Fist and older routers

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

It's doubtful the machines would see each other, the ms tech pages are filled with workarounds/attempted solutions to try and get fista and xp machines to talk, it might happen all by itself, or it might never work, I spent quite some time trying to get my machine and the gf's lappy to talk, no joy. I have to transfer files by portable hard drive, because they don't like each other even when they're connected by a cable. :roll:
Killavodka
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by Killavodka »

Its not about getting them to talk with each other though. I suspect its not auto-configuring properly. Have you tried setting up the IP yourself, mainly the dafault gateway which should be pointing at your router. Also running the network setup wizard can sometimes sort it out (assuming Fista has that feature)
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Except that it is about them talking to each other, you can't file transfer across your network if they won't talk. The router will see one with one set-up, and another with a different set-up, but unless your lucky, the router can't see both because of ms' ability to code. :roll:

In friznit's case, I'd opt for everything having internet access and just use a bit of cable to connect the xp-fista machines for any transfer work Pita I know, but a new router may fix it, or do exactly the same as the old one.
Killavodka
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by Killavodka »

i thought this thread was internets related not file-sharing you dirty ginger blob who corrupts my sister
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Yes, the main point of this thread is getting them all to use t'interweb at the same time, but I believe Friz's plan of doing 'funky internet shit' would cover file-sharing.

My point isn't intended to focus on the file sharing, merely on that one of the problems caused by xp-fista networks is that file sharing, (I'm sure you agree) is rather useful but can't be done without any great effort.

You get pppoe working and the transfer ability of a network suffers, you get the transfer side working, but it removes access to the internet for either the xp machines, or the fista one. You can't win unless you upgrade the fista to xp, or downgrade the xp to fista, unless you luck out and they work because your router is rather clever.

This might help friz.

Or this.

Or this.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Thanks for the help chaps. Putting everything in the same workgroup seems to have cleared up the LAN, though it's still a little intermittent. The initial problem of no internets I think was caused by a wireless hub I had plugged into the router. XP uses it no probs, but I think Fista is trying to be too clever with it's self-discovery networking and getting confused when 192.168.1.1 had something else the other side of it that wasn't the internet, so to speak (odd though, as it has no IP, it's just a hub). Anyway, taking the hub out has solved the problem for now.

I've got an all-in-one router/modem/wireless but I'm fucked if I know where to put the ISP details in - Linksys effort). Should keep me occupied for another hour or two.