Blood Bowl - Return of the Keys Bowl

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Re: Blood Bowl - Return of the Keys Bowl

Post by buzzmong »

Ah yes. Prod me in an evening and I'll have a game with you Pantsu.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I scammed a flukey 2-1 win against Buzz's Pro Elves tonight. Bad rolls prevented some awesome throws, both goblin and ball, and also prevented some essential Elf movement which might have prevented at least one touchdown. A good game, well matched. As a bonus there was also several injuries.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Well, as a bonus for me and somewhat unsually, I've survived two games without any permanent injuries or deaths with the Elves. Which is nice :D

I've also got two players sitting on 5 SPP, which'll hopefully come good after my upcoming match with Joose.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

buzzmong wrote:I've survived two games without any permanent injuries or deaths with the Elves.
:)

So when are you available to break that streak?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Joose and I had a game. It went very well for one of us. That person wasn't me as it 3-0 to Joose, who caused 5 injuries and 4 or 5 KO's alongside it. One of the KO's was on the first turn :shakefist:
I think I might have managed to give him two KO's in return.

The positive things I'm taking away are the fact the injuries are either badly injured or just skip games, nothing that's removing stats, and I had no deaths. Earnt some more SPP as well, and got a couple of rank ups.

I did sort of get screwed early on by Cynaide though as after setting up my players it decided to rearrange them for me. Twice. Which basically ended up giving Joose two uncontested touchdowns thanks to it doing silly things like putting my catchers on the touchline (who promptly got knocked down) and my blitzers in wilderness of the far right, unable to get back to a useful place.

Didn't really matter as he would have won without that judging by how easily he was swatting my team down. Unskilled Elven teams don't fair well against really fighty teams and the Bloodthirster is a fucking fearsome beast; having three dice when on the offensive and then getting to do it again thanks to Frenzy means it just plows through your team unless you've got something to stand up to it.

Sort of fun for me though in the way Dwarf Fortress is: It's all gone Pete Tong, but you want to see how badly.

I did manage a really really lucky treble 6 involving a pass, a missed interception and a catch :)
Last edited by buzzmong on May 19th, 2013, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

That was a bit of a drubbing. You know things have gone a bit one sided when someone starts trying to give the 1AG Bloodthirster the ball for giggles.

Playing a Khorne team was an interesting experiment. Although they were not as absurdo-broken as some people make them out to be, they are a little...well, I wouldn't say they are unbalanced as Blood Bowl doesn't really work like that. They are definitely an "easy mode" team to play though. Not quite to the degree that, say, dwarves are as having frenzy across the board is a lot harder to handle than everyone having block, tackle and high armour. Still, I suspect the only teams that would give them significant issues (presuming roughly equal TV) would be the other, bashier teams. Being able to block twice in a row is no good if the other team is all stronger than you, and the standard mans in Khorne are none too strong. Against the squishies though...ouch.

The Bloodthirster is a little OP, maybe. I thought at first that having a guy set up for blitzing who also has loner and wild animal would be bad. Its not. Wild Animal only kicks in on a 1 if you are blitzing, so you will only get screwed in this way on average one time in six. On the other five times, you will be murderising things. You will rarely get less than a three dice block with careful positioning, and you will get it twice. That with Claw is a recipe for deaths.

Overall, I think Khorne isn't so brokenly daft that it needs banning, but it should probably be limited to less experienced players who want to try something slightly more technically challenging than Dwarves. In the hands of someone who even slightly knows how to pilot a bashy team its a slaughterhouse.

On that note, I am retiring the Murder Time Fun Time lads in favour of something more elfy next season. I have played nothing but bashists for ages, I want to try actually scoring some touchdowns for a change.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Pants! FJ! Play your game so we can start a new season! DO IT NOW!
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Joose wrote:Pants! FJ! Play your game so we can start a new season! DO IT NOW!
:above: :above: :above: :above: :above:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I can't do it now, I have a DoD game tonight. This weekend maybe FJ?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:I can't do it now, I have a DoD game tonight. This weekend maybe FJ?
Sure, I can do most evenings, might be a bit later than now.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Umm, we suck at this FJ. Fancy playing on Friday or Saturday night?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:Umm, we suck at this FJ. Fancy playing on Friday or Saturday night?
Sure, give me a poke whenever. I'm not usually on TS, but always on Skype/Steam/Xfire/Raptr
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Did we ever play our game?

For anyone still hankering for some competitive Blood Bowl but didn't feel competent enough for the RPS leagues, PCGamesN are gauging interest in running one, which would probably be gentler. I've not committed to it due to time constraints, but I'm trying to think of a way to manage it.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I don't think we did, but I usually am on TS Friday and Saturdays these days in contrast to back then. Not that I have any recollection of how to play, but it is probably still installed.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Me and Fab played a game tonight. At one point there were 10 players on the pitch. That's total. Good fun.

Any interest in a few games? Maybe a knockout league would be quick and easy to manage.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Aye
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

yus!

Although after my game against fab last night I shall *not* be playing as Ogres this time. I forgot how hilariously unreliable they are.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I've just created a fresh Human team and a High Elf team. Haven't decided which to use.

Set up a new league and I'll drop a team in :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Just the four of us then is it? Anyone else?
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

ooooh ill give it a bash!

and the game