Gaems Wurkshup!

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Re: Gaems Wurkshup!

Post by Anery »

The Shutting Downs wrote:Got the new White Dwarf - Weekly and Monthly - today.

The Monthly has been reduced in page size, but upped to nearly 8 quid.

The Weekly is the same page size, but about a dozen pages and is 2.40.

The staff have clearly been told to hype the whole thing up, as the words ' a piece of history' were said several times. I've not had a thorough look, but I think this may be the nail in the coffin of me getting white dwarf.
Mine arrived in the post too. I don't know what to make of it really. On the one hand Visions has none of the battle reports, none of the reviews of the new minis and explanations of the lore etc...on the other handI really like looking at well painted minis and it does still have paint tips in.
I'll see how I feel in Nov when my sub is up (pre-paid, they will be sending me Visions every month even though it is more expensive)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I just noticed that the home page of the Games Workshop website is currently touting the Imperial Guard, as opposed to the Astra Militarium. Even GW think their new name sucks.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I've heard lots of bad press about GW recently and a LOT about the name change for Imperial Guard.
I can understand why folks are pissed off and I can see why GW would want to try and protect their IP and it's NOT about them being cunts - being a lawsuit slinging cuntbag takes money and they are not doing too well on that front. It's about being afforded protection under legislation that prevents the copying, or unlawful use of, items protected under trademark. This means that they are having to change generalised names like Space Marine or Imperial Guard because they are indefensible (as has been proven in recent court cases) and therefore un-trademarkable. If you can't trademark it, folks can rip it off with impunity and your business which relies on these unique products you produce goes even further down the shitter.
Folks are getting their rage on about them changing the name need to take a step back. Not that I am saying you are accusing they of anything Pants, I thought I'd vent.
As for the actual name? Bothers me not, I never liked the snivvely, heretical, THIEVING shits anyway.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yeah, I understand all that and I'm not bothered either, mainly because I'll keep calling them IG anyway.

On a related subject, I read Legion while I was away (the one with the Alpha Legion). I liked the focus on the Guard, much more interesting and colourful than the po-faced Space Marines. I vaguely considered buying an Alpha Legion squad so I could occasionally play my IG as subverted, but then I remembered that I've not played a single game since I bought my army in 2003. Also, I'm kind of liking the Space Wolves now one of them has shown up in the books. I wouldn't play them though, they're shit.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Looks like there are a number of different rumours doing the rounds. One is that BA are the next realease after end times another that BA are after Necros and Tyranids (becuase it's not like the insects have had an update anytime in the last 10 months or so...)

New Mephiston mini though, and a new Tycho - could do with a new Dante too.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I've give up with the rumor mill now, I'll just be happy when they announce the BA release.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I found a solution to the catch-22 I was in with my latest attempt at putting an IG horse together. Problem I had was mainly because I want a fluff-heavy horse representing a Rogue Trader conquistador expedition, which means a nice element of crazy, and a focus on elite infantry. In order to do this and stay within a legal horse setup I needed to take some kind of allied detachment, but without buying another codex (on top of £25 for the Guard codex) I couldn't make an educated decision as to which one. I don't think GW are doing themselves any favours here by the way - you have to choose your army blind and buy the rules for them, and that must be putting some people off.

Anyway, I found a useful tool called BattleScribe. It's an army builder which works with any game you can find a config file for. In the case of WH40k there's a third party online repository for them, you just point the client at it and it gives you points, stats, rules, horse composition, and tells you any problems with your build. It's not quite a replacement for a proper codex, but it's a bloody useful heads up.

So, I ended up with a 1000pt IG army with one Inquisitor attached in the end. 1000 points just isn't enough to customise that much over a basic IG horse. I'm happy with that though - some non-GW models for the personalities give it a nice Rogue Trader look, and I went with a Forge World attack buggy (instead of a Vendetta gunship) in the end. I reckon that's about £100 on top of the £100 worth of IG I already had, but that's the price I pay for FW vehicles and custom characters.

