New season talk type thread thing.

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: New season talk type thread thing.

Post by FatherJack »

I'm watching The Tunnel which has popped up with a second series on Sky Atlantic/Canal+ after a three-year gap. It is a British-French cop duo investigating crimes which start out with a link to the channel tunnel. The British guy was Stannis in Game of Thrones and the French woman was Fleur in Harry Potter. The plot is pretty twisting, but it's the characters and natural dialogue that carry it - he's showing a cheery face to the world but is really just papering over some deep cracks, she is plain-speaking and transparent yet somehow unable to connect with people to the point of being almost psychopathic.

It's kind of an Anglo-French version of the Danish-Swedish The Bridge, btw if it sounds familiar, the first series being very similar, the second less so.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Preacher has started on Amazon. Only 1 episode in, but pretty good so far (the Guardian have already proclaimed it the best comic adaptation ever, but no one listens to those fuckwits).

I previously mentioned Marseille. Sadly it didn't live up to its initial promise - story just of drifted off and some of the flourishes got really tiresome (one note ominous piano key, tilt shift camera shots, voiceover "flashbacks"). A shame really, I was expecting something similar to State of Play. God I loved State of Play.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Roman Totale wrote:Preacher has started on Amazon. Only 1 episode in, but pretty good so far (the Guardian have already proclaimed it the best comic adaptation ever, but no one listens to those fuckwits).
Its pretty enjoyable, but what on earth are they basing "best comic adaptation ever" on? Its only one episode. It *could* go on to develop into something better than Daredevil or Jessica Jones, but it could also shit the bed entirely by episode two.

Good cast though, from what I remember (its been ages since I read it) they are certainly getting the spirit of the characters right.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I was slightly wrong when I said Preacher had started - the pilot is out, but the series doesn't start proper until 6th June. Which seems a weird way of doing it.

Just started watching Bloodlines. Not bad, but it's definitely a slow burner. Don't expect edge of your seat thrills, more of a character development type thing.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Last time I said this it was immediately followed by the Red Wedding, so hopefully something similar will happen again...

This series of Game of Thrones is really dull. There are fragments of interest followed by swathes of fuck all. I gather there are only 3 episodes left now, and it feels like things are being eked out so they can get this series in before the last book comes out. Also Arya's plot line has become eye rollingly tedious.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Roman Totale wrote:I was slightly wrong when I said Preacher had started - the pilot is out, but the series doesn't start proper until 6th June. Which seems a weird way of doing it.
Second episode is up. Unfortunately showing each episode weekly, after airing in the US it says.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Roman Totale wrote:Last time I said this it was immediately followed by the Red Wedding, so hopefully something similar will happen again...

This series of Game of Thrones is really dull. There are fragments of interest followed by swathes of fuck all. I gather there are only 3 episodes left now, and it feels like things are being eked out so they can get this series in before the last book comes out. Also Arya's plot line has become eye rollingly tedious.
I feel like they're just treading water with character development filler, unkilling everyone who was killed is pretty lame too.

Finale is meant to have a massive battle though, so that'll entertaining. Hopefully.

Frankly I want to see the dwarf and a dragon spitroast daenerys, just because it'd be amusing.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I wonder if they have Ferraris in Westeros?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

by the end of the season, arya will be able turn into any sports car for the dragons.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

New Blood

New(?) series on BBC. Some people sign up for a medical trial, and a few years later they all start dropping dead in mysterious circumstances. Two seemingly unrelated investigations by the police and the Serious Fraud Office start to converge.

It's quite entertaining. Really cliched in parts, and not a lot of substance in others, but it's fairly enjoyable to watch.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Not sure if this has been posted already. I havent seen it before though, and it looks shiny.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3u0IlBBO4[/youtube]
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Ooh I was just coming here to post that. Looks pretty good so far - I'm hoping that as it's a series it gets to be a bit more 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' type stuff.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Isn't this Peter Fonda talking to Hopkins? Who starred in Future World, the sequel to the original West World. He's not in the cast list that I can see.

Liam McPoyle from Always Sunny as well.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

spoodie wrote:Liam McPoyle from Always Sunny as well.
That explains the shot of the spilt milk.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4877736/

Braindead, alien brain parasites, politics, insane.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Preacher is progressing nicely. If you're put off by the "comic book adaptation" thing, don't be - it's not superhero stuff. Like Joose I only remember fragments of the books, so I'm not viewing it from a fan boy angle at all. The guy who plays Cassidy is really good, and I found out this week that he's not even Irish - he's from Chorley!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Roman!

Please predict that the last episode of GoT will be bland shite.

It's pretty reliable so far.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I'm backing Lady Mormont for the Iron Throne.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Fargo season 2 now on Netflix.

Preacher continues to be good. The pacing is weird as fuck, but it still manages to work. The fight in the motel (episode 6 maybe?) was brutal, surreal, lunacy.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Roman Totale wrote:Fargo season 2 now on Netflix.
That's odd, doesn't netflix do worldwide releases? I've seen season 2 in 2015.