Hellduffers

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Hellduffers

Post by Joose »

Anyone up for some of this shit?

Helldivers, by the Magica guys, is a top down co-op shooter thing. Riffs off things like Starship Troopers, friendly fire is on, it looks hilarious. Here is a bit of the Cool Ghosts guys doing a lets play. This is just part one, they do many of these.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXKSJuRALFg[/youtube]
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Hellduffers

Post by Dog Pants »

Is it Diablo with guns, or something different?
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

It's more like magicka mixed with an RTS by the looks of it. Could be fun, but I'll wait for a sale to buy it.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

It's good fun! Its a bit odd.

It's kinda like magica, but less complicated in general. Most of the game is a twin stick arcade shooter, but when you want to call things in, like ammo or a respawn for a teammate, you have to do a little magica style button combo press. They are dead simple, like "up down left left", but just hard enough to fuck up if you are trying to do them whilst a giant insect eats your face. Additional "fun" comes from the fact that everything is dropped in from space, and friendly fire is always on. In the game I just played I accidentally shot a teammate. I summoned a respawn for him, which the other team mate unwittingly ran underneath and was squished with an orbital insertion to the face. The chat was filled with "lols".

I've just unlocked a flame thrower. What could possibly go wrong?

Which brings me to the multiplayer aspect: you can set your game to private, but by default it is public so any old bugger can turn up halfway through a mission. So far I have had only good experiences, with the randoms not shouting at me for my shitty aiming and everyone laughing when things go comically pear shaped. I've only played a couple missions though, so I could just have been lucky.

There's also a wierd global metagame thing going on. Every world you complete (by completing all the missions. The worlds i've hit so far have had two each) adds a couple of points to a big score. There are leaderboards tracking everyones progress (which you can entirely ignore, they dont have any actual impact on the game that I can see). The galaxy map is split into sections, and when players have added enough points to that section (it seems to need thousands) it is conquered and you move on to the next section, with the ultimate aim being the alien homeworlds. Ive no idea how that will work long term, but I kinda suspect it might all be bullshit that ties into the fiction of the game.

So, the fiction: Think Starship Troopers with everything turned up just a little bit. You are soldiers sent out from "Super Earth". You shout "HOW ABOUT A NICE CUP OF LIBER-TEA!" and similar things whilst shooting bugs. The whole story has a "We have to do this to preserve the safety of super earth!" thing going on, even though the galaxy map makes it clear that Earth is in no danger whatsoever. Its done pretty well, even if it is basically the same jokes over and over. That side of it will make you smirk rather than laugh though, it's the physical comedy of playing the game itself that will make you laugh.

It seems super 5punky. Even if you dont get it now, I would recommend looking for it in the sales.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've added this to my wishlist in case it comes up in the sale.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Yep same here.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Got this the other day. It's hilarious played drunk. Missions are all a bit samey and ultimately it's just a grind, but it's great fun being utterly incompetent and dying in silly ways.