I was interested to see if IG was more expensive because of the quantity of models required for them, so I built and priced up a 1000pt Emperor's Children army too. I like the fluff behind the EC and would probably have gone for them if I didn't already have a load of IG. 1000pts do not go a long way at all with Marines. I had to scrap any vehicle support past a couple of APCs, no Terminators, no Dreadnought. I managed a two-model HQ, 15 marines over two squads, an assault squad, and Noise Marines (why choose EC and not take their trademark troops?). About 29 models, including 2 vehicles, and at came to just over £150. So I reckon any 1000pt army is probably somewhere around the £150 mark, which isn't really that bad.

I also stumbled across a brilliant Inquisition army. They have a pretty loose horse structure, so you can take one Inquisitor and bulk out the entire remaining army with Valkyries and Jokeiro (very rare space orangutans who build tiny but powerful weapons). It's called Flying Monkeys and sounds very trollsome (also very expensive). Bonus troll points for taking a xenos Inquisitor with a 'suffer not the alien' banner.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:a fluff-heavy horse
:lol:

Is there any decent way of playing 40k online? All this talk is making me really want to take it up again, but I really wouldn't play the physical game often enough to warrant hundreds of pounds in set up costs.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Unfortunately I think that anywhere that tries to do an online version gets shut down quiet quickly.
I may have found a way to do this with vassal, I'll report back when I know more.

I found this one page rules for 40k that people may find usefull
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I know that a Tabletop Sim thing existed for it once but I daresay that got shut down. Again, GW really don't do themselves any favours with their preciousness over their IP.

Joose has reminded me of something I was thinking of the other day. Does anyone ever actually play Warhammer? I never got to play my current army, I think I played my old marines once properly, I had a few games of Space Marine (which were awesome) and a few skirmishes with half baked rules and half arsed armies when I was a kid.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I played Space Marine(epic scale) a few times and still have the army for it and I played Space hulk a few times, both when I was about 14-15. I never got to play fantasy or 40K as I never had armies for either of these.

My epic scale Blood Angels army.

Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Does anyone ever actually play Warhammer?
Played a fair bit of 40k as a kid. I cant remember any of the rules though (thinking about it, they have probably drastically changed since then anyway).
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Pnut wrote:I played Space Marine(epic scale) a few times and still have the army for it and I played Space hulk a few times, both when I was about 14-15. I never got to play fantasy or 40K as I never had armies for either of these.
Good news! I also still have my epic army.

Bad news: Mine are also Blood Angels.
Joose wrote:
Dog Pants wrote:Does anyone ever actually play Warhammer?
Played a fair bit of 40k as a kid. I cant remember any of the rules though (thinking about it, they have probably drastically changed since then anyway).
I think the basics never change. Roll a D6 on that chart, S vs T. The army structures and specifics of certain skills might change, but it's basically the same game as far as I can see.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I played a few games of 40k.
I remember things like 6" to move and then shoot, 12" to sprint into close combat etc... Things like BS/WS of 4 equating to the 3+ roll on the dice for the chance to hit. Not much more than that.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Aside from the cobbled together system for Necromunda we had a few years back I don't think I've touched anything approaching the 40k ruleset.
I still have my "Goonies on a Hive World" take on a Necromunda campaign around here somewhere, maybe sometime post the fluff I wrote up for it.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I dug out my old models from the loft while I was putting the xmas decorations away. Aside from the two platoons of Imperial Guard I knew I had, which I kind of fell in love with again once I got them all out on my desk, I also found I had at least another squad's worth spare (useful for different configurations). On top of that, from another game but a perfect scale match and a good alternative for IG, I had 40 of each of these guys:

Image Image

Which will probably see me right for infantry forever.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Very nice Doggers, what game are they from?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Those ones aren't mine by the way, just pics I found on the intercocks. They're from a game called Warzone, which I think has died twice and been resurrected on Kickstarter.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Hah! Now I have tanks.