Elite Dangerous

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Elite Dangerous

Post by TheJockGit »

It's on offer for less than a tenner at the moment

If you haven't got it yet, get it now!!!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

5punkcorp can live again... muhahahahahahaha *cough *cough
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by Grimmie »

I was hovering over the buy button yesterday, but couldn't make my mind up.

The negative reviews looked really damning - high learning curve, very little interaction with the "multiplayer" community, long travel times, next to no tutorial.

Sell me this game, Jock! Is it that good?
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Well, it's not exactly Tell Tale, you get dumped out into space and then you have to make your own game up - do you want to trade, do you want to shoot folks, do you want to plant your flag everywhere and discover new solar systems. It's sandboxy, the only objectives are the ones you set yourself.
You will also need to practice docking a space shit to a station - it's not easy at first but you get the hang of it after a while.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I bounced off the early betas quite hard, but there's been a lot added since then, I'll probably revisit over the next few months.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

I saw it was cheap and picked it up, euro space simulator with shootybangs sounds good to me.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

At this point I would normally say "awesome, we should go have some spaz adventures" but spaz is a bloody big place and you get placed randomly :(
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I'm tempted by this, but I already spent a tenner on sniper elite 3 so that's my gaming tenner gone for this month.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Anery wrote:At this point I would normally say "awesome, we should go have some spaz adventures" but spaz is a bloody big place and you get placed randomly :(
That sounds like a challenge, Anery. Are we enough space-badass to navigate through a few billion star systems?
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Grimmie wrote:That sounds like a challenge, Anery. Are we enough space-badass to navigate through a few billion star systems?
That's dangerous talk there Grimmie - ELITE Dangerous! <insert Horatio GIF here>

I was attempting to get to Pratchett's Disc some time ago, I need to sit down and work out a route through star systems that either have a star I can use a fuel scoop on or have outposts I can refuel at. Looking at a traveling time of several hours with about 30 minutes prep.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Last time I played it I looked at trying to visit Earth. I couldn't even navigate a few stars away, gave up, never played it again. Not that I didn't like it, I just don't have the time to work out how to enjoy it. I did like the docking.
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

Grimmie wrote:
Sell me this game, Jock! Is it that good?
I've been playing since Beta, lots of new content has been added since then, the best being able to create a "Wing" of buddies that you can instance with and share the Bootie.
There is also Powerplay which gives bonuses if you align yourself to a cetain Faction or House, Community Driven Goals which again give bonuses for participating in, or you could just save up and buy an Asp and go exploring the Void.

Recently there have been a lot of "Unknown Artifacts" being discovered, these are strange Pods that emit odd noises and slowly damage your ship if you pick them up... Frontier haven't divulged what they are, but speculation is that they are a pre cursor to the return of the Thargoids (Google them if you don't know Elite Lore).

Elite Horizons is due out soon, which is an Expansion and costs the moneys, but it is bringing in Planetary Landings.

If you do decide to give it a go I would recommend getting a Joystick, at the very least one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ge_o08_s00

With 40 Billion stars in the game there is still a lot to discover.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Dammit, Jock! You've got me playing this again.
I'm currently zipping around in my old Viper, trying to work out routes and a path to finally get an Anaconda.
Aelliseu
Kitten
Kitten

Post by Aelliseu »

7 hours play in 1 night...Damn, looks like I am addicted.
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

:lol:
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

:lol: :lol:

Although I'm disappointed that you refer to him as Captain and not Major!
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Aelliseu wrote:7 hours play in 1 night...Damn, looks like I am addicted.
I find there is no such thing as a "quick blast on Elite" it always turns into "one more mission" "one more bounty" "one more trade run"

Whereabouts is everyone? I'm currently hanging out around Lwalama which is within a few jumps of Captain Johnson. I've never managed to meet up with anyone in game - everyone seemed so far away.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

With the Shada-catalysed resurgence I thought I'd use this thread to record our names and stomping ground. Mainly because I forget them.

5punk Squadron seems to be homed in Wohler Terminal in the Kremainn system. Don't know why, but it turns out I was only a couple of systems away. Whether that was because the game put me there when I joined the open game because I had friends nearby, or because everyone starts around there, or just coincidence. Not really sure. Anyway, there seems to be half or dozen or so of us kicking about.

Names off the top of my head:
Dog Pants
P-Nut
Bitsy
Captain Johnson
Anery
Fatherjack
Dr.Berk
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I think you mean Commander Captain Johnson, thank you very much.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I am Iron Man Dr.Berk

In hindsight, I should have been Commander Ibarelyknowher