BF4

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: BF4

Post by spoodie »

Some gameplay footage from single-player.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8HVQXkeU8U[/media]

How many played the campaign in BF3? I kept forgetting it was there and it's not why I play BF games.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I didn't even run the single player game. Held no interest for me at all, as with all single player military shooters.
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

I played it as I had time to kill. Apart from being incredibly dull it wasn't even the audio visual spectal it ought to have been. Bacon 2 was far superior and that's saying a lot.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

That looks a bit lovely.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

That looks pretty, but that's literally it. I don't understand* why they're focusing on the singleplayer so much, since I've literally never heard anyone say "my, that BF3 singleplayer campaign sure was something". never.
C'mon dice, you can do better than this.

I probably do, it's because they're trying to compete with call of duty.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

I don't think I've EVER played a BF single player game... and I only purchased 1942 because I was so impressed with the online gameplay...
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Mr. Johnson wrote:I probably do, it's because they're trying to compete with call of duty.
There hasn't been a decent CoD since 4 especially if we're talking about singleplayer, so why they would want to emulate that is anyone's guess. Way to set the bar low, Dice.

I suppose there must be a market for it. A generation of slack-jawed meathead gamers sitting at their consoles going "duh! explosion! where i go now?" - I don't mean that as a generalisation; that's what I felt I was being treated like when playing the likes of MW2 and BC2's campaigns.

Nice to get to use a semicolon,there.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Mr. Johnson wrote:That looks pretty, but that's literally it. I don't understand* why they're focusing on the singleplayer so much, since I've literally never heard anyone say "my, that BF3 singleplayer campaign sure was something". never.
C'mon dice, you can do better than this.

I probably do, it's because they're trying to compete with call of duty.
I think if I were them I would have dropped BF singleplayer entirely by now, concentrated fully on the multiplayer. Even if some people do play the singleplayer, I would happily put money on the number of people buying it for singeplayer would be near as damnit to zero.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

I know it's totally unlike me to see the positives in games people slate (ha), but I thought it looked quite good. The CoD's after 4 looked as though their SP campaigns were designed to be hollywood films you could occasionally shoot people in.

I guess this is too, but it does seem a little less OTT. The most telling part for me would be to see how much of that is cutscene where control's suddenly and pointlessly wrestled away from me (my guess is that entire driving sequence near the end) and how much of it is actually playable and adaptable.

I'd give it a bash, and it certainly sweetens the deal for a game I've not really been involved in for the multilayer aspect.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

FatherJack wrote:Nice to get to use a semicolon,there.
I use them quite a lot. Am I doing it wrong?
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

The semicolon is dying; it really is. I was taught only a few years ago by an English teacher that if it reads fine as two sentences then just do that. Taken from Wikipedia this is the way I understand them to be used most (outside of lists):
Between closely related independent clauses not conjoined with a coordinating conjunction:
I went to the basketball court; I was told it was closed for cleaning.
I told Kate she's running for the hills; I wonder if she knew I was joking.
Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
A man chooses; a slave obeys.
I told John that his shoe was untied; he looked.
At the mall I bought four things; my sister bought only two things.
In those cases feel free to use a full stop, or hell even a comma even if incorrect.

Using a semicolon when you really shouldn't is of course unforgivable, and you should be subjected to the full wrath of the internet.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Thompy wrote:Using a semicolon when you really shouldn't is of course unforgivable, and you should be subjected to the full wrath of the internet.
Quite so, though I was also taught never to use 'and' after a comma. I still do though and have seen it done it many places, so I'm not sure where that teaching came from.

I rarely use them, hence my small expression of glee at busting one out. Their overuse is unsightly and they are only supposed to be used when the two halves would work perfectly well as two sentences or with 'and' between them.

They are best left for splitting up too-long sentences to remove ambiguity, such as ones with lots of 'ands' in which are usually more like lists, or for linking two sentences together which would not obviously be related. They can also be used to link two sentences together ambiguously as a replacement for using 'however' or 'but'; this leaves the reader to work out for themselves whether the second part is meant as a good or a bad thing.

Their other common use is as an übercomma for lists of groups of things with already have commas in them: egg, chips and beans; sausage, gravy and mash.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

The singleplayer in BF3 was awesome. I bought the game for the MP and was very pleasantly suprised when I started on the SP. Good story and pace and far superior to the CoDs after 4.

I'll certainly be getting BF4 and fingers crossed the SP is just as good as 3.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I'll probably give it a miss. The incessant money grabbing by EA through the release of expansion packs which are£$ mandatory if you want to find a reasonably populated server and the addition of queue jumping by throwing even more money at them - yes I know PS2 does it but I didn't fork out £40 to play that in the first place.
Another Vietnam might get my attention though.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

"Pre order now to get a BF4 premium expansion pack"

Fuck off EA.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

While actually watching the video last night I started to think they were trying to do something interesting with the story, like in Spec Ops: The Line. But later in it seemed doubtful, just another fairly standard shooter. A squad cut of from their unit or whatever's the correct military terminology.
Jimmington
Badger
Badger

Post by Jimmington »

Eh, single player?

I am refreshed seeing the responses here, and I hope it is being replicated elsewhere, that sniffing out that extra dollar ends up losing you your fanbase. I can't wait to see how they dumb this version down, maybe just one key will be used, just a big "kill" button so you don't have to worry about pesky things like tactics, commanders or aiming.

All they had to do was make BF2 look shiny and they would have a pukka game, instead they went chasing the CoD vote, so this time I will let some guinea pigs take the hit first before diving in.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Dog Pants wrote:I didn't even run the single player game. Held no interest for me at all, as with all single player military shooters.
There was a single player?
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

It wasn't all that good. You didn't miss out on much.
Jimmington
Badger
Badger

Post by Jimmington »

Preorder on Origin. 55 Sovs for the deluxe version seems a bit on the steep side. I'm out.