Roberts Space Industries

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Re: Roberts Space Industries

Post by buzzmong »

Are you using the login for the website?

It confused me slightly as my old login pre-new website was actually under my pilots name, whereas now you log in with the account name.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

It took me quite a while to log in, the servers seem to be taking a fierce beating.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

buzzmong wrote:Are you using the login for the website?

It confused me slightly as my old login pre-new website was actually under my pilots name, whereas now you log in with the account name.
I tried my RSI login ID as well as my "handle," neither of which work on the program. I can log in to the website just fine with my RSI login ID.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

The purchasing model around this game is absolutely atrocious. I pledged my money, then when the proper site goes live it asks me to take the pledge rewards and redeem them separately. Now it asks me to 'purchase' my game package with the money I pledged, and on top of that it's asking for my phone number. I don't see why they need my phone number. What the fuck is going on? Do I still have that bonus ship I paid $5 for? I'm rapidly losing trust in this.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Login or actually join? Server can get very busy at peak times at the moment and takes several attempts.

Press ` then type useful stuffs:

r_MotionBlur 0 (default 2) > you can also tone down r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed to reduce the length of the blur)
r_ChromaticAbberation 0 (default 1.5)
r_Sharpening 0 (default 0.25)
r_HDRBloomRation 0 (default 0.15)
i_mouse_accel 0 (reduce 'laggy' view in 3rd person)
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Dog Pants wrote:The purchasing model around this game is absolutely atrocious. I pledged my money, then when the proper site goes live it asks me to take the pledge rewards and redeem them separately. Now it asks me to 'purchase' my game package with the money I pledged, and on top of that it's asking for my phone number. I don't see why they need my phone number. What the fuck is going on? Do I still have that bonus ship I paid $5 for? I'm rapidly losing trust in this.
Check in the 'My hanger' section of the 'My RSI', that should tell you what ships/gear/pledge packages you have. As for asking for your phone number, it has never asked for mine from what I remember.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Pnut wrote:
Dog Pants wrote:The purchasing model around this game is absolutely atrocious. I pledged my money, then when the proper site goes live it asks me to take the pledge rewards and redeem them separately. Now it asks me to 'purchase' my game package with the money I pledged, and on top of that it's asking for my phone number. I don't see why they need my phone number. What the fuck is going on? Do I still have that bonus ship I paid $5 for? I'm rapidly losing trust in this.
Check in the 'My hanger' section of the 'My RSI', that should tell you what ships/gear/pledge packages you have. As for asking for your phone number, it has never asked for mine from what I remember.
:above:

I remember doing a bit of conversion when the sites switched, but nothing like your describe Doggers.

You haven't accidently exchanged a package for store credits have you?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I don't see how, I never log on. There's still a bunch of stuff in my hangar though. Seems sorted now, but I don't think I'll be giving them my card details.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

It's actually fairly straight forward and clearly described if you read the info, but a few people have fallen into the trap of pledging for ships only and not a game package. You must ensure you have one of the packages that comes with the actual game included, then you can add any extra ships and whatnot on top. You don't need to redeem anything - that's simply if you want to 'melt' your stuff into store credits and purchase a different ship/package.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

It clearly isn't straight forward. I've never had issues in any other game I've bought. Why would you buy a ship and not the game to put it in? Nothing on any of the screens I was directed to gave me any indication of why I needed to buy yet another package.
Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

Hi everyone. I'm back in the grand world of PC gaming again and I have heard a lot about this game. I could never get into the X games (hopeful for new one though) as it was very work it all out yourself and I couldn't. This game seems to be of similar ilk but then there is also the new elite to look forward too but I think that's way off. I'm going to have a study now but the fact a lot of you are showing interest means a lot.
One thing that worries me is that you buy in game currency? I may not be understanding this right but I'm having a browse now and do not want to end up with a pay to win or progress scenario.
Last edited by Imperatore on September 1st, 2013, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

:wave: Welcome back! There's also Elite Dangerous, but for my money Star Citizen looks to be the more ambitious of the two.
Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

Almost seems too ambitious from what I'm reading. I also predict monster PC requirements, I've just built the most advanced PC I've ever had but I still have doubts about this.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

It's 2 years away. No need to fret about it just yet!
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Imperatore wrote:One thing that worries me is that you buy in game currency?
Well, yeah and no. From what I can tell, you can *currently* buy in game currency in order to stock up your stores of some very basic items so you have stuff to play with in the hanger and the upcoming dogfighting part later in the year. They've done it this way because obviously, there's no way to actually earn in game credits in game.

However, there's limits on what you're allowed to purchase, and from sort of reading between the lines, the option to buy currency will probably stop once the game goes live.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

CR wrote:I’m very opposed to having a game where ANY of the items, outside of your initial game / ship package can be only purchased with cash. I hate the bifurcation of items in most online games, even when they are just for flair items. I want Star Citizen to allow players to earn everything they need in-game for ships, upgrades and even flair.

Our plan is once Star Citizen is launched the games ongoing running and content costs (which will be significant as we’re a data & content heavy game) will be supported by the ongoing purchase of new game packages as well as the money the game will earn by some of the players choosing to buy some UEC credits with real money as they don’t have the time or patience to earn the item in game (and for this I wanted to establish a cap so someone can’t just come in and buy everything, although with a skill based game with a heavy rock paper scissors approach to ship design and weapons this won’t help that much as you think). We are making the bet that this will be enough to cover the game ongoing running costs and we will not need a subscription like other big online games live Eve Online or World of War Craft. But it is a risk as we’re taking some of the things that games use to support on-going running costs like sale of flair items and making them not require money just gameplay.
Linkeh
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Well, there you go.

To be honest, if the skill part of it is true in this game, which as you're taking direct control it should be, then you'll end up with the scenario that happens in Eve a lot:

A person with $$$ to burn sets up an account and buys a trained up character along with a lot of plex to convert to ISK.
They then buy a faction ship (cus they're the best, innit) and splashes out billions of ISK in deadspace/officer gear.
Believes they're now l33t and promptly gets it blown up by full room aggro in a level 4 mission or loses it by going to low sec/null thinking their big pimped out battleship can roflstomp anything the same size or smaller.

Or they just get ganked as suicide ganking can be very profitable.

Either way, net result is more money for developers and generally money being taken out of the ingame economy as it goes up in smoke.
Last edited by buzzmong on September 1st, 2013, 23:01, edited 2 times in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

He says you shouldn't be able to buy items, so adds a layer of currency which you can buy with cash then use to buy your items. I don't see that as being any better.

Buzz makes a good point though with the Eve example. If you don't know how to configure your ship and skilfully make use of its potential then you're just a very expensive target. If they can make that work then it will be very interesting indeed. I'd love to fly a tackler for a bunch of warships.
Imperatore
Shark
Shark

Post by Imperatore »

I still don't like it and will await more details before pledging anything :(
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Or don't pledge anything and just buy the game when it comes out if it turns out to be good :)