StarMade Alpha

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

StarMade Alpha

Post by tandino »

I stumbled upon an article on RPS yesterday regarding a wee space shooter called StarMade - Minecraft Eve Online and after having a dabble with it it seems like it could be a lot of fun.

http://star-made.org/

You start in space next to a station and with a limited amount of modules/resources and a ship's core. Place ship's core, build a ship around it Minecraft style and then head off to explore planets (you can land on and mine them), abandoned space stations and other such space junk. Mine or salvage resources from space, buy better, shinier and more advanced parts for your ships and then have the option to add AI cores to your ship whilst you go off and build more elaborate spaceships - see the gallery for the truly impressive things you can build!

It's in alpha right now and available free of charge. It has also been green lit on Steam so it'll no doubt be getting popular as fuck very soon. You can also play on servers with internet people, should you choose. It's worth noting that for an alpha, it's already pretty polished (interface and tutorial wise at least) - take a look!
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: StarMade Alpha

Post by spoodie »

Yogscast recorded some videos on this a few months back, here's the first:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgHgcttS39w[/media]
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Have you played it Spoodie? I can see it being pretty good given time - I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Saw this a few months ago and pinged it as 'one to watch' while it develops some more. The idea of coop space 5pelunking sounds a lot of fun, but I've yet to see any real endgame other than pvp scenarios. The creative side may be amusing but unless there's any real point to it I can't see it having long lasting appeal (similar to minecrack in that regard)
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

I like the look of that. The idea of having the HMS 5punker with us manning different crew stations, I like that.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

tandino wrote:Have you played it Spoodie? I can see it being pretty good given time - I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.
Not really, but I enjoyed watching the Yogcasters have a go. There's so many interesting looking games that the developers make available to try before final release that it's hard to choose and find the time. Especially when you have to learn new mechanics each time. I'll let others do that and play the cream that floats to the top.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Thinking about giving this a go after reading the RPS coverage of it recently.
I've downloaded it but it doesn't seem to have an offline function like minecraft does. If folks are interested I don't mind buying a month of server time from MP

EDIT
Being an eejit, it does have an offline mode