Re: BF4

Post by Dog Pants »

Holy shit, that is something special.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I swept the single player of this, it's more of the same from B33f, which is no bad thing. It's CoD4 style dumb action with a sense of general badassery. which is nice.

Unfortunately, like B33F it's gently affected by scripts that don't trigger properly if you don't happen to go down the right alleyway when prompted, had to restart from checkpoints a few times due to bugs like that.

Won't bother with buying it until the 5punky uptake (Felch?) is better though, as there's no point spending £30/60 on something that won't get used, especially as PS2 has similar scale gameplay with a broadly similar mode (capture shit) and doesn't cost a penny.

As an aside, this has made me think of stuff;
I still reckon the ability to pirate CoD4 and play online was the reason it was so popular among 5punkers, no entry fee and a good experience = almost 100% purchase rate.

Also, BF2 had a demo/beta, thing, where you could fuck about on the gulf of oman and get a feel for the online, that was also a good thing, though ISTR the game was broken as fuck on release and took a few months to be less shit, but it was possibly one of our most popular game ever, right behind CoD4.

Speaking of Gulf of Oman, I remember climbing up the crane, shuffling along it to the end as a sniper, and feeling quite wobbly due to the height. I only mention this because in B44F there's a bit on the side of a dam, with absolutely no feeling of risk, of height. which was shit, and suggests the immersion wasn't that immersive.

ARMA2 managed the height/unpleasantness thing quite well, but that was probably because whenever you get within 5' of the edge of a building, there's a fair chance you'll bug out and fall off.

./stream of conciousness
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:I still reckon the ability to pirate CoD4 and play online was the reason it was so popular among 5punkers, no entry fee and a good experience = almost 100% purchase rate.
I could talk for hours about this, but briefly: I entirely agree, and so do a lot of people in the industry. And in other industries too: See Eclipse Phase being one of the most commercially successfully new RPG IP launches of recent years despite the fact you can legally get all of their books for free, or Neil Gaiman (or it might have been Pratchett, I get the two confused on this stuff quite often) saying that he would rather people pirate his books and potentially become fans than never read his books. With digital distribution there is near to no cost per unit, so it is better to have a million people consuming your stuff with a 90% piracy rate than have 10k people and a 10% piracy rate.

*quickly checks maths*

Yes.

The problem is that big businesses are slow to change and scared shitless of new ideas, even when those new ideas are completely and provably good ones. This idea is very new, counter-intuitive to someone who is used to there being a cost per item during production and although its very probably a good idea its not all that easy to prove. Which leaves us with them charging £40 and then declaring "OMG! PIRACY!" when no one wants to spend that.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Having played most of the BF4 single-player myself I'd say it's a series of marginally interesting set pieces. I only played it because I wanted to unlock the P90 and still haven't bothered to finish yet. There was, and probably still is, a bug that kills you if you climb a ladder too soon after an NPC and your head goes in his bum, insta-kill. Of course I did this a couple of times just for the fun of it.

The multiplayer game is also quite buggy, with sound cutting out entirely for long periods on certain maps, it's a little better now. And walls you can pass through.

This just in. EA execs dump shares ahead of buggy BF4 release.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/class- ... 0-6416790/
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

EA have decided the best way to fix BF4 is to offer paid-for randomised loot boxes so that those who don't have time to play can catch up with their mates.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

On the other hand, BF3 is Free, until the 3rd.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

... I keep seeing that they're adding BF2 maps into this (at least gulf of oman and dragon valley appear to be in there)

And It's down at £16 for premium, which is all the DLC and all that crap, on origin.

Only problems I see is a lack of 5punkers :)
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I've picked it up. Was playing a bit of BF3 the other week and quite enjoyed, plus I've heard fairly good things about this one.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I was tempted, but £7.50 for the base game plus £16 for all the DLC still comes to £23.50 for an old game I'm not that bothered about. I'm up for some BF3 when I get home though.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

As far as I can see it's £16 for the whole lot, which certainly brings it within the why the fuck not price range.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Is it this one? Says base game required. :(
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

That's your cart.

Origin sez:

Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Battlefield 4 Premium Edition for £15.99 - it's the base game and 5 expansions.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Cool, must just be because I'm not on Origin. If I can't find that offer on the website I'll load it up when I get home.

EDIT: Yep, looking for Premium edition got it. Bort.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Now that I can run it, might als well buy it. Won't be able to play it till next week though.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I'm 90% sure I will play a half dozen rounds, get annoyed and never play it again. But for that price im willing to give it another go. Bort.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I have this!
Joose wrote:I'm 90% sure I will play a half dozen rounds, get annoyed and never play it again. But for that price im willing to give it another go. Bort.
:above: I did this
Is it neccessary to have all the expansions?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

You'll need the expansions to play any of the maps from them. Which likely means most servers need them too, but there are usually a few about that are vanilla.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Cool beans

I'll download for some 5henaningans.