The Secret World

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

deject
Berk
Berk

Re: The Secret World

Post by deject »

Joose wrote:
deject wrote:SWTOR especially is really disappointing because they should have just made KOTOR 3 instead, and it would have been so much fucking better by the sounds of everything I've heard. Taking that story driven single player experience and trying to shoe-horn it into an MMO just seems weird.
I dunno, i get what you mean apart from one thing: by far the best stories in the game are that of the smuggler and the imperial agent, and there is no way they would have made a single player KOTOR game that was focused on the tale of a largely unimportant random imperial dude. The fact that it's an MMO means they have to make content for all the classes, so they can put content in for something that would never shift single player copies.

If the stories are that good, they most definitely could have successfully made games about them. Don't forget that for most of the original KOTOR, you're just some random Old Republic trooper guy who turns out to be horse sensitive. Yes you do end up being the super-jedi and all that, but you can't tell me that those smuggler and imperial agent characters don't end up having a big impact on events.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

deject wrote:If the stories are that good, they most definitely could have successfully made games about them. Don't forget that for most of the original KOTOR, you're just some random Old Republic trooper guy who turns out to be horse sensitive. Yes you do end up being the super-jedi and all that, but you can't tell me that those smuggler and imperial agent characters don't end up having a big impact on events.
Cant speak for how the smuggler story ends up, but for the Agent although your character has an impact on events, you are still very much just a cog in the machine even at the end. An important cog maybe, but not a universe saving hero figure. You go from unimportant random imperial dude to fairly important random imperial dude.

I think what you said about KOTOR says it all: by the end you are a super-jedi. Almost all the single player Star Wars games (not counting space combat or strategy games) cast the main character as a horse user. In some of them you start out not knowing, but every single one of them ends up all lightsabers and horse lightening (with the notable exception of that one where you were a Clone Trooper, which was hardly a commercial success).

You totally could do an excellent game focussed on a less heroic, non jedi character like the Imperial Agent, but a hell of a lot of the target audience would look at it and say "You dont get a lightsaber or horse powers? Lame!" Which means that the money men would also say "So no lightsabers? We would sell a lot more copies with lightsabers. Could you make it so the main character turns out to be horse sensitive? No? Then fuck off and come back with a story where you can".
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Sounds like that video Brian Fargo did for the Wasteland 2 kickstarter.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Star Wars is a unique though, in that the vast majority of people will always want to be Luke Skywalker incarnate.

And honestly, being the super-jedi in KOTOR was pretty damn awesome. As was turning on the limb damage in Jedi Knight II.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I think my ideal SW game would be a MountmyBlade type open campaign job. You start as a complete nobody and can decide what to do. In M&B I've played whole games as a vassel to a random Lord, or as a mercenary selling my sword to whoever I fancy playing with next, or setting out on my own and creating a huge trade empire...or of course becoming a powerful indepenent king and getting my arse kicked back into vasseldom. This would fit the SW galaxy really well. There is in fact a SW mod (invetably), but it's a bit shit and ofc doesn't have spaceships or big stompy ATATs. Equally the SW mod for X3 was very pretty, but had no ground or avatar combat.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

deject wrote:As was turning on the limb damage in Jedi Knight II.
/g_SabreRealisticCombat 3

Ahh, fun times.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

friznit wrote:I think my ideal SW game would be a MountmyBlade type open campaign job. You start as a complete nobody and can decide what to do. In M&B I've played whole games as a vassel to a random Lord, or as a mercenary selling my sword to whoever I fancy playing with next, or setting out on my own and creating a huge trade empire...or of course becoming a powerful indepenent king and getting my arse kicked back into vasseldom. This would fit the SW galaxy really well. There is in fact a SW mod (invetably), but it's a bit shit and ofc doesn't have spaceships or big stompy ATATs. Equally the SW mod for X3 was very pretty, but had no ground or avatar combat.
So, basically SW:G - BEFORE the ass-patch.
deject wrote:Star Wars is a unique though, in that the vast majority of people will always want to be Luke Skywalker incarnate.

And honestly, being the super-jedi in KOTOR was pretty damn awesome. As was turning on the limb damage in Jedi Knight II.
Also, SW:G (BA-P) allowed Luke Skywalker types to be taken down by disgruntled others when a bounty was put on their heads. I've heard stories of Sith/Jedi/Someotherpowerfulcunt being stalked for days before being taken down.

"mewl mewl mewl, I'm horse sensitive"
"you went afk in the middle of nowhere with nobody to protect you, you have a nice day now"

Can a Jedi sense a sniper a mile away?
Can Lord Volvomort or did you not want to think about that JK Rowling, huh?

TSW.
Graphics need a bit of work, it is easy to see why devs go for the easy option and go all cartoony - trying to make a semi realistic living city is difficult and they havn't quite pulled it off - yet.
Gameplay is different, you need to keep moving to stay alive. Casting is done on the move apart from a few select spells. The premise is that you can channel your "ability" into whatever is in your hands, basically magic-machinegun time. You're choice of weapons designates your class, pistols are support (buffing, additional support healing) assault rifles are healers (?!) and I think big hammer types are your tanks. I think the rest are pure dps but you can mix and match anyway. The remainder are: blood magic (currently not working) elemental (yawn) chaos(zzzzz) big stabby things, small wolverine style claw gloves and shotguns.
The UI is nice, though the controls need some work they can be a bit oblique at times.
Cutscenes are very passive affairs - skip skip skip, quest. If you played SWTOR you will feel something is missing. If you are still playing WoW then you will probably be stunned and amazed by the advances in technology :P
These are all from the closed beta so there are bound to be a lot of changes before release.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Go here http://www.geforce.co.uk/games-applicat ... promotions get beta key open beta weeknd this weekend.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Boo. I would, but as with any open beta weekend I'm away.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I got some keys if anybody wants them.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I've got a closed beta key spare now if anyone wants.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

Go on then, I'll give it a go.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I've got a spare key as well.
Soonarmar
Squirrel
Squirrel

Post by Soonarmar »

spoodie wrote:I've got a spare key as well.
Could I nab that off you? I just watched the Blue Mountain preview video and this looks like it could be very, very fun. Fun and dark. I like dark games.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Soonarmar wrote:Could I nab that off you? I just watched the Blue Mountain preview video and this looks like it could be very, very fun. Fun and dark. I like dark games.
PM'd
Soonarmar
Squirrel
Squirrel

Post by Soonarmar »

spoodie wrote:
Soonarmar wrote:Could I nab that off you? I just watched the Blue Mountain preview video and this looks like it could be very, very fun. Fun and dark. I like dark games.
PM'd
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!
Binky
Mouse
Mouse

Post by Binky »

Mr. Johnson wrote:I got some keys if anybody wants them.
I don’t suppose you still have a spare key? Soonarmar has convinced me that it looks fun and not another Tabula Rasa (Worst beta/MMO ever)!

Is anyone planning on playing the open beta this weekend too? Always nice to explore a dark new world as a group. Dibs on not being the black guy, I don’t like dying.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Binky wrote:
I don’t suppose you still have a spare key? Soonarmar has convinced me that it looks fun and not another Tabula Rasa (Worst beta/MMO ever)!

Is anyone planning on playing the open beta this weekend too? Always nice to explore a dark new world as a group. Dibs on not being the black guy, I don’t like dying.
Well, I'm not planning on playing the beta so you can have mine. PM send.
Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

I've also got a key spare if anyone wants it.
Binky
Mouse
Mouse

Post by Binky »

Mr. Johnson wrote:
Binky wrote:

Well, I'm not planning on playing the beta so you can have mine. PM send.
Thanks dude :)