HOWTO - Abusenet

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Joose wrote:Also, something that came up in discussion with Grimmie:

http://www.giganews.com now has 240 day retention, which is nice.

I got an email about that. Is that the maximum retention for Usenet in general? Because it's the maximum Newzbin supports as well.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:
Also, http://www.binsearch.info/ is quite handy

I've been using that since I first borrowed your usenets login stuffs.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

spoodie wrote:I got an email about that. Is that the maximum retention for Usenet in general? Because it's the maximum Newzbin supports as well.

That's the most anyone provides so far.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

erp.

Code: Select all

Newzbin has recently received two serious complaints regarding the indexing we perform, and raising doubts as to its legality.

It is likely that we will in the coming weeks be presented with a court case and have to defend our rights. We will be defending ourselves vigorously against both the complainants if necessary and we believe a court will agree with our view that linking to content on Usenet is indeed legal and our method of dealing with unlawful content is appropriate. We believe that, or we wouldn't still be here.

We are not in a position to disclose the identities of these two complainants (though I'm sure you can guess one of them) but we will report more as we can.

These cases are against us, not you. Having an account on Newzbin is not going to be a problem for you.

So, basically, if you start seeing press releases that legal action is commencing against us, don't be alarmed - we know, and indeed it's a good thing that we're getting these issues laid to rest.

Remember these things take time however, so it's unlikely we'll have further news for another few weeks - please don't hassle us for information, we will give you it when we have it.

(Comments are closed: Sorry, but this isn't an invitation for a discussion on the merits of what we do, what we should be doing, or general hysteria around the matter. We have better things to be doing than moderating hysterical comments right now.)

Unlikely to be an issue for at least a few months, but we'll see.
Fear
Zombie
Zombie

Post by Fear »

I think google has pretty much set the (USA) precedent here, it isn't illegal to index stuff, so long as you remove specific indexes when requested to do so. This is gonna be a UK version, so it might not be as simple. We'll see.

It's not like another wont pop up in it's place.

Edit: Or they'll just move it to that pirate bay host in Sweden.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Fear wrote:I think google has pretty much set the (USA) precedent here, it isn't illegal to index stuff, so long as you remove specific indexes when requested to do so. This is gonna be a UK version, so it might not be as simple. We'll see.

:above: It'll be interesting to see how this one works out.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Top notch guiding Mr Joose, I owe you a pint!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

fabyak wrote:Top notch guiding Mr Joose, I owe you a pint!

You'll be needing This
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Oops, bought one. :lol:
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Legal Situation - Suspended Reports

You may have noticed that recently we suspended a number of existing reports. This was done after receiving notification from the MPA that those reports were potentially of their copyrighted works. This suspension will remain until the reports are verified not to be infringing.

Despite this, in the last week, we received notice that the MPA have filed for an injunction against us. We are thus now going through the motions of filling out paperwork etc and will see what happens next. There's not much else to tell you at this stage; we'll keep you posted.

not good
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

newzbin half price sale are on! :)
Fear
Zombie
Zombie

Post by Fear »

Newzbin half price sale now on!

Buy your credit for the year, maybe. I'm not too confident they'll survive the year - and now with 75% of all the reports i want being hidden I'm wondering what I'm actually paying for.
Fear
Zombie
Zombie

Post by Fear »

Oh, Berk already posted it. I supposed I should have known.

Board must have marked it as read :(.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Fear wrote: and now with 75% of all the reports i want being hidden I'm wondering what I'm actually paying for.

I've not actually noticed all that missing, seems to me that they take down the reports they're asked to, then editors just repost a good deal of it.

can still get the missing stuff from the usenet views anyway.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:newzbin half price sale are on! :)
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Pffft
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Code: Select all

Litigation in 3.2.1...

Our long awaited case, 20th Century Fox & Others v Newzbin, begins next week in London. It should last about a week. It's unknown yet when any verdict will be handed down after the case is concluded.

We will try to provide updates at the end of each day as the case progresses, but we may be busy.

Wish us luck!

Newzbin Legal
Hopefully they'll win convincingly, indexing service and all that.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Good luck newzbin!

Judge can cite the Oink case maybe, but perhaps a little different architecture. The one thing that is not in their favour is the money. Oink chap could say that it was run on donations, didn't make much money. Newzbin is definitely a commercial operation. Albeit just an indexer.
No1Jew
Meerkat of DOOM
Meerkat of DOOM

Post by No1Jew »

Funny how this thread has just come back to life. I forgot about the pending legal crap. I was going to sign up for an account today, is it still worth it?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

No1Jew wrote:Funny how this thread has just come back to life. I forgot about the pending legal crap. I was going to sign up for an account today, is it still worth it?
Depends on how you rate their chances, the minimum you can buy is 8 weeks for £2.40.

They are just an indexing service and "getting rid" of them won't remove any of the files hosted on usenet or stop people posting new ones. There's no direct correlation between their userbase and the people that post copyrighted material, who have typically been the target of previous legal pushes where user lists are ordered to be surrendered.