Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Re: DayZ - ArmA2 Zombie survival

Post by Pnut »

Rocket, Day Z staff wrote:
Updated Changelog:
* [NEW] Server cleanup system replaced with a more agressive one
* [NEW] Inventory Interaction system (right-click on items in gear screen to bring up interactions)
* [NEW] Temperature System now implemented (effects are limited)
* [NEW] Chance of catching infection the lower your temperature
* [NEW] Chance of catching infection from already infected players
* [NEW] Water can be filled in ponds, all water pumps, wells, but not the sea
* [NEW] Forced disconnection saving for abort and alt+F4
* [NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths
* [NEW] Adrenaline rush from panicing causes greately increased hunger for a while
* [NEW] Bandaging Sound when bandaging yourself/someone
* [NEW] Coughing sound when you have an infection
* [NEW] Camera Shake when temperature drops extremely low
* [NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas
* [NEW] Fire requires wood to keep burning
* [FIXED] Should not be pellets for the Winny
* [FIXED] Helicopter loot despawning too fast
* [FIXED] Fog is way too thick
* [FIXED] Climbing a ladder with a pistol will cause you to fall
* [FIXED] Zombies not attracted to Flares and Chemlights
* [FIXED] Panic noises going apeshit all the time
* [FIXED] Zombie spotted alert far too quiet (increased slightly)
Thompy
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Thompy »

I can't play this as I don't own the thingy and can't afford to get it but christ it sounds like a good mod. Why aren't these people being paid to make games?
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

5 forums, 5 different gaming groups...all talking about DayZ. This shit is almost more popular than all the blockbuster games in the last 2 years.

Rockets was a clan modder in USEC. He started dicking around with exporting stuff to a MySQL DB a couple of years ago. He then hit up on the idea of persistent module, using zombies cos they don't require a lot of I in their AI so are relatively 'light' in terms of server CPU requirements. He then got hired by BIS, whacked it all together with some proper devs helping and fire it up on their goochy server hardware for an alpha test. He tentively requested a few people on the forum to help test, expecting in his wildest dreams to get maybe 50 to 100 people, but ran up three servers for some overhead capacity anyway. Over 80 thousand people are now playing DayZ and ArmA2CO has been in the Top Sellers list on Steam for 2 weeks.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Rocket, Day Z staff wrote:
* [FIXED] Zombies not attracted to Flares and Chemlights
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Night time is suddenly going to be a fuckton scarier, and perhaps, a bit unfair as you can see fuck all without flares and/or chemlights.

Although, reading the DayZ forums, seems you can chuck empty cans to use as makeshift zombie distraction (not as good as smoke grenades though).
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

HereComesPete wrote:Likely this is not a modified file issue, pretty much everyone has those as they don't own the games so it puts the lite versions in. (Although it doesn't list those on my mods even though it loads them)

Are you running dayz from an ArmaOA shortcut?

The addon folder may need to be in arma2 addons not OA addons in the steam apps folder.

Try running arma2, then arma2OA so it builds all the files needed. Re-enter any keys it asks for (my OA install asked or it twice) Then try dayz.

Otherwise it may just need you to get to the screen stating wait for host and just wait for 10-15 minutes as the central server is taking a hammering and it takes bloody ages to actually get in game.

Also if you haven't already, try this update here as it might not state it's needed if you updated both separately but it does add extra gubbins.
-I'm running it from from either steam itself (using the launch option line) or the updater Buzz posted, both have the same effect.
-running them both was the first thing I did, I only went to the main menu but I can see the actual files in the game directory.
-It immediately kicks when I get my missing files error. The files are actually there.
-run the update, no effect.

This is really starting to annoy me now. I downloaded arma2free on steam just so that I have arma on steam (it's installed in a separate folder as I have a retail version) without effect.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Have you tried deleting the files in the third screenshot as it suggests? What about running the steam verification check to it (as you've added it to Steam)?
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

deleting the files makes the game unplayable, as you need them to actually play the game in the first place.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Thompy wrote:I can't play this as I don't own the thingy and can't afford to get it but christ it sounds like a good mod. Why aren't these people being paid to make games?
Invalid excuse is invalid

http://www.arma2.com/free

http://www.gamesrocket.com/download/Arm ... whead.html

Under a tenner
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

Mr J, maybe try getting Steam to make a desktop shortcut, then horse that to run as administrator. See if that kicks anything into life? Otherwise make sure the updater thing is running as admin (which I don't think it did for me as default)
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Oddly enough I got it to work yesterday, after deleting all the files it claimed were missing/not supported and putting them back. This did completely fuck up my UI however, and I couldn't apply bandages anymore which made me bleed to death. Twice.

Thanks for the advice though fellas.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I was going to suggest the old take off and nuke it from orbit option, but if it's working now then hurrah!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Well, the nuke it from orbit seems to have worked, my UI and game are both fully functional now. It's still all kinds of buggy though, I was lucky enough to find a crossbow almost as soon as I spawned, and later I went into a tower where I found an AK. The AK was empty so I dropped it only to find my crossbow had vanished into thin air. Sad times.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I just logged in to find I was alive in an army base with all my stuff. I then promptly bled to dead whilst running (gimping) around looking for a bandage. :(

Someone else gets to use my shotgun now.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Mr. Johnson wrote: It's still all kinds of buggy though,
You sure it's buggy or is this just :welcome to ArmA2:? It's not the best interface ever made :P
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

friznit wrote:
Mr. Johnson wrote: It's still all kinds of buggy though,
You sure it's buggy or is this just :welcome to ArmA2:? It's not the best interface ever made :P
I find it a lot easier than arma actually, since it's pretty stripped down in the amount of things you can do. It did take me a while to learn all the controls again, there were several moments where I tried to kill zombies by viciously throwing flares at it.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I have your shotgun Pete, also new patch has come through with hot fix's a couple of hours later.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Mr. Johnson wrote:there were several moments where I tried to kill zombies by viciously throwing flares at it.
We all do that. Especially when presented with an unexpected zombie suprise in the middle of exploring somewhere.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Strange, I had it too.

I've now got bino's, bigger backpack, map, compass, winchester with lots of ammo, m1911 with some ammo, some flares, firewood, hunting knife, matches and lots of tins of stuff. I've also got the feeling of about to be violently sick as the servers I went on were fucking shocking in terms of frame rate. So I headed out into the woods and logged off.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Dead. Dead again. New spawn points, dead again. Caught a cold. Jacked up on morphine and so dehydrated I'm dying. Dead.

I'm getting frustrated by the bugs such as the can't bandage/take painkillers etc with any real guarantee they'll work unless you're stood up. And the losing stuff you drop on the ground by mistake as it hits the ground and spazzes off through the floor or a wall.

On the other side of things night is still shit scary, getting grouped and making progress is awesome, the joy of finding phat lootz hasn't worn off for me and when you successfully cull a big old horde of zeds then it feels like a real accomplishment.

I've updated top post with a fancy map - has locations for wells/pumps. Good places for guns, food, health, you name it.