Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

News Reader
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer

1UP: What We Want For Battlefield 3

Post by News Reader »

Image 1UP: What We Want For Battlefield 3
1UP has posted their own version of a wishlist for BF3, which also has a lot in common with the BF community. Check it out!Battlefield 3, long...

Publish Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 02:04:01 PDT
Read more...

Source: Planet Battlefield - The Ultimate Resource
Description: Planet Battlefield - The Ultimate Resource
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Well I know it's still only speculation, but this is relevant to my interests. Without having played Bacons, I would like Beef3 (Threef? Tripe?) to be very much like Beef, but more so.

In fact, anyone got Beef installed still? :)
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Judging by the occasional comment by Baz on the official forums regarding BC2 not being like Beef, I think they'll actually be making a proper sequal to Beef.

Which means bigger maps, more vehicles, more classes etc...
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Not sure if I agree with fighter jets returning. Not only do you run the risk of being jet whored, but you also end up with your own team being complete and utter cunts over it.

Case in point from Baconz last night: for once I was in a Hind as the gunner. It was going great - lots and lots of kills. Then we were team killed because some little shit decided he wanted a go on the helicopter. He spent the whole map standing by the helicopter spawn point, and when he got in it he didn't even manage to kill anyone.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I wouldn't mind jets coming back, but there would have to be changes.

More AA in maps (or more portable AA, Bacons does that with the AA tank), and the requirement that jets must land and stop to rearm therefore meaning even the most skilled pilots who can avoid AA are put into a position where they're vunerable to ground froces.

Works well with the general idea of planes being strong in the air and extremely vunerable on the ground.

Dice would also need to design the maps that the airports are not in uncaps or at the "final points" nor smack bang in the middle (although, a fight for a runway could be a good map) but somewhere inbetween. That could also address the issue with people sitting and waiting for vehicles because they wouldn't be in a "safe" area.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I don't like jets in BEEF. They just don't work anything like that in reality - on no modern battlefield would you have a fighter lurking above for long amounts of time waiting for targets to appear, especially when there's no air superiority. Air strikes, like in most other modern setting games are more realistic. However, realism isn't everything.
In gameplay terms they're bad because they're completely asymmetrical - they can cause a lot of damage but the only thing that can retaliate is another jet. Even the ground based AA is useless againt them, doing little damage and always placed in the worst possible positions.
Helicopters have the same problem to a lesser extent, but at least they have a place on the battlefield. As Buzz says, more portable AA would be great - BFV had it, as did 2142, and leaving it out was always my biggest gripe with BEEF.
They'll keep them in because of the Battlefield heritage - that you can play with all the toys of the warfare of the time. In 2142 though, and BACON, air power didn't play a huge part of the game, more a supporting role. They also happen to be my two favourite games in the series. I don't think that's a coincidence.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Beef did have mobile AA, although I'm not sure every map with jets also had it. If you could find the right spot to camp, it could be pretty effective, although the guns on it were probably better at killing infantry than planes.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

The problem with the AA in beef was that it's lock time and range was utter gash. As soon as anything beeped a plane would turn and bomb the snot out of you.

AIX had better AA because it was in better positions, locked on faster and had more options like a one shot kill fly by camera alt-fire, it wasn't easy to use but it made it a bit fairer. Plus it had occasional spawns of stingers/strelas that helped scare off the plane whores.
Last edited by HereComesPete on August 19th, 2010, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Anhamgrimmar
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by Anhamgrimmar »

Thats one of the things that BFV did right, in that the NVA could actually pack a man portable strela, meaning that the US jet whores couldnt rely on just bombing the snot out of the sam sites, then bimbling round with impunity
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Essentially what we're saying is that the AT Class of Beef should be a special weapons class with a choice of AT or AA weapons, so a gamer can respond to the biggest threat?

Wouldn't mind that at all.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

buzzmong wrote:Essentially what we're saying is that the AT Class of Beef should be a special weapons class with a choice of AT or AA weapons, so a gamer can respond to the biggest threat?

Wouldn't mind that at all.
Makes sense to me. :above:
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Horses
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

friznit wrote:Horses
Actually...

Battlefield 1066!
Horses!
Bows and Arrows!
Trebuchets and suchlike!

The more I think about this, the less silly it sounds. :?
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

So Medieval: Total War, but as a FPArcher? :likesitall:
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Bindun: Mount & Blade Warband.