HOWTO - Abusenet

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

spoodie wrote:I'm sure I've always used WinRAR to rejoin the partitioned files I get from usenet, am I doing it wrong?

Nope. You're doing it right.

However, sometimes people will split the files using quickpar or hjsplit (mainly because they're retarded) In those cases, you'll know, because winrar won't work.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:However, sometimes people will split the files using quickpar or hjsplit (mainly because they're retarded) In those cases, you'll know, because winrar won't work.

For those occasions I have quickpar to verify the file so it all works out in the end.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

One thing I've noticed is that the number of connections you set in NZBoM should match the total you're allowed based on your newsdemon subscription, in my case 20 - 6 usawest, 6 usaeast and 8 europe - any more don't seem to connect.

Also it's worth modifying the browse and search times on newzbin to match your newsdemon sub - in my case I think 80 days - as it's set by default to a bit lower. You'll see a few more red unavailables, but QuickPAR usually sorts you out.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

FatherJack wrote:Also it's worth modifying the browse and search times on newzbin to match your newsdemon sub - in my case I think 80 days - as it's set by default to a bit lower. You'll see a few more red unavailables, but QuickPAR usually sorts you out.

That :above:

It's probably also worth noting that you should *NOT* turn language filters on in newzbin - they'll fuck stuff up (as most posts don't actually have a set language)
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Other tips I've learned would be:

Don't use Avast Antivirus - it spacks out as it can't monitor 20+ TCP connections and shuts them down.

HJ Split works a treat for those dodgy files split incorrectly.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

OMGGGZZORSSZZZ!!11one
Just implemented this using Joose's How-To and Berk's advice on "WTF IS THIS"..
And and.. 1,800KBS Download rate.

CHRISTYCAKES!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I've recently subscribed to an unlimited service from giganews. :likesitall:
Getting some really good stuff.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

spoodie wrote:I've recently subscribed to an unlimited service from giganews. :likesitall:
Getting some really good stuff.

:above: Giganews is very, very good. (unlike my storage situation)
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Right, seeing as i'm bored (and drunk) I figured I should add sabnzbd to this as it's really handy (especially if you're downloading a shitload of seperate things)

SABnzbd is different to nomp, mainly because Sabnzbd is aimed at those who have a download machine or such, comes with a built in with a web interface, automagical parring and unzip/rarring, which is really handy if you want hands-off abusenet use, or if you're downloading lots and lots of avis (for example, the first 10 seasons of the simpsons) :)

It's also a little more stable than nomp when you're using huge nzb files.

However, I do find SABnzbd a fair bit (10%) slower than nomp, and it isn't 100% reliable, But it's pretty handy nonetheless

I'm going to assume you've read and used Joose's guide and have idea of how this crap should work. :)

What you need:

SABnzbd.
A usenet provider.
A source for nzbs (newzbin.com usually).

Use the 7zip self-extractor thing to uncompress the SABnzbd to somewhere, I suggest putting on your storage drive (if you have one) as by default the download cache and stuff lives in the SABnzbd folder.

Within the SABnzbd folder, find SABnzbd.exe and double click it, a command window will pop up and fuck off. this is a good thing.

Open your interweb browser of choice, go to http://127.0.0.1:8080/sabnzbd/config/server/ and fill in your usenet (newsdemon) provider's info, then press add server (leave fill server set to no)

If you wish to change your download locations and such go to http://127.0.0.1:8080/sabnzbd/config/directories/ and fettle at will.

Also worth a fettle is http://127.0.0.1:8080/sabnzbd/config/switches/

mainly you're looking for Dirscan Options:

+none will do nothing, just download.

+repair will do the parring on your files, but not unrar them.

+unpack will par and unpack your files to SABnzbd-0.2.5-w32\downloads\Complete or wherever you changed your completed file storage to.

+delete will par, unpack and delete the pars/rars (I would not suggest using this, if it fucks up, you'll have to download stuff again)

Now we have the basics set up, we can go to http://127.0.0.1:8080/sabnzbd/ and add a .nzb using the add file option (not sure on the url, I'll explore later) the drop down list is as explained above. You can also download nzbs to SABnzbd-0.2.5-w32\NZB_blackhole and it should auto add to SABnzbd and download.

The stuff at the bottom should now say something like

Code: Select all

Download Dir: 867.74 GB - Complete Dir: 867.74 GB - Download speed: 765.40 KB/s - Queued: 26723.48/36259.08 MB 

Now wait a bit, you should see SABnzbd-0.2.5-w32\downloads\Incomplete filling up with stuff.

If you set +repair, you'll have to unrar your files manually, if you set +unpack you'll just need to check SABnzbd-0.2.5-w32\downloads\Complete (or whereever) in a while.

SABnzbd stays running in the background, but is quite heavy, if you care kill the SABnzbd process from the task manager.

That's all that comes to mind for now, if you have any questions, ask :) (Also tell me if I fucked up)
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Me needs more monies, p2p is all well and good, but I could be using my bandwidth to far greater effect, shame I'm dirty poor at the mo. The gf gets her first chunk of student loan today, maybe she'll do something silly, like buy a big ass lcd tv, (I've already told her which one) and buy me a newsgroop account with her learning monies.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

It's much more cost-effective and environmentally friendly to download all the text books.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

:above: Good stuff, thanks FJ, didn't think of that un, thats entirely plausible and improves my carbon footpr*zzzzzz* woah! Sorry, bored myself to sleep then! :lol:

Only thing is, she knows I don't give a shit about the planet/co2 ejaculations etc, she'll just question me and stare until I crack like a marble veneer in the cold, but maybe he money will go to her head and she'll start buying crap, then I'll 'borrow' some for 'safekeeping', yess that could work too. :ninja:
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

I've just found something most handy. :)

Parbatch pars and unrars stuff in a folder, saves a lot of time when dealing with fuckoff huge folders.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I thoroughly recommend Newsleecherfor your client, if you want lazy convenience. It costs $30/year and it has it's own search service if you want to pay the extra monthly cost, but I'd recommend you use newzbin instead. The great thing about it that it'll unpack your downloads for you and even manage the extra PAR file downloads if required, ignores them if not.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

ZOMG I has news! Thanks for an excellent and easy-to-follow guide Joose, and thanks for answering my questions berk.

Can't get enough of that lovely news!
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Cheers Joose :)
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

spoodie wrote:I thoroughly recommend Newsleecherfor your client, if you want lazy convenience. It costs $30/year and it has it's own search service if you want to pay the extra monthly cost, but I'd recommend you use newzbin instead. The great thing about it that it'll unpack your downloads for you and even manage the extra PAR file downloads if required, ignores them if not.

This is rather good, it's search function is pretty rubbish, but it works fine under Fista 64 and has an easy speed limiter bar for when you don't want to hog your entire bandwidth.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

FatherJack wrote:This is rather good, it's search function is pretty rubbish, but it works fine under Fista 64 and has an easy speed limiter bar for when you don't want to hog your entire bandwidth.

:above: I do likes it.

Also, http://www.binsearch.info/ is quite handy, nowhere near as full or complete as newzbin, but it is quite a bit faster at picking up new files. (Just seems to index more often than newzbin's hourly-ish)

Won't matter much to most of you, but if you're awake at night, It's handy to know :)
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Also, something that came up in discussion with Grimmie:

http://www.giganews.com now has 240 day retention, which is nice.