The Miniatures Project Thread

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Re: The Miniatures Project Thread

Post by Mr. Johnson »

In a somewhat surprising event, Mrs.J has expressed interesting in joining in on your little competition because painting in minute detail is something she's trained in (stained glass). However, since neither she nor I have an interest in the game itself buying paints for just three little figurines seems a bit excessive...
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Buzz, it was more like a 15-20 year gap for me so that's no excuse. Oh and unfortunately I don't have a garage and the shed is a bit full.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Until I did those battlemechs the other year I hadn't painted since 2004, and then probably since maybe 1999 before that. We have an incentive of having models and paints already though, and planning to play the game at some point. I could understand if you didn't see it as worth the effort.

Pete, didn't you enter the Golden Demon at one point?
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Painting lesson was fail today as the person who was supposed to be teaching me was off sick and there was only 1 member of staff on, hopefully should be going back next week.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

You know what, I'm up for the painting challenge. Need to re-arrange a desk, but I'm up for it.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Dog Pants wrote:Until I did those battlemechs the other year I hadn't painted since 2004, and then probably since maybe 1999 before that. We have an incentive of having models and paints already though, and planning to play the game at some point. I could understand if you didn't see it as worth the effort.

Pete, didn't you enter the Golden Demon at one point?
I actually entered every year I went to the gamesdays, it got you in earlier. I did however once spend months on something that might actually have a chance and placed in the diorama category, equipment for painting along with any inclination to do so was left behind 3 or 4 moves ago.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Well, anyone interested get your addresses to me. I'll post the stuff out on Tuesday.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Painting gretchen is going to interesting. Aside from my lack of green acrylic (not a massive problem, just be using enamels instead), the last time I painted actual organic stuff was a small set of Kroot I only partially finished for my Tau army.

I've an idea which is either going to work well, or look fucking terrible.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I wouldn't worry to much about it being bad, I've never painted organics before so am fully expecting it to be terrible. But I think that's the whole point, trying out techniques that you've never done before to see how it works out.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Gretchens: got. Cheers dude. One was squashed but it's nothing a little glue won't fix. Do we have a theme?
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Dog Pants wrote:Gretchens: got. Cheers dude. One was squashed but it's nothing a little glue won't fix. Do we have a theme?
Same here but an easy fix. I thought we were just doing our own thing with this one?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Fair enough. If you don't do that thing you said you were doing on Saturday I'm doing it by the way.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I don't think I'll manage it with my selection so fill your boots. If you win I take half the credit for the idea though right? :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Yeah, might take some pretty heavy modding. I'll have a think.

And 70/30 :)
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Mine have also arrived. Cheers Anery.

They're bloody tiny aren't they?
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Phone mast at work has been down for a few weeks so no uncensored intercocks at work :( otherwise would have replied somewhat earlier.
Anyhoo, sorry if they arrived beat up. Given that two of them had to go as small parcels rather than letters due to the way the gretchin had arranged themselves in the bags I'm not too happy with that, not fucking happy at all.
They are very small Buzz, but I figured that would make them a good starting point - not too much to start off and good for brushing up your general neatness too I reckon. I was thinking about sending four instead of just three but I wanted to keep the metal ones that remain all to myself - I'm a selfish cupcake like that.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Well I have made a start on mine, are we going to put a finish date on this?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

The winter chill isn't conductive to spray priming, especially when someone fogot to clean the nozzle on the spray ("self-cleaning" my arse), so mine are looking a bit blotchy with a very uneven partial coating.
Hopefully an overnight soak of the nozzle in white spirit will work. Yes, I'm not using acrylics for the base.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Apparently Fairy power spray and a soft brush are really good for removing paint from minis, if you want to have another crack Buzz. I'm going to be giving it a try with my botched assault squad.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

This is a priming coat so no need to remove any paint. I'll just give them another spray tomorrow. This is why you do thin coats and hopefully you've picked a primer that's on the thin side as well.

Although saying that, if I could have been bothered, I could have just borrowed an air compressor and the Badger spray gun my brother has and done it properly.