Movie mini reviews

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bomberesque
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by bomberesque »

Roman Totale wrote: The whole film relies on 'shock' faaabulous gags - there is no subtlety to it whatsoever.
aside from the faaabulous angle, that's pretty much what I thought of Borat. Ho hum, will avoid.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

MORDETH LESTOK wrote: A day in the life of Pete...
I wish! My life is painfully mundane compared to that. I would pay good money for a day in my life to contain that much awesome.
MORDETH LESTOK
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by MORDETH LESTOK »

Diary of a Madman (1963)
A Vincent Price movie that was based on a short story from Guy de Maupassant, "The Horla".
Simon Cordier, a ruthless magistrate in 19th-century Paris who becomes possessed by the malevolent spirit (or "horla") of a condemned murderer.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fL8FCiAeT4[/media]
It's a Vincent Price movie...need I say more?
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I got excited because I thought it was film based on the Nikolai Gogol book then :(
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Great entertainment in 3D, some fantastic scenery and action sequences, shame the plot is rather naff and predictable and the acting is a bit crap. Actually the best actor is the main female alien, the facial expressions are very good.
Summary: Fern Gully 3D (with robots)

In 3D I'd give it
:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starhalf: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty:

I can't imagine enjoying it that much at home though so for non-3D
:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty:
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Well I thought it was awesome, for a blockbuster.
MORDETH LESTOK
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by MORDETH LESTOK »

mrbobbins wrote:Actually the best actor is the main female alien, <strike>the facial expressions are very good</strike> shes hawt!
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

She's the one who played the new Uhura.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Rob Zombie's Halloween II

Just watched this, sequel to the oddly good Rob Zombie's Halloween, only unfortunately this one lacks a great deal of the loomis type stuff, and falls back almost entirely on classic horror and extreme violence.

Not exactly bad, but not what I was hoping for.

Does have Brea Grant in for perving over though. :)
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Sherlock Holmes

Very well done, Downey, Jr. and Jude Law play their parts well, and a rather well done representation of 19th century London. Very Guy Ritchie-esque movie, with the varying film speed and such. Nothing too serious, and pretty funny.

8/10
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

deject wrote:Sherlock Holmes

Very well done, Downey, Jr. and Jude Law play their parts well, and a rather well done representation of 19th century London. Very Guy Ritchie-esque movie, with the varying film speed and such. Nothing too serious, and pretty funny.

8/10
I too really enjoyed it. Didn't actually realise it was a Guy Rich Tea film until the credits rolled.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

I didn't see it while watching it in the theater, it was after I had left and started thinking about Snatch, etc. If it weren't for the massive change in scenery, it would be easy to spot I think.
MORDETH LESTOK
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by MORDETH LESTOK »

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

:lol:
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

The Road (2009)

You've never seen a more bleak and desperate post-apocalyptic film. It's not one for a Saturday night, but if you like the genre it's a must see. There's not as much action as the trailer suggests, it's more subdued, as it should be. Each of the few people seen give excellent performances, but you might not recognise them through the filth that covers everything.

It's difficult for me to be objective about this as the film is very faithful to the book, which I love. But if you're a fan of the book or the genre then see it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I loved the book but hated McCormac's writing style, so I reckon this should be a good one for me.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:I loved the book but hated McCormac's writing style, so I reckon this should be a good one for me.
I'm not really sure how that works but yes, you should enjoy it.

There's a good quality version floating around the tubes, but unfortunately it's missing 25 minutes. Shame because I fancy watching it again. Especially as the cinema gimps messed up the first 30 minutes with various problems.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

spoodie wrote: I'm not really sure how that works but yes, you should enjoy it.
I loved the story, but Cormac McCarthy (I got the name wrong last time) either deliberately shuns any form of grammar or has only a basic grasp of it. Either way, reading his writing gives me the rage.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Apparently it's on purpose because he doesn't like punctuation. Bit silly really as I'm sure it drives of those who flick through his books to discover that they're actually a bit confusing to read.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I was confused by the claims of a lack of punctuation, as I don't remember that, so I checked Amazon. He does use punctuation, but doesn't handle speech in the tradition manner. I don't see anything else wrong with it. Am I missing something?