TV Screen problem

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

TV Screen problem

Post by Dog Pants »

I suspect I'm only going to hear bad news here, but my TV has developed some blotches. Yesterday we thought Sprog had hit the screen and caused some of the liquid crystal to leak, but this morning more have appeared and one of the existing ones have grown. I'm not sure how to describe it, and I don't know what's caused it. Here it is:

I'd love for someone to say there's a fix for this, but it looks fucked to me. Still, anyone know what it is? Assuming it can't be fixed, anyone dealt with anything like this before? There's no way I can afford a replacement and Mrs Pants is pretty upset.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Looks like the same thing that happened when I pressed on the screen of a Nokia N70 too hard - it leaked out at first and then continued to spread, and it required a replacement screen. But it's a small screen and I had to press semi-hard on one spot, something I'm pretty sure Sprog can't do, although I can't say she didn't take something pointy and bash it against the TV.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I'm not convinced it's Sprog. She's hit the TV pretty hard before and it's not been damaged, plus the blobs are at the top of the screen in three different places. She'd find it hard to hit something up there very hard once, let alone three times. Various posts in other places accuse it of being a manufacturer fault brought on by the screen overheating. So it's looking like my options are:

1. Try to get Sony to repair or replace it. Unlikely - it's three years old and I don't know where the warranty card is.
2. Claim on the contents insurance. I don't know if that covers faults though.
3. Buy a new one. I can't afford that, but we can't be without a TV either.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Problem: you've been using an Etch-a-Sketch for a television.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I thought the refresh rate was a bit shit.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Looks like leaky crystal goo like bubbles said. To claim on the insurance pushing it off the stand and making sure it's well buggered would be better.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Oh yes, I concur with Pete, that certainly looks like accidental damage 8)
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Confirmation: It's fucked.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Yep, fucked.

Either bitch at sony, or accidental damage of a sprog knocking it off the stand should do it.
No1Jew
Meerkat of DOOM
Meerkat of DOOM

Post by No1Jew »

Claim on the insurance, that's what I did when my LG did the same thing.

Mrs Jew managed to knock it off the stand whist cleaning one day whilst there just so happened to be childrens' toys on the floor where it landed and punctured the screen !! Honest !!

Now have a nice 42" Sharp Aquos for £50 excess
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Accidental damage should cover it, I don't think you have to trash it to claim it, any damage and you should be covered.

Check the fine print of your policy. Even without specific accidental damage coverage, things like TVs are often covered automatically for accidental damage on a standard policy. Also worth checking whether you have new-for-old cover, that there's not a low maximum cover for a single item and that any excess you agreed to doesn't exceed what a new TV would cost. Claiming will likely affect your future premiums, too.

Tesco are doing a no-name 40" 1080p set for £349 at the moment, for comparison.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Well I'm certainly more likely to go for a cheapy model next time, since going Sony hasn't done me any good.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Sony told me to take it to a repair centre. No great surprise. I've plumped for threatening Play.com with the sales of goods act though, since I'm confident it wasn't damage that caused it and the TV is only 3 years old - not a satisfactory lifespan for a £600 device. If they'll pay for the repairs I'll be happy. Just getting it repaired is problematic though with the TV being pretty essential to both Mrs and Sprog Pants.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

£100 would buy a small screen TV they can watch while it's away and would double as a second monitor/backup/TV in another room afterwards. £50 would probably secure a decent second-hand model. I have a small TV I use for console playing on holiday which only gets used once a year, but that isn't a lot of use given I'm nowhere near you.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I can probably borrow one from someone at work actually.