Movie mini reviews

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Dog Pants wrote:That's a screenshot from Defcon :)
SSSH!
Don't tell them that.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I know your sort, you're just drumming up interest (and you just watched Wargames). Write a Defcon review. I've a few things to say about it but I don't want to send this thread off on a tangent.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Well, as I just watched most of it:

Highlander: Endgame

Well, I watched because it was on the Beeb, and well, I liked the first Highlander (as it's good) and never saw the sequels (barring bits of III here and there).
Thinnish plot, lots of reuse of scenes from the first film with a few new bits, occasional scene reuse in fights, and quite frankly really poor effects for The Quickening which in 2000, should have been awesome-ish.

Connor MacLeod appears after faking a death (missed this as I missed 20 mins of the film, seems the most important bit as well), and needed more makeup seeing as how immortals don't age, the haircut didn't help either, then loses the plot a bit later on, however Chris Lambert does do a sterling effort and you can really feel the dispair in the character, shame for the rest of the cast, especially the female supporting actress, who looks decidely un-scottish with her mediterranean looks.

In short: If you need to waste 2 hours, there's better ways to do it, cleaning is one such way, however if it's on and you can't be arsed to move from the sofa and the remote is out of reach, it's bearable.

3.5/10

:starfull::starfull::starfull::starhalf::starempty::starempty::starempty::starempty::starempty::starempty:
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Word of warning, don't mention this film to highlander fans. It's been disavowed and excommunicated. I've seen it before, yet I watched it again, mainly because I couldn't be bothered to watch anything else, this was a terrible and foolish mistake.

Pro's - although duncan can't act, he can fight.
- although jacob can't fight, he can act. They create about .8 of a single believable sword weilding immortal type.
- swords.

Cons - connor could not be fucking bothered and didn't act, and looked fucking haggard.
- the rest of the cast fucking sucked.
- the fight scenes without duncan in sucked.
- the final fight sucked.
- the plot holes where grand canyon.
- it has shit 80's music mixed with shit 90's music and some overused 2k oirish lady vocalist dance track thing at the end, which is shit.

I say 2/10 it's not a one because it has swords. It would have got 5+ if connery had slurred his way through it. Don't even waste time/bandwidth sweeping it.
bomberesque
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by bomberesque »

HereComesPete wrote:Word of warning, don't mention this film to highlander fans. It's been disavowed and excommunicated.

:above: HARD

/me saw this on original release in the cinema with a group of likeminded highlander fans :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Snatch
I'm quite surprised noone mentioned this yet, as it's one of the, if not THE world's most humourous movie I've ever seen.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Baliame wrote:Snatch
I'm quite surprised noone mentioned this yet, as it's one of the, if not THE world's most humourous movie I've ever seen.
It's okay. A bit too much like Eastenders for my liking though.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I'd watch eastenders if it was like snatch. I liked snatch, thought the periwinkle blue gyppo of pitt's was rather lol.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

The Man from Earth

The whole film takes place in one house, in fact one room for the most part. A man is moving on from the university he has been teaching at for the past 10 years and his friends and colleagues throw him an impromptu party. At the party he reveals an incredible secret about himself and the rest of the film is spent explaining and exploring the implications. I'm not going to say anything more about the story as it'll spoil it. But it's a very interesting one, if not entirely original but never executed as well as this before.

The acting is not world class and some of the photography is rough. It's a low budget made for TV film, but well worth watching.

Despite it's flaws this is one of the best films I've seen recently. Watch it.
bomberesque
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by bomberesque »

spoodie wrote:The Man from Earth
:above: looks interesting. will watch :likesitall:
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Hitman

Well then, This is a bit interesting, It's a recent movie of a game, but it wasn't done by Uwe Boll, remarkably enough, it's a fairly decent movie.

Casting is a bit off in places, but the actors are all decent - if you've seen any american TV in the last 5 years, you'll recognise someone in hitman. 47 seemed about right to me.

Action scenes are pretty standard, quite brutal, and not all CGI bollocks.

Storyline is present and correct, again, not great, filled in the gaps between action.

Also contains occasional naked lady with perky boobs. which is nice.

6.5/10, solid action fun, better than I expected
:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starhalf: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty:

Note: I've not played a hitman game in years, so I couldn't tell you how much is ripped from the games.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

I did lol at the part where he bursts through the windowand the two kids are playing Hitman.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

The Orphanage

A horror, thriller with Guillermo del Toro's name attached as a producer and it's certainly in a similar style to films he's directed himself. Such as The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth. Good story, but a little slow in places, some real scares and a good dose of suspense once it gets going. Recommended, as are the two other films I mentioned. They're all in foreign though.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Pan's Labyrinth was superb, I think we've discussed it elsewhere. Kind of like Nightbreed mixed with a fairy tale set in a really horrible era of post-civil war Spain.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I loved Pan's Labyrinth too, very unusual.

Last night I watched

Flags Of Our Fathers
It looks like a film about Iwo Jima, but really it's the story of the three survivors of the men in the photo below. This is the second film I've seen directed by Clint Eastwood (Million Dollar Baby being the first), and I'm noticing that he has a thing for telling peoples' stories. He's good at it too, and despite the film being a little slow it's still engrossing. He makes you want to follow the story of these guys, and intersperses it with flashbacks to the battle to keep things interesting. Letters From Iwo Jima is a companion to the film, the same battle told from the Japanese perspective, and I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Last edited by Dog Pants on March 23rd, 2008, 11:17, edited 2 times in total.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I really liked both Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima. Great war films.

While we're on war films, I tried to watch Assembly the other week. Unfortunately with fan-made subtitles that moved way too fast. It was fine for the first part of the film, with the gritty/gory fighting, but the second part with lots of talking was impossible to watch for me and I gave up. It's set during the Chinese civil war, around the same time as WWII, and about one soldier attempting to get recognition for the sacrifice of his dead comrades. He was the sole survivor of a whole battalion after the suicidal defence of a hill, the first part of the film. It's pretty good and will be worth a watch when we get a proper English subtitle release.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

The Bank Job

Apparently based on a true story, no idea how much is accurate.

Does what it says on the tin really, set in the 70s, lots of random boobs, Jason Statham - still can't act for shit, still in decent movies.

oh, and awesome music.

Well worth a watch.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Zeitgeist: The Movie

A compelling, low budget documentary in three parts: primarily covering Christianity, 9/11 and the US Federal Bank (if I remember correctly). I have to point out that the facts and ideas presented in this film should be taken with a whole fist of salt. But it's none-the-less interesting and perhaps will inspire you to investigate things for yourself and question institutions and authority. I believe this is the point of the film rather than exposing the greatest conspiracies of mankind.

You probably wont like the first part if you're a Christian.

Also you can watch the whole thing here - http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

The Incredible Hulk

It's not bad, quite a good superhero film and a bit more enjoyable than the last one. What's nice for the fans is the cameo of Tony Stark which furthers hints at an Avengers film.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

spoodie wrote:The Incredible Hulk

It's not bad, quite a good superhero film and a bit more enjoyable than the last one. What's nice for the fans is the cameo of Tony Stark which furthers hints at an Avengers film.
I went to see this last night. It was pretty entertaining. The action scenes were sufficiently actiony, the storyline was decent enough, the acting was reasonable. Cant think of anything wrong with it really; nothing spectacular, but certainly worth seeing. Better than then Ang Lee thing, not quite as good as Iron Man.

As for the fans thing: there were some deeply, deeply obscure references in there to old comics. Plus there were *three* people in the film who have played Banner before. Bet you cant guess who they all were without resorting to interwebbing it.