! I'm not good enough to be givin internet access! :(

I have noticed while downloading that the speeds are faster, I used to hardly ever d/l that made full use of my 10mb connection now its like all the websites are giving a good 1MB/s.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Haha, touché! I'm, um, on my lunch break. Thats it - lunch break. :oops: :)

Have fun on your travels mate.
redrum217uk
Kitten
Kitten

Post by redrum217uk »

Lateralus wrote:Haha, touché! I'm, um, on my lunch break. Thats it - lunch break. :oops: :)

Have fun on your travels mate.
hehe I'm sure I will!

Just tried out FEAR i ran a performance test with everything maxed out. Before Fista I'd get about 32fps av and now with Fista I get 45fps av! So thats a canny increase!

:shock:

I'm finding it hard to fine a free AntiVirus though none of them support the x64 Fista!
cashy
Zombie
Zombie

Post by cashy »

redrum217uk wrote: Just tried out FEAR i ran a performance test with everything maxed out. Before Fista I'd get about 32fps av and now with Fista I get 45fps av! So thats a canny increase!
Good god! How healthy was your xp when you tried fear with it though? Fairly old and running like a mule? If not then go Fista :w00t:
redrum217uk
Kitten
Kitten

Post by redrum217uk »

cashy wrote:
Good god! How healthy was your xp when you tried fear with it though? Fairly old and running like a mule? If not then go Fista :w00t:
I did the XP test 3 days ago after I restored factory settings on my pc in hope to sort out some probs before I upgraded to Fista, which it did.

Anyway it was a nice fresh install of XP so the tests were quite fair I think.

:) :P
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Well it sounds good, but I must say I'm doubtful. Theres a News Reader thread where someone tested 25 games on XP and Fista and found Fista a little bit slower, but mostly due to driver issues.

My main gripe is that tests are always done on PCs more like Chicken's than like mine, and I think I'd have some serious doubts about my PC's ability to run Fista and games prettily and at the same time.

So the only obvious solution is for people to give me all their great bits of kit! Anyone got a spare GFX card better than a 6600GT, or a large SATA hard drive, an AMD64 cpu above 3000, or a sound card, that they want to give me? :)
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Lateralus wrote:Anyone got a spare GFX card better than a 6600GT, or a large SATA hard drive, an AMD64 cpu above 3000, or a sound card, that they want to give me? :)
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes. No. :)
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Lateralus wrote:Well it sounds good, but I must say I'm doubtful. Theres a News Reader thread where someone tested 25 games on XP and Fista and found Fista a little bit slower, but mostly due to driver issues.
Just about to post that *mind piss*

http://www.5punk.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 1352#71352
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

:P

What do you actually have spare though. I'd even go so far as to consider buying something, if it wasn't going to be for much. Student-poverty has this horrible way of lingering.
pixie pie
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by pixie pie »

Were you running 64bit XP? Because the move up on that could increase the speed of the game, I wouldn't expect it would give you that large an increase, especially as FEAR was made for DX9. How odd. A nice oddity though I'm sure!

You mentioned not being able to find a free antivirus. What with the fact you've just bought a microsoft operating system, it might be worth paying for one. :)
redrum217uk
Kitten
Kitten

Post by redrum217uk »

Yeah is Fista x64 but I have windows:MC and thats 64 2 isnt it?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

redrum217uk wrote:Yeah is Fista x64 but I have windows:MC and thats 64 too isnt it?
not as far as I know, remember non x64 OSs will work on x64 cpus.
redrum217uk
Kitten
Kitten

Post by redrum217uk »

So far the things I have found that don't work on Fista at all are

Call of Duty 2 The screen turns grey and I have to reboot.

DivX Player same as call of duty however they are working on drivers.

Anti Virus! Nothing works I even downloaded a few "90 day free ones" but the dont work with x64 even microsofts doesn't work!

I have a few problems with Prey but I think thats the game itself, as loads of other peeps have similar probs. Its working fine now though.

I can't access my works webmail!!??? strange but it works on my other PC

Creative "Auto update" won't work keeps saying the server is busy yet it works on my other PC. I have the drivers (beta) for my sound card but I can't fiddle with the settings because I can't get the software! Creative say proper drivers will be out in March.

Everything else so far has been fine.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

redrum217uk wrote: Anti Virus! Nothing works I even downloaded a few "90 day free ones" but the dont work with x64 even microsofts doesn't work!
Sophos does :)

Just got a 100% rating from Virus Bulletin magasine as well for the Fista product

http://www.sophos.com/products/es/endpoint/eval/

getcha 30 day free trial here!
redrum217uk
Kitten
Kitten

Post by redrum217uk »

Got it thanks! and it works fine!

:)