Movie mini reviews

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Re: Movie mini reviews

Post by HereComesPete »

JGL has been cool for ages now. Or as this article states, Badass.

It doesn't seem to mention he writes songs with zooey deschanel as part of his creative arts collective and that he also said pretty women are mostly unfunny. So there's another two +1's on his part.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Joose wrote:What Deej said did occur to me as a bit of a plot problem too, but I thought of another.
Spoiler:
The bomb was described as having a blast radius of 6 miles. That means that for the batcopter thing to have taken it to a safe distance, it would need to be at least 6 miles out into the bay, preferably more. It didn't start off at the waterside, but the island itself isn't all that huge, so lets say it went 7 miles out, or thereabouts. The last time we saw the timer was just as it was being hefted up, and it was on around 1m20s (slightly under that I think, but that's close enough for my point). That means the batcopter would have had to *average* about 315 miles per hour. It certainly didn't jump to top speed straight away, so it would have had to have hit a top speed waaay faster than that. By comparison, a quick googling suggests the fastest real helicopter in the world can only go about 250ish.
Considering how the timed MacGuffin general works in film, and other entertainment media, I don't think it's fair to cite this as a problem with the film. It's a mechanism for increasing suspense and shouldn't be analysed too closely. So that aside the speed doesn't really matter.

And perhaps it was a homage to this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4v1hAnfy1I :)
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Nuns! Reverse!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've seen that video referenced a few times but only just watched it all the way through. I never had Batman down as a comedy series, but that had me laughing out loud by the second time he runs into the band, then the ducks broke me.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

That's from the 1966 movie. If you haven't seen it, do so. It's not a great film, but it is amazingly ridiculous. Batman also fights a shark while hanging from a helicopter. Plus it's got loads of villains in it, not just a pathetic one or two like Nolan's films. ;)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Damnit, where's that gif of Batman battering the shark with a dildo when you need it?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

spoodie wrote:It's not a great film, but it is amazingly ridiculous.
:above: This. Its hilariously terrible.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:Damnit, where's that gif of Batman battering the shark with a dildo when you need it?
This one?

That is the scene I was referring to above.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

That's the one! I figured that was the scene. Pretty racy stuff for its time, what with all the dildo.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Roman Totale wrote:I'm keen for more views on TDKR - everywhere I look people are saying it's the best thing since sliced Jesus.
I watched it last night, I liked it, I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it.
It was always going to be difficult to follow TDK but I agree that TDKR tries to be a bit too epic and falls short

I think all 3 films as a trilogy work really well though.

Notes:
Spoiler:
I found suspending my disbelief harder with the bombs going off around the city than with the batcopter flight.
The whole secretly planting 100's of strategic bombs under the city thing was a bit of a stretch, I thought that was a bit lucky as well, all the cops are trapped alive with no way out?, all those bombs worked perfectly then, and why didn't he just kill all the cops?.
Wasn't it a bit of a risk keeping Lucias etc. alive after they activated the power thingy?, well it wouldn't have been if Bane hadn't revealed the whole plan to them, "Hey guys, the nuke is going off in exactly 4 months anyway, LOL, off you go, don't tell any cops, especially Gordon"
bomberesque
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

TDKR

Post by bomberesque »

TDKR I thought was more or less appalling. Really, none of the major plot lines / points held any water whatsoever. shame as I generally like Nolan's stuff a lot

... that said, at least it wasn't as bad as T4 but still an absolute disgrace next to Batty Begins (which was flat out fucking awesome from start to finish). Then again I didn't enjoy TDK too much so I suppose TDKR could be argued to be a predictable extension of a downward trajectory from brilliance through whatever to polished turd

thought on catbird; having realised that her arse looked that good on the batbike, I'm hoping the director's cut is 3 hours of her riding away from the camera. Oh, and the glasses popping up and making little ears, which didn't seem to be noticed by any of the characters, making the whole catwoman persona an in joke between director and viewer was the most effective thing in the film .. and that arse/bike combination...

not sure whether I think it was better than Prometheus but I think probably I do on balance. Possibly that because I had such great hopes for Prometheus and wasn't too bothered about TDKR so I feel less let down
Last edited by bomberesque on August 23rd, 2012, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
bomberesque
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Columbiana

Post by bomberesque »

Luc Besson with another movie about a young girl and a hood. In this one though the girl (as an adult) is played by the chick who was Uhura in startrek XI, the hood by Rabbit from that US medical drama thing

uh, what?

exactly

*WARNING absolutely no spoilers* Oh, and it's a revenge flick. kid sees family killed in Columbia, runs to teh US and ends up working as an assasin for her uncle. her calling card ia a drawing of an orchid on the chest of her victims. It's a message to her parent's assassins. BUT THAT WAS A SPOILER I hear you shout :ignore: :ignore: :ignore: No, it wasn't, that's all on the back of teh Box although it is, more or less, the whole film :facepalm:

Leon is a better film with loads more character depth and humour (ie; some), every Korean revenge flick I've seen is a far superior revenge flick. this is rubbish. does have some free running in, but even that could be lots better

NIL POINTS
bomberesque
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Benda Bilili

Post by bomberesque »

Bored of reading about movies I don't like? Here's one I do like; Benda Bilili. It's a doc about a band of street musicians (mostly crippled by Polio) discovered by some french dudes who back them to produce an album and to a short tour of europe. Like Buena Fista Social club only in Africa. Really human, really great and the music is infectious.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

No points for Zoe Soldana being really hot? That's the only reason I finished it, though it's not as bad as people say it is.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

spoodie wrote:The Cabin in the Woods (2011)*

An interesting and clever twist on the horror genre, not what you'd expect at all. Don't watch the trailer, don't read up on the plot or spoiler filled reviews. Just see it, at the cinema or home later. I'm not saying it's the best film ever, but it's a lot of fun and better if you don't know what's coming.
Watched this last night after trawling our mini-reviews, not just another remake of backwoods cabin horror and was well worth it. Good call spoodie.
bomberesque
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by bomberesque »

deject wrote:No points for Zoe Soldana being really hot? That's the only reason I finished it, though it's not as bad as people say it is.
fair point, she is hot, I was probably a bit harsh, it's just such a shallow plot
Sol
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Sol »

Dredd (not 3D)

Faaaack.
:ahoy:

:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty:
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Sol wrote:Dredd (not 3D)

Faaaack.

:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty:
I also really enjoyed it. Wasn't deep, meaningful or innovative - but it was bloody good fun. Made me want to face stomp perps on the way out of the cinema. Also props for the Snuff Box theme tune having a cameo.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I went to the pictures yesterday and saw Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, in 3D. It was a thoroughly entertaining kid's film from Dreamworks with enough there to give the grown-ups a chuckle. Our ages ranged from 7 to 70, but we universally enjoyed it - which is a rare thing for fickle pre-tweens and grumpy olds.

My only exposure to the franchise is The Penguins of Madagascar TV series, but I got into the swing of it pretty quickly - it was good to see the penguins and King Julien doing their usual comic turns. Chris Rock's Marty the Zebra isn't quite Eddie Murphy's Donkey from Shrek, but unlike that series the latest installment seems to be the best in this case.
bomberesque
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by bomberesque »

Sol wrote:Dredd (not 3D)

Faaaack.

it's not out here until mid nov. bloody euro bastards. I suspect the real trick with this movie (aside from keeping his fucking hat on) is that they didn't chase a 15 cert. really looking forward to it