Blood Bowl

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Gobbos: Squishy.

That's 6 injured and 4 KO'd. Leaving me with 4 players on the pitch.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

:lol:

I *really* wanted to clear the field. Ah well, something to aim for next time.
Lexy
Mushroom
Mushroom

Post by Lexy »

Anyone found a better strategy than picking the most bashy team and ignoring the ball yet?

I managed to make a good wood elf team that could do aweso one turn touchdowns and such like but then I had a few bad dice rolls and they all got deaded. :(
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I actually managed to win a game for the first time using the lizards and buying rerolls and fan factor as DP suggested instead of spending all the money on players as I had done before.

I failed the training, so was a player down, but managed to score in the first half and spent the rest of the match just trying to close down their ball carriers until time ran out.

Sadly I now have about four players out of action injured for the next match, so haven't gone back to it yet.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Lexy wrote:Anyone found a better strategy than picking the most bashy team and ignoring the ball yet?

I managed to make a good wood elf team that could do aweso one turn touchdowns and such like but then I had a few bad dice rolls and they all got deaded. :(
As FJ mentions up there, lizardmen are a good running team with some bashy ability. There's a guide to them somewhere, but basically it comes down to beating stuff up with your Saurii until there's a gap for your Skinks to exploit.

By the way FJ, if you can't field a full team of 11 the game makes up the difference with mercenaries for free.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Sadly the rest of that season didn't go so well, next up was the dwarves and I nearly ragequit when they scored almost straight away with two audacious passes. I remembered DP saying that can happen on easy, but it evened itself out - in the second half a few times they did some very strange things, running and passing deep into their own half and I managed to grab an equaliser.

Next up was the skaven who skipped two past me right at the start, seemed good at picking up the ball but then didn't do much with it. I had a chance to grab a loose ball, but fumbled it out of play. It fell right at the feet of the two that went past me at the start and they scored the only goal of the match immediately.

Then, I thought, I'd be presented with the final league table, but sometimes the game isn't very forthcoming with what's happening - all options were greyed out except Prepare Match and I was catapulted into another game with the dwarves. I now realise this was a playoff, but for what I'm not sure.

The match took an eternity, a pitch invasion at half time left both teams depleted, and it was 0-0 at full time. Eight turns into extra time, despite feeling I had the edge, the dwarf team decided to unexpectedly make all their injured players stand up (it hadn't bothered all half). I was down to three saurii one skink and trying to manoeuver it into picking up the ball and suddenly outnumbered. They scored.

The dwarves finished top of the table, and me bottom - so I don't really get what the playoff was for - normally they are to decide between team in adjacent positions.

I seem to be improving a little, although much of the mechanics remain a mystery to me - why I sometimes only get unfavourable dice to choose from, two identical dice (what's the point?) or why when choosing a favourable die the opposite result sometimes occurs. I know some of my errors have already been covered in DP's guides - it's just a lot to remember, especially when I glimpse daylight and get greedy for a touchdown.

In fact there's a lot to remember all the time and I keep forgetting to do no-risk actions before riskier ones, or sometimes which are which, so I've made a brief list which more adept players may able to confirm/deny.

No risk
Standing up
Moving to another location on all-green squares, even next to an opponent

Low risk
Attacking an opponent smaller than you, particularly when you have teammates adjacent and they don't
"Passing" the ball to a teammate in an adjacent square

Medium risk
Running over red squares
Passing over 2 or 3 squares
Tackling opponent when size/teammates is about even
Picking up the ball

High risk
Running away from/past their big guy
Long passing with opponents in the way
Running onto the white dice squares
Tackling a larger/better protected opponent
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

That list seems mostly rightish, but dont forget that some of depends on who you are playing as. For instance, picking up the ball is low risk with a high agility player, but high risk with a low agility player. Same goes for dodging out of their big guy: not a big risk with some big guys, but others have skills that *will* fuck you up.

As for the "red squares" thing: Dont forget that is the square you are going to from the red square that determines how hard it is. Dodging out of a red square onto a non red square isnt that hard (again, easier for the wood elves than dwarfs), but going into another red square means you are dodging into another players tackle zone, which makes it harder. Two tackle zones, even harder. Three tackle zones, forget it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

What Joose said. Also, running into the dice squares (going for it, as it's called), is a 1 in 6 chance of falling over with a reroll, with no modifiers. It's not that risky in general, and I'll normally go for it to get a closer range with a pass because it reduces the chance of a fumble.

The rackling thing with other people around you sepends on a few things. It sounds more complicated than it is.

If you're one on one, it's just your strength vs his.
If one of you has a buddy who isn't in another tackle zone you get a +1.
If your buddy is in another guy's tackle zone it cancels his assist unless he has the guard skill.
Big guys still only add +1 to the roll as far as I know. However they're usually so strong that even with assists they're going to be hard to take down.

I'll try to get a screenshot later to explain more clearly.

EDIT: I agree about the leagues. They really need to show you what's going on. Just a screen after each match with the table on it would be nice. Some indication of who you're playing next would also be nice. One day I'd hope to run a little 5punky league and we can do that bit ourselves.
Thinking about MP, I'd like to play people with TS so I can explain why things go wrong. Unfortunately it's unlikely to happen outside a fri/sat night.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Recycling this picture I'll try to explain tackle zones and assists a bit better.

Left hand orc wil be effectively fighting one-on-one against the human. His opponent has another enemy tackle zone over him from the troll, but since the troll is in the tackle zone of both the centre human and the ogre he won't get to assist unless he has the block skill.

