Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Au revoir, Shoshanna!
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Roman Totale wrote:I really enjoyed. The guy who plays the SS Colonel is absolutely fantastic - completely stole the show.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Another round-up:

Shutter Island
Tedious and obvious

Astro Boy
2009 CG remake of the classic anime. Quite fun in a Wall-E type fashion. Nick Cage reprises his oft-seen role of crap Dad clumsily and belatedly trying to be a good one.

Survival of the Dead
Less about the zombies, more about the conflicting attitudes of the people left alive. The kid is smug and annoying, but then the other characters aren't exactly likeable. Bit disappointed by the silly ending, though I did like the very final scene.

Clive Barker's Book of Blood
Nice adaptation of the first and final stories in the short story collection that helped to launch the author's career. A lecturer/author in the occult is desperate to find some real material for her next book, so persuades a student to stay in a very haunted room in a house she is renting nearby.

Legion
Uses a battle between angels Mike and Gabe to disguise what's in my view a rather tiresome zombie defense movie based in a single location.

The Contract
Implausible tale of a father and son on a hiking trip who encounter an assassin on the run. Morgan Freeman as the assassin with a heart almost carries it, but often seems like a puppet of the narrative.

Disturbia
Voyeristic kid under house arrest spies on his neighbours and fancies one is a serial killer. Pretty dumb ending.

Let The Right One In
Best thing I've seen in a while. Weird-looking blond kid passively takes beatings from the bullies at school, until a pale girl moves in next door and persuades him to stand up for himself. She has a rather unusual relationship with the man living with her who people assume to be her Dad. Swedish with subtitles.

There's an english-language remake, called Let me In (a less misleading title in my view, though since the original title's based on a song by Morrissey I can't fault the author's taste). Normally I'd poo-poo US remakes, but as it stars The Road's Boy and Kick-Ass's Hit-Girl and as the author himself says both versions are great then who am I to judge? The story in both is indistiguishable, though miss a number of themes present in the book upon which both are based. It's worth reading the wiki on the book after watching - some things are only very obliquely hinted at in the films.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

FatherJack wrote:the original title's based on a song by Morrissey I can't fault the author's taste
I did wonder if that was the case when I first saw the name of the film. "Let Me In" just sounds clunky in comparison.

Edit:
The American version is called Let Me In because the publishers believed that the original title was too long
Yeah, they should have just called it "Bite!"
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Roman Totale wrote:I did wonder if that was the case when I first saw the name of the film. "Let Me In" just sounds clunky in comparison.
It does a bit, but "the right one" indicates there are two - I was expecting evil twins until about half-way through.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

FatherJack wrote: Shutter Island
Tedious and obvious
Tebvious!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Joose wrote:
Tebvious!
Obvedious?
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:
Obvedious?
I like it - sounds vaguely Latin.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, obvidious.

Yep, Latin is no longer a dead language. Berk has revived it.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Preoccupante è inoltre la crisi in cui versa la famiglia.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Diligo ferrum, potissimus bestia, meus amicitia es
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

Serpentes sunt damnati in plano Deus
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Alea iacta est.
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

Saját Google Fu erős, hatékony használatát teszi nyelvi eszközök
Wiggy
5pork
5pork

Post by Wiggy »

何が性交のすべてについての叩いてですか?
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

אני באמת לא יודע
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Ваша маці гучна смяяцца
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I just watched a film about clones with some Scottish cupcake and a blonde chick with big tits. I can't even remember what it was called. Terrible.

:rectum: :rectum: :rectum: :rectum: :rectum: :rectum: :dohtwo: :dohtwo: :dohtwo: :buggered:
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

RED

For the sake of full disclosure, I should probably start by pointing out that this is based on a Warren Ellis graphic novel, and I am a total Warren Ellis fanboy. Having said that, the mrs went with me, and she thought it was excellent too. Seeing as she doesnt really like fight scenes (and there are some pretty good ones) I think that says a lot. As is often the case with Ellis based stuff, the overall plot wasnt that interesting. It wasn't bad as such, but it certainly wasnt the films strong point. Besides, it was more than made up for by the interesting, richly detailed characters, the sharp dialogue, the top notch acting, and the tight direction. It starts kinda slow, but only for maybe 10-15 minutes, after which the pacing is bang on.

I'm probably going to go see it at the cinema again. That's fairly unusual. The mrs also wants to see it again. As memory serves, that's unprecedented. Go, watch it.