Geekfood Mk2.

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

HereComesPete wrote:Honey ginger glaze. Serve with something like a herb risotto side or veggies.
That'll work :)
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Not worth a new thread, given it's a bit too foodie. :)

Pork tenderloin dry rub enough to cover one or so.

2tsp thyme
2tsp mustard powder
2tsp maldon salt
1tsp smoked paprika
1tsp Cumin
2/3rds tsp ground black pepper

(Also, a pork tenderloin or two)

Grind all the rub ingredients with a pestle and mortar, add to meat.
Wrap in clingfilm, wait for 2-4 days, cut in half.
Wrap in clingfilm really, really well (or vac pac, or whatever you want)
Cook in 53-55c water for 3-8 hours.
Remove, slice pretty thickly.

I went for a port reduction with some mustard and onions, worked pretty well, but not perfect.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Today I cooked ribs. Unusually, it wasn't a whole rack, but rather the individual spare ribs you can sometimes buy in supermarkets, which I've tended to shy away from in the past. I basically followed the Good Eats method, as advocated by Berk, but using the following dry rub and liquid mixes.

Dry Rub:
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons brown sugar/molasses
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chilli powder

Braising liquid:
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Method:
In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Lay the individual ribs out in something like a glass casserole dish - doesn't matter what so long as it's oven proof and large enough for them to all sit on the bottom. Sprinkle the ribs generously with the dry rub, and mix them up so that they're all properly coated. Cover tightly in clingfilm and refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour - I did them for 24 hours and I think they really benefit for the extra time.

When you're ready to start cooking, pre-heat the oven to 120C. Combine all ingredients for the braising liquid in a microwavable container, and microwave on high for 1 minute.

Remove the clingfilm from the top of your ribs, pour the liquid over them, and wrap tightly in two layers of foil - try and seal it all the way around the edges if you can. Braise the ribs in the oven for 4-5 hours.

Remove the casserole dish from the oven and transfer the braising liquid into a wide-based pan. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency (because of how it looks when boiling, keep removing from the heat so you can actually check the consistency or it'll suddenly have turned very thick indeed without you noticing). Decant into something smaller, and then brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the grill just until the glaze caramelizes lightly, then turn the ribs over and repeat for the other side. Do this a couple of times until all the glaze is gone and/or the ribs are nicely browned without being burnt.

Eat, and bask in your own glory at the amazing food you have prepared.
Last edited by Lateralus on August 28th, 2010, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Booze Sauce (Ripped from masterchef)

Goes well with steak, probably gamey meats too.

Ingredients:
Red wine
Port
Red onion, chopped into a few 1" cubes
Salt
Knob of Butter
(in hindsight, a bit of thyme might help, but it's fine without)

Method:
Stick equal quantities (I used 400ml of each) of wine and port into a small saucepan
Add onions and a decent pinch of salt
Bring to the boil, turn down to a high simmer for fucking ages (45 minutes is a good start)
After 45 minutes or so, start tasting it. once it tastes fucking awesome, strain the onions out and put the sauce back on the heat to reduce a little more (be careful now, don't overdo it)
once it's a bit thicker, remove from the heat, stick it in a bowl and add your butter, stir it in (this mostly just makes it pretty)

Pour over cow parts.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Edited the rib recipe for a slightly lower temperature. Just tried them again, and cooking them at 120C makes the meat awesome - shrinks back off the bones more, and when I moved to grill them, two of the bones were left in the dish.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

may have accidentally bought some ribs. also a turkey breast to attempt to sous vide for about 3 days :P
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Sous vide setup has been fettled a little with the addition of a steel rule to give more accurate temperature measurements.

Also, my kitchen needs cleaning. A lot.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Lateralus wrote:Dry Rub:
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons brown sugar/molasses
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chilli powder
I like this, it's pretty subtle, nice and rounded with smokeyness and warmth.