The troll can attack either of the humans and the ogre. If he goes for the left hand human or the ogre he wil get an assist off the left or right orc respectively because they have a tackle zone on the troll's target and are not in the tackle zone of any other opposing player. Against the centre human he has no support. If those two orcs on the outside weren't there then he would have three opposing tackle zones on him from the ogre and the left hand human, which would assist his target.

The right hand orc will have to take on that ogre on his own if he blocks, because the troll is tied up with the two left hand human players.

It's just a matter of seeing who else is free around your target. The easiest way of working it out though is simply to mouseover your target and seeing how many icons your cursor displays.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Hahaha, those bloody slippy rats. To be fair to the game, both teams are delicate and you both sounded to have ended up in a fighting game. You also both sound like you're more of a victim to the dice than the other player, which probably means you're playing too risky a game.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:You also both sound like you're more of a victim to the dice than the other player, which probably means you're playing too risky a game.
Partially this, although I don't think he was playing *outrageously* risky. I would love to take credit for the win, but really, it was more due to the dice hating him and wanting him to suffer. I was keeping an eye on it, he at one point rolled 5 1's in a row, and ive *never* seen that many deaths in one game. I don't think it would have mattered how tactically he was playing with rolls like that.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've never seen that many deaths in a game either, but then I've never seen Skaven and Elves playing like Dwarves. Apparently someone is doing a survey of rolls on the BB forums and the dice are coming up fine. However, I've had rolls of four skulls in a row on at least three occasions.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'm chucking together a mod pack including all my team logos (I don't use them all myself) and some of the good remodel projects (cheerleaders in particular, as most of the vanilla ones are pants).

Anyone want a custom team logo in there while I'm still putting it together?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

An interesting game has just been had with Joose; my Chaos team (The Fighting Cephalopods) Vs Joose's Elves (The Hippy Harriers).

Recieving the ball I immediately retrieved it with my one Beastman with Block, while Joose sits back and defends deep. Taking my time to cage in the ball carrier, I hurry to the half way line and start to steamroll my way up the pitch with most of my team around the ball. Joose is content to harry me with the odd Blitz, but is mostly content to slow me down by staying just out of range. Later it turns out that both our tactics involved me being slow - Joose in the hope I wouldn't score by the end of the half, me hoping I could score in the last minute and deny him the chance of going on the offensive. As it turned out I scored just before the whistle. 1-0 to the Cephs.

With Joose starting off on the offensive he immediately dodges half his team through my defences and ends up with the ball caged halfway to my touchline with only two defenders behind the ball. My team rallies to surround the knot of Elves, but somehow a short pass to an outrunner and a few dodges, and the Elf crosses the line. Two turns in and the Harriers have equalised. This means I have to score in 6 turns to win. Not impossible, but it means I have to make a riskier advance. This means at worst Joose has to hold me up like last time, and at best I get too impetuous and drop the ball. The latter would give the blisteringly fast elves, no doubt in position already, to score very quickly. Everything was left to play for. But then Joose's computer crashed.

Ah well, such is life. Despite the disconnect though, this was a very close game with two very different teams playing exactly as they were meant to. It really showed, and was a great match because of it.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Ah well, such is life. Despite the disconnect though, this was a very close game with two very different teams playing exactly as they were meant to. It really showed, and was a great match because of it.
:above: Im finally getting to grips with how to play defensively as a squishy team, which makes all the difference. My attacking play that got me the TD was a bit all or nothing though: one duff roll and I would have been in a baaad position.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

After the untimely disconnect, Joose and I replayed the Hippy Harriers Vs Fighting Cephalopods game. It was probably the most intense (and enjoyable) game I've played yet. Joose has indeed perfected his defensive strategy, while in typical elf style his offence relied on speed and agility. Both teams played true to fashion though and by the end of the first half the game was 1-1, with one of my better players dead and two of his injured, including a broken leg for his Wardancer. In the second half I returned the favour of killing one of his players, but a fumbled ball in his half allowed him to spirit the pigskin away and run in a lightning fast touchdown before I could form an effective defence. With me 2-1 down and not much time, things were looking bad. However, a few more injuries had left him thin on the ground and with a couple of turns left I managed to smash my way up left field. A draw was imminent, but a last minute reprise presented itself for me in the form of a quick snap event. This gives me a free turn on the defence, allowing me to burst through his thin lines and trash the only nearby elf. With a turn to go and two Beastmen standing over both the ball and his prone Thrower another Chaos touchdown looked on the cards. Rapid as ever, though, the Elves came from nowhere to snatch the ball away, and the whistle blew with neither team being able to take advantage of it. Final score 2-2, and a dead player each. Intense.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Mod pack is pretty much done now, I've just to package it up in an installer. It includes:

Remodelled cheerleaders for Skaven (removed silly robes) and Human (replaced long skirt with cheerleader skirt).
Extra skins for all Skaven and Lizardmen (now 9 skins for all in a variety of colours).
Reskinned Witch Elf face.
Custom logos:
  • 2 Chaos
    3 Dark Elf
    3 Dwarf
    2 Goblin
    4 Human
    2 Lizardmen
    12 neutral
    3 Orc
    3 Skaven
Before I package it there's the option of a Dark Elf cheerleader without the skirt (just thong and fishnets, apparently that's more in character), which I left out because I preferred the originals. I've also room for any number of extra logos, either specific ones for players' custom teams or generic ones. I've not found any I like for Elves yet, so suggestions are welcome.
Some works in progress I've seen are Slaanesh daemoness Chaos cheerleaders, which look fantastic, and Khorne skinned Chaos team.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Dog Pants wrote:Khorne skinned Chaos team.
Really? Hmmm. That may just tempt me into the fight ballgame.