Cutscenes

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Cutscenes

Post by Dog Pants »

Am I alone in loving cutscenes, intros and end sequences? Since the spawning of 'interactive movies' and the god-awful FMV sequences in the likes of C&C and Wing Commander they seem to have lost all popularity.

The intros to Mechwarrior 2, Quake 2 and Syndicate Wars, the Battle on the Amerigo cutscene from Starcraft. Fantastic little movie sequences.

Does anyone know if or where these can be downloaded? I google them every now and again but I've never successfully found even one.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

The Wing Commander ones with Mark Hamill truly were awful.

Other than that I can't help you :roll:
Stuk
Monkey
Monkey

Post by Stuk »

I do like the little movies at the begining of games, and the Max Payne graphic novel seqences were brilliant (although not exaxctly cut scenes).

Cut scenes if done well can really make a game.

And, sorry, no idea where you can download them, there's got to be a site somewhere, this is the interweb after all. Maybe you'll just have to convert them from the original games?
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

i like the final fantasy VII cutscenes

dunno where u can download em from though, ill have a quick lookie
Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: Cutscenes

Post by Joose »

Dog Pants wrote:Am I alone in loving cutscenes, intros and end sequences?
nope. I love em.
Syndicate Wars, the Battle on the Amerigo cutscene from Starcraft. Fantastic little movie sequences.
very much this. Blizzard have an especially high standard of cutscene, the ones in WC3 were lovely, and the intro movie for WoW is bloody brilliant.
Does anyone know if or where these can be downloaded? I google them every now and again but I've never successfully found even one.
I dont know either, but you've inspired me to go for a look-see.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Personally, I think most cutscenes are crap. However there are a few gems in the gaming world.

I actually prefer the Half-Life (and Deus Ex) method of "cutscenes." I like the consistant look that they have. I dislike cutscenes that look much better than the game I'm playing.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I think thats possibly one of the reasons i dont mind there being cutscenes in RTS's though. The game has inbuilt breaks in the flow anyway, due to the fact that it has clear cut levels. Plus, the cutscenes are generally from a viewpoint drastically different to the one you play the game from; you play from a birds eye view but the cutscenes tend to be up close and personal. In that way they can be of a much higher quality than the game engine itself without making the engine look shite in comparison.

Ive so far failed to find any for download though. This saddens me greatly.

EDIT:Ive found the WoW intro. http://www.blizzard.com/wow/movies/, around half way down, titled "2001 ECTS Cinematic Trailer". Tis very pretty. Watch it, now.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Personally I prefer interactive type cutscenes like you get in HL2 but the regular type of cutscene can be very nice. Guild Wars being one that impressed me recently which you can download from the usual sources.

After a quick search I found the Halo 2 ones:

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/cutscenes/halo2.html
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

spoodie, have u made your avatar so the head gets bigger, or did u do that when u made it wink and i never bothered to watch it for long enough, or are my eyes playing tricks on me all together
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

The Quake 3 one was rather jolly, and the UT2004 one with the nVidia logo was a laugh, but the WoW and Dungeon Siege II intros are very nice to watch.

I think they are good examples which generate excitement before the first play, are sometimes good insight into what the games makers had in their heads when making the game, and are good to come back and watch again after playing - you spot a few things you didn't before.

The Neverwinter Nights intro, though leaves you a little disappointed with the actual game, and the cutscenes almost become the reason for playing the Final Fantasy series - although they are stunning.

Cutscenes done with the game engine can be very good (HL2, NOLF2) sometimes average (Guild Wars/Dungeon Siege 2 - their mouths don't move!) and sometimes laughable (the worst I ever saw was Overblood 2 on the PS1)
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

I did like the Q3 cutscenes :)
<i>Level Seven: Elite.
Xaero</i>

Me: *Tremble*

Oh, and starcraft FMV sequences? My friend and I used to recall them allll the time, one by one, in order. I absolutely loved every single one of them.

Battle on the Amerigo?
I got your cold fusion riiiiight here.
NiGhtcrawler
Womble
Womble

Post by NiGhtcrawler »

any of the FF cutscenes are truley amazing. and i also enjoy the devil may cry cutscenes because dante is so cocky and its over the top but who cares its cool! haha :twisted:
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

shot2bits wrote:spoodie, have u made your avatar so the head gets bigger, or did u do that when u made it wink and i never bothered to watch it for long enough, or are my eyes playing tricks on me all together
the bulging head thing is new, I just didn't mention it. I wanted to see if it was noticed and confuse people :lol:

the guild wars intro I downloaded was not done with the engine, it looked like almost lord of the rings quality

I've just started playing fable lost chapters and that has one of the most boring intros I've seen recently, great game though and you can skip cutscenes :wink:
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

NiGhtcrawler wrote:any of the FF cutscenes are truley amazing. and i also enjoy the devil may cry cutscenes because dante is so cocky and its over the top but who cares its cool! haha :twisted:
the FFVII intro cutscene sucked wet biscuits, stare at the stars and see some girl walking then a reactor, WOOOO ACTION!!
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Joose wrote:I think thats possibly one of the reasons i dont mind there being cutscenes in RTS's though. The game has inbuilt breaks in the flow anyway, due to the fact that it has clear cut levels. Plus, the cutscenes are generally from a viewpoint drastically different to the one you play the game from; you play from a birds eye view but the cutscenes tend to be up close and personal. In that way they can be of a much higher quality than the game engine itself without making the engine look shite in comparison.

Ive so far failed to find any for download though. This saddens me greatly.

EDIT:Ive found the WoW intro. http://www.blizzard.com/wow/movies/, around half way down, titled "2001 ECTS Cinematic Trailer". Tis very pretty. Watch it, now.
I'll agree with you there. RTS's are totally different than FPS's.

Dungeon Siege 2 has some really really good cutscenes, and then there are some that are totally pants.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

shot2bits wrote:i like the final fantasy VII cutscenes
OMG THIS!! Seriously, square fucking wins.
cashy
Zombie
Zombie

Post by cashy »

ff7 and devil may cry for the FMV win. although i fucking loved XIIV (think thats right) cutscenes for the reasons that the story line fucking ruled as did the way they were set out like a comic. especialy as alot of the times in game the key parts would be shown in the same 'integrated close up' way. also loved the way it rewards you for getting a headshot with a knife by showing it in close up glory, without interupting the gameflow AND keeping in with the games theme. cocking ace
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

cashy wrote:ff7 and devil may cry for the FMV win. although i fucking loved XIIV (think thats right) cutscenes for the reasons that the story line fucking ruled as did the way they were set out like a comic. especialy as alot of the times in game the key parts would be shown in the same 'integrated close up' way. also loved the way it rewards you for getting a headshot with a knife by showing it in close up glory, without interupting the gameflow AND keeping in with the games theme. cocking ace
isnt it XIII? some game that was on ps2 i think that was cartoony, it mighta been a comic book sorta thing i dunno
cashy
Zombie
Zombie

Post by cashy »

yeah thats the one, and it adds up anyway. looked cartoony graphics wise with its cell shading and whatnot, but the cutscenes and some in-game bits were set out like a moving comic. if you have ever seen the ones stick figure ninja did where only one bit of the comic would move at a time, then when that stoped another bit started you will know what i mean.
alternatively if you have played the game you will know what i mean
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Without cutscenes, Metal Gear Solid would have been shit, but it made the game 8)

I still have MGS2 on the PS2 downstairs, but I haven't got past the first level, as I don;t have as much patience as I used to.