"An online co-op experience like no other!!!11"

Let the rage begin! 8)
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Re: Syndicate Sequel! oh no, wait...

Post by buzzmong »

Yeah, saw this yesterday.

Unlike UFO/XCOM, Syndicate *could* work really well as an FPS because in the original (and in wars), the background was that you were up in your futureblimp and remotely controlling the agents.

As long as they keep that aspect, making sure to point out you're in a blimp and doing everything remotely, maybe even going as far as having it so when the current agent you're controlling dies you swap to one of the other 3 on your team (essentially giving you 4 lives per mission) or something similar, it might be able to capture the main jist of the originals.

I don't however like the sound of the release info. Marketing guff but things like "visceral FPS combat" dissapoint me as I don't think they've quite grasped the feel of the game. Could be wrong though. Visceral, brutal but sparse combat could work but constant combat would signal failure, we'll have to wait for the trailer to know.

Still, I'd rather it was Paradox doing it than the studio EA have picked, as Fred Wester has said he wants to do a Syndicate-like game.

Co-op is currently a marketing buzz word, bit like "realistic physics!1!" was a couple of years ago
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Yeah, FPS inst necessarily bad in itself, but this sounds like it will just be another shoot-a-thon with the syndicate branding clumsily slapped on top of it.

I'm not INTERNET ANGRY, just disappointed. It feels like big developers cant relaunch a series without turning it into an FPS. I understand their logic: its a hell of a lot easier to make an FPS cross platform than it is a RTS, and cross platform = moar money. Also, FPS in general means a safer bet, money wise. But I would much prefer a modern take on the original Syndicate, with fancy new graphics and all the lessons games devs have learnt about how to do good RTS in the last few years. That sounds a lot more interesting than yet another generic future FPS.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

With regards to publishers going FPS route, yeah, it's a popular genre, but as shown by Human Revolution (which tried but failed to copy the best bits from the original DX), publishers and non gaming management don't seem to grasp it's just a viewpoint and there's a lot more you can do in it than just action shootery stuff.

Besides, just like with XCom, the argument for using the title AND making it an FPS doesn't hold much cop because the people who'd recognise the franchise will be expecting something like the originals, swapping it to a completely different genre kinda defeats the object of using the franchise and IP.

Reading those two back, I've not really managed to articulate my point, but it's a bit difficult to do.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

buzzmong wrote:the people who'd recognise the franchise will be expecting something like the originals, swapping it to a completely different genre kinda defeats the object of using the franchise and IP.
Exactly. If you are going to do a remake of an old game, make it recognisable. Remakes should be the same, but better.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

If they treat it like Buzz suggests and put it in an open, living world then it could work. The beauty of Syndicate was the open approach and freedom of movement to the missions (in most cases), not necessarily the viewpoint. However, I'm still expecting a linear shooter about cocky American corporate cyborg gangsters, cynical as I am.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Yeah, you know what I said about Paradox?

Shazzam :) :) :) :) :) :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I also saw this. It's a shame it's not a proper Syndicate license because they seem to have written out the cyborgs (presumably to try to avoid copyright infringement), but even so kudos to Paradox for listening to what gamers say they want and making it. I only hope that it pays off and gamers don't turn out to be fickle idiots who don't know what they want and end up buying the next COD game which they all complained bitterly about instead. But no, gamers never do that.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:they seem to have written out the cyborgs
I'm missing something, where does it say that? Admittedly, I cant see any direct references to them being definitely included either, but there is a bit where it says that your guys will be upgraded in between missions.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I could be wrong, I did say seem.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

:whew: At least someone is trying to do things differently. Here's hoping it's not all as nails as the oil rig mission.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

HereComesPete wrote:Here's hoping it's not all as nails as the oil rig mission.
That mission was easy-ish though once you figured out the technique. Lots of gauss guns and a couple of mini guns.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

buzzmong wrote:
HereComesPete wrote:Here's hoping it's not all as nails as the oil rig mission.
That mission was easy-ish though once you figured out the technique. Lots of gauss guns and a couple of mini guns.
It was a piece of piss! 4 shields per agent and misc other guns. Stay where you are with shields running all the time and they take each other out. Then pick off the rest of them :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Trailer is moderately promising. Syndicate or not, looks like it could be a good shooter.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewwtznVkSxA[/media]
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

The male voice at the beginning sounds like Brian Cox.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Okay, that does look good. But you could strap any new name to it, using the Syndicate IP just annoys long time PC gamers.

The music is rather spiffy as well.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

HereComesPete wrote:Okay, that does look good. But you could strap any new name to it, using the Syndicate IP just annoys long time PC gamers.

This is all true. In fact I'm pretty sure Agents in the original were brainwashed, almost mindless automatons. Certainly not ass-kicking, wise-cracking ninjas. Seems to be something of a common mistake. But as a setting with a nod to the originals it's looking good.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I like the brain hacking bit.

WubwubwubwubwubwubwubwWUBWUBWUB
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Did you notice, though, that behind the wubwubwubwub (which incidentally isn't bad for Dubstep) is the original music?

Probably actually, it's pretty obvious, but I imagine not everyone has played the original.