Prebuilt PC choices

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Air in the front, out the back/top.

An antec gaming case will fit anything you can buy.

Depending where you are, you could harrang a 5punker to put it together for you, we've enough people spread around the country that it shouldn't be a big job.
I think I'm on my own down here in Wiltshire. A kind offer for sure though. I can see why friz just went and bought one, it's little hassle lets face it. Not done the math yet but I'm sure there cant be that big a gap between prebuilt and buying all the parts seperately.

Advantage to building is I can make sure I get the latest chipsets etc, not that I know what those are anymore, like is a Bloomfield or a Nehalem better? Very out of touch like I said.

Edit: According to the reliable and never false wikipedia, Nehalem is the latest batch of chips. However, Nehalem is the architecture not the chipset, OCUK have Nehalem down as the chip name (Bloomfield, Lynnfield etc) thus confusing me more, also the i7 860 says it's socket LGA1156, this is also new to me. Can't find any up to date buyers guides.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

When I bought my PC (in 1999) it turned out cheaper to buy a decent spec machine going on special offer and replace the few substandard bits or any bits that broke (CD player). They build them en masse so get the parts cheaper. Course things might have changed in 11 years, but self-built might not necessarily be cheaper.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

It's still the same with big brands, but OCUK and the like build a machine from their usual stock, at stock prices, then add £x on for the pleasure.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Imperatore wrote:I think I'm on my own down here in Wiltshire
I believe Amblin is down in Wiltshire, but he's vanished.
Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

Dog Pants wrote:When I bought my PC (in 1999) it turned out cheaper to buy a decent spec machine going on special offer and replace the few substandard bits or any bits that broke (CD player). They build them en masse so get the parts cheaper. Course things might have changed in 11 years, but self-built might not necessarily be cheaper.
Just selected all parts seperate for their Titan Onyx, £1038 built, parts £1015.49.

Edit: I worked with Amblin, he has recently left though.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

These days it's so easy to build your own I suspect it's not competitive for generic, pre-built PCs to be that much more experience than the components and some labour. If you get don't like putting it together yourself and you're not bothered about specific components pre-built is a valid option.

I bought my first PC in the late 90s and built my own since then. I don't really keep up with what's happening on the component front so I ask here what's good and add a little common sense and budgeting. Then spend a couple of hours plugging everything into the hole it fits. It's kind of enjoyable putting something together, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

When I bought my PC (in 1999) it turned out cheaper to buy a decent spec machine going on special offer and replace the few substandard bits or any bits that broke (CD player). They build them en masse so get the parts cheaper. Course things might have changed in 11 years, but self-built might not necessarily be cheaper.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

buzzmong wrote: I believe Amblin is down in Wiltshire, but he's vanished.
He has rather. Then again he was very prematurely middle aged and angry about it :lol:
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Dog Pants wrote:When I bought my PC (in 1999) it turned out cheaper to buy a decent spec machine going on special offer and replace the few substandard bits or any bits that broke (CD player). They build them en masse so get the parts cheaper. Course things might have changed in 11 years, but self-built might not necessarily be cheaper.
Yeah, you told us already. :P
Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

Antec 900 looks tasty, lots of fan options. Heard they get dusty so looked at these filters
Anyone got any?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

the antec 902 might be sensible, comes with filters.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

That looks sensible, I'm fast becoming a big fan of cases with mesh and felcher fronts.

I think I actually prefer my cheapish Coolermaster Centurion over my Antec P180 due to them (and the fact there's more room).
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

buzzmong wrote:big fan
Hurr.
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

:lol:
I've been trying to gauge whether the Antec Mini p-180 is big enough to fit my components in. My previous computer was* lovely and small but sadly couldn't be adapted to fit the new mainboard.

*is. I must find a way of appropriately getting rid of old computers. I'm using two as a CD shelf.
Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

Like the 902 a lot. Lose a few speed controls on fans that one would have with 900 but filters more than make up for it.

Edit: Next question, LGA1156 or 1336? Can one presume that 1336 is somehow superior as the number is higher or is it not that black and white?
Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

Antec 902 delivered. I7 930 ordered along with Asus P6X58D. Next I'll be researching memory and PSU's.