For those not used to dealing with racks of pig:

There's an evil membrane on the inside side of the ribs, which is a bit of a cupcake to remove. This is handy, but if you have no luck you can just crosshatch the membrane with a sharp knife, it'll help the fat render and the membrane will be less of a bother when nomming. (it's hardly noticeable anyway, but still)

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:also a turkey breast to attempt to sous vide for about 3 days :P
That worked well, nice and tender, not stringy, and all round good.

buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:This
Haha, that's oddly brilliant. The riff in the background, the gravely voiced dude doing a narration, put them together and it is like a blues version of the M&S adverts.
Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by Lateralus »

Just in case anyone wants the recipe for the portal cake on the disco board, here it is in all its glory.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

The Michigan BLT

Looks more like a BBB to me though. Who volunteers to make and eat one?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Paging Berk!
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dog Pants wrote:Paging Berk!
Like the bat signal, but the silhouette of a piece of back bacon projected into the sky.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

1/2lb of bacon or so in there.

Also, experimentation with ribs seemed to result in 125c for 2 1/2 hours making me happy.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Also, experimentation with ribs
Removal of?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Yep, I now fully live up to the kitteny in my name. :)
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Finally took some photos for this, so there.
Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Right, this is undoubtedly a little, tiny bit more complicated than wiggy's recipe ;)

Cow chilli!

Ingredients
Stuff:
1lb stewing beef, chopped into 1/2" chunks
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 largish splash white wine.

Base:
1pt beef stock (I use the kallo type, they're less salty than others)
1/2pt beer (cheapass larger is fine, but something better is nice)
1 tbs ground cumin
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp worcester sauce
1 tsp thyme
1 red chili *finely* chopped

Other stuff
:
1 Tin of tomatos, chopped.

Stuff to throw away
:
Beans of any kind, they're filler, and EVIL.

What to do:

Throw all the stuff from the base section of the ingredients into a large saucepan (big enough to hold the chili once made) Stick it on medium-lowish heat.

Toss (pfft!) the beefs in a pinch of salt (sea, if possible) a few grinds of pepper and 2 tsp of oil.

Put the meat into a large frying pan and cook until brown all over, drain and throw the meats into the saucepan with the wet stuff.

Fry off the onions in a large frying pan until they're soft and a bit translucent, Add the garlic and stir around a bit, throw into the big pan full of wet. (I taste the wet at this point, I can usually judge how hot the chili will be and adjust)

Return the frying pan to the heat for a minute, then pour the wine in, stir it around a little to get all the stuff off the bottom of the pan, and pour it into the pan with the meat etc.

Bring the saucepan to a low simmer and stick a lid on, stir occasionally and cook for at least 90 minutes, longer is better though longer is fine, if it starts to really dry out, add a bit more beer/stock

Taste it at this point to check the spicing/seasoning, add more spicy if you think you need it (it'll get less spicy when you add the tomatoes, but not a lot)

Once you're bored and hungry, add the tin of tomatoes and stir into the stuff, and reduce down until lovely and thick.

Taste it before you serve, if it's dangerously hot, stir a tablespoon of cream into it and it'll take the edge off.

Serve with rice.

Last edited by Dr. kitteny berk on October 19th, 2010, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

'This' being beef chili presumably - or was it supposed to be a surprise when you get to the end?

You seem to have my chopping board, too now. Would it be that hot with just one chili?

I have some rather poor pictures of a chili I made a while ago here. I did put beans in mine, but it was a bit of a random experiement rather than a recipe. I have a better (metal) mincer now that clamps onto the worktop now, that rubbishy plastic one just had a suction pad and it kept coming off.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

FatherJack wrote:'This' being beef chili presumably - or was it supposed to be a surprise when you get to the end?

You seem to have my chopping board, too now. Would it be that hot with just one chili?

I have some rather poor pictures of a chili I made a while ago here. I did put beans in mine, but it was a bit of a random experiement rather than a recipe. I have a better (metal) mincer now that clamps onto the worktop now, that rubbishy plastic one just had a suction pad and it kept coming off.
Yep, I fucked up there :)

Spice wise, it depends, I'm not one for fresh chilis, I prefer the neutral spiciness of chemical weapons. Have had varying luck with chilis in the past, given they're a natural thing, have had some with enough heat with one, others where i've broken out the 1.5 million scoville sauce to perk it up.