Geekfood Mk2.

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re: Geekfood Mk2.

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

That's pretty much exactly what I do for putting stuff in type sauce, but for thick, takeawayesque dipping sauce, the corn flour does it.

I suspect the actual Chinese one is red food dye, rice vinegar, cheap syrup, cornflour, but that's just guesswork.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Berk's on a diet! This is the sort of crap I've been eating.

Heart failure frittata!

Ingredients:
150g mozzarella
Pizza toppings
Sriracha to serve

Method:
Pre-cook toppings to render excess fat out.

Apply cheese evenly to good nonstick frying pan, put over medium heat until melty

Add toppings, whack under grill for a bit, make the top all lovely and pizza-y

Remove the whole mess and cook more until the bottom of the cheese has browned and gone crispy (so as to act as a base to your non existent pizza)

Cut, stuff into face.

Take aspirin.

Ugly, but delicious
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I like your tactical spatula.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Chicken
Last night's left over ham
Fresh mint and lemon balm grown on genuine welsh horse shit
Pepper/white wine/garlic/white wine vinegar to taste
Knob of butter cos fuck living until you're 90
Just roll it cheater's puff pastry
25 mins in oven
Varicose veins
Nomafuckinglicious.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

We made these* again today. I made them once before but they weren't a huge success since I couldn't get the dough to rise which was probably due to a combination of using a metal mixing pot (too cold) and using butter instead of lard. After locating lard and using a plastic bowl we had some more success and a less sticky dough.

If you want to have a go at making them be sure to calculate in some time since it takes a little while to make them what with dough rising etc. so it's really something for a Sunday or a day off or whatever. To make them a bit fancier you could have a go at making your own custard and lumping it up with some cornstarch but I've not tried this myself yet so let me know if it works out.

You'll also need a bamboo steamer but these are available at every Chinese store and are inexpensive. A metal steamer would probably work just as well but it might affect the flavour. You can enjoy them both warm and cold from the fridge. Enjoy!

*Recipe at the bottom.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Nom
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

They look lovely but I'm more interested in your fridge that keeps things warm and cold. I have a thermos like that, keeps warm things warm and cold things cold. Can't wait to eat my tomato soup and ice cream later.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Dog Pants wrote:They look lovely but I'm more interested in your fridge that keeps things warm and cold. I have a thermos like that, keeps warm things warm and cold things cold. Can't wait to eat my tomato soup and ice cream later.

It was a normal fridge but then wizards happened.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

This is a good thing, certainly the best stick blender mayo recipe I've tried.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

This week I have mostly been:

Frying chips in lard, rather than oil. Fucking delicious, seems a bit closer cafe chips from my childhood where they're hotter than the sun, and stay crispy for at least an hour. Duck/Goose fat would be more awesome, but I can't afford that.

Sous videing chicken for sarnies, tender as fuckery and takes less time than roasting.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Attempted barbecue last night - cheap throwaway thing as I haven't had a chance to go boy a proper one yet. Ended up grilling/frying everything as the crappy metal melted when I started blowing on the coals due to it not lighting properly.

Anyway, on to what I cooked -

Rump steak in a smoked paprika, cumin, fresh ginger and sweet soi glaze, did this in the pan to get the soy bubbling and sticky. Steak was a bit fresh, slightly too much cumin. Good though. In terms of amounts, it was my usual throw stuff in measurements (sparing on the first 3, less so on the soy).

Also did skhug chum and garlic chicken & veg kebabs. Skhug is similar to harissa, but has lots of coriander seed, the chum version has sun dried tomato in. Bought a tub of it, mashed some garlic in, slathered the mix over the chicken and bunged in the fridge for a bit. Tasted awesome, but the missus found it a tad too spicy for her (for reference she'll eat a madras but find it a tad hot).

And finally, pork loin steaks in vanilla maple syrup and wholegrain mustard on balsamic caramelised red onion mash.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

We did a burnination yesterday too, fairly standard dull english due to the people I was feeding, but I did do a rack of ribs, which was nice, as were the tikka kebabs, which seemed to be rather helped by the fact the current state of the burninator means it runs at about 300c with the lid shut, not quite a tandoor, but still plenty warm enough.

Anyway, rib rub was something like;
1 cup of dark brown sugar.
1/3rd cup maldon salt.
tablespoon each of cumin, paprika, cayenne and chili powder.

and cooked in a foil pouch with cider vinegar, wooster sauce and honey (enough that when I tasted the mixture I didn't cough).

Worked pretty well, but the ribs were just a spot tough as I was using big meaty spares, rather than the baby backs from morrisons.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Oh yeah, and I've been fiddling with ghetto BBQ sauces this week.

Some combination of ketchup, treacle, mustard and wooster sauce = immense happiness. :)
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

I made a Bacon Explosion today, because I can.

http://imgur.com/a/o9MpQ

was quite delicious, but there's wasn't a huge amount of it. next time, MOAR!
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

What's the main filling being added in picture 4?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

6 or so sausages peeled and mooshed up a bit, while still half frozen.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Since there might be other interested parties, here's the donut recipe we used to make this:

I do recommend using a deep fryer though, it's so much easier and results will be way more even.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMP7VhJOtso[/media]
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I think I've proven that I'm a better accidental scientist than I am a deliberate cook, by creating superdense chicken. This stuff is attracting the slices of courgette in my stir fry with its gravitational pull.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Food!

It's getting cold and miserable (hey, it's Wales, it's shit from September to march unless we get snow, then it's frozen hell)

So, given I'm somewhat lacking in inspiration aside from the basics, Give me ideas!
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

You came up with one yourself a few days ago...

Pain au bacon!