Lets Play!

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Re: Lets Play!

Post by Grimmie »

I hope you're all ready for the adventures of Solitaire Ghostcloud, a randomly generated Skyrim adventurer.
She's a heavy armour wearing ranger, and she's trapped in a boat!

Vid to come tonight or tomorrow.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Grimmie wrote:I hope you're all ready for the adventures of Solitaire Ghostcloud, a randomly generated Skyrim adventurer.
She's a heavy armour wearing ranger, and she's trapped in a boat!

Vid to come tonight or tomorrow.
:likesitall:
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Grimmie wrote:a heavy armour wearing ranger, and she's trapped in a boat!
Sounds interesting! I thought about doing a few brief Elder Scrolls ones behaving as a massive coward in every situation, covering a few scenes rather than an actual play through, but I'm not sure my computer could handle recording and playing.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

lmao thanks for leaving the flashlight on during the daytime and everything :)

That's wasn't a zombie gangbang btw, just bandits killing loners. I'm wrong, they are zombies. Well, I have seen bandits just fighting loners a lot.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

deject wrote:lmao thanks for leaving the flashlight on during the daytime and everything :)

That's wasn't a zombie gangbang btw, just bandits killing loners. I'm wrong, they are zombies. Well, I have seen bandits just fighting loners a lot.
I think I know a Zombie Gang Bang when I see one. Gods know I have the experience. :lol:
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Say hi to Solitaire. She's on a boat.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRirVJyzitU[/media]
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Grimmie wrote:Say hi to Solitaire. She's on a boat.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRirVJyzitU[/media]
Aah. It's like a long exhale after ridding yourself of hiccups. Lovely mellow start. More pls!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Watched Tandino's first part of Let's Finish Stalker tonight while washing up. I was really enjoying the start while you were explaining your thoughts and bits about the game, which isn't to say that the rest wasn't enjoyable - it was, but I think you were focusing on the game and it was detracting from your chatting - but rather that the beginning was excellent. It made me think about Stalker and how I'd like to play it, which is a compliment in itself. What I thought was that it would be great as a multiplayer game, with a team of 5punkers doing the missions, and if you die then you're out. Hardcore, last man standing. As a Lets Play it would be interesting to have different people commentating each episode.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Grimmie wrote:Say hi to Solitaire. She's on a boat.
I enjoyed this a lot and I think the tension in the live commentary (that I've also noted in Tandino's vids) that the end result might look a bit boring kinda adds to it in a weird sort of way, as truthfully it's not boring - we're with you on that journey and your thoughts spoken give us plenty to be entertained with even when there's not much happening in the game.

As I discovered when editing my vid, thinking "do people really want to watch me increase the prices all of the shops?" it took me as long to explain why I was doing it as to do it, so to cut it out would have removed an essential part. Vids can't - or rather shouldn't be over-edited to be white-knuckle action all the way through, as the result of trying to achieve that would just be white-noise unwatchable intensity - which is a thing a lot of vids do and work for things like speedruns, but I like that ours so far present a more chilled-out, introspective feel.

I was a tiny bit disappointed with the edit at the end, as the escape was suddenly there, rather than you finding it. I get that you were stuck and didn't want to bore us going over the same places, but I'd have liked to have seen a little backtrack to show us where the escape was relative to the places you'd been bumbling around in previously, so we could watch it again and be like "not that way, it's right there!"

I also found myself thinking "he's right next to Kitty and her dark bros in their hideout" and wishing you'd pay us a visit, which is evidence of how compelling and involved I found it to watch, if not such a great positive indicator of my own grip on reality.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Glad you enjoyed, FJ!

I edited out a few inventory management scenes in the next one, but kept in the ones that made a big difference.

Solitaire's on dry land and she's thirsty for her essential equipment. And mead.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBi7uXN26sc[/media]
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Definitely enjoying this so far Grimmie, love how much thought you've put into Solitaire's background and motivations. The odd talk of rolling die has me thinking of this - The Dice Man - If you're not familiar, it's a book about a psychiatrist who decides to start making life decisions based on the outcome of dice rolls - one of my favourites. I like the idea of Solitaire being sympathetic to the more unfavoured races of skyrim like the Khajit and the Argonians. Maybe this is her motivation for being lawful evil. kind of a Robin Hood for the persecuted races (although I'd guess this would make her more Lawful good). How that would affect her opinion of bandits, I don't know. Likely I'm talking bollocks.

Anyway, STALKER Part 6 is up!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srpfCl7TUHg[/media]
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

I'm enjoying these, although I've found I have to play a lot myself in order to avoid spoilers!

In my game yesterday though I found
Spoiler:
a *very* angry dwarf monk type chap who was whispering threatening things as I walked into his room and I nearly shat myself when he jumped out at me
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Aww, you mentioned you were gonna show us a blowout from a window, any chance we can see that some time soon?

Really enjoying the Stalker videos, it's a game I've always been interested in but never played.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

I did didn't I? I think one of the recent loots I found allows me to stay out during a blowout so I'll definitely do this soon. Plenty of game left I think anyway, given I'm not yet out of the starting area.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

tandino wrote:I did didn't I? I think one of the recent loots I found allows me to stay out during a blowout so I'll definitely do this soon. Plenty of game left I think anyway, given I'm not yet out of the starting area.
Yeah there's absolutely a way to survive a blowout, though there is a big downside to doing it. It's worth doing just to experience though.

EDIT: Great video by the way. The Poltergeist part was pretty great, watching you figure out how it works is pretty interesting.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

deject wrote:EDIT: Great video by the way. The Poltergeist part was pretty great, watching you figure out how it works is pretty interesting.
Indeed it was. They're also very killable though that one is a hard bugger. Grenades are dead handy!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Right, so I've been trying for a while to make red orchestra interesting enough to potential viewers, but I'm not having a lot of success thus far. So I went looking for something that could prove to be more interesting and found this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/204080/
It might something four of us could play for about half an hour and get confused about which in turn might get us a funny video. It's currently on sale (till the 24th) and can be bought in a four pack. I think it's about a fiver so probably worth a shot. What say you?

You can download a demo but there's not a lot to it and you don't get controller support which is a bit of a bummer.
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

I has it Mr J if you want to record a Frigaemes of me royally fucking it up. :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Watched FJ's Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 part 1 tonight, heard most of it (Mrs Pants decided to put the washing machine on and it went into noisy-as-fuck mode about 20 seconds in). I think I heard more of your voice in that video than I have in the previous eight years I've known you. I'm impressed at how you managed to keep a better pace of commentary than the action games so far, although that might be because less of your concentration is being spent on trying to avoid getting shot. Very witty it was too, especially your apparent vendetta against sick. There was a slightly odd disconnect between you and the game though. Did you say you recorded the voice afterwards? If not that it might just have been because of the slower pace of the game making it less reactive to what was going on and more descriptive. Either way, very enjoyable.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Thanks, glad you liked it, I'm off work for a week now, so plan to record a few more while I'm more chilled out. Work has been a bit hectic and it's been hard even in the evenings to relax and I felt grumpiness was showing in my voice when I've tried to do new ones.

I did re-record the voice after (as I'd messed it up the first time, drowned out by game audio) and it's interesting you said it sounded disconnected, I'll have to try doing some live stuff and seeing how it compares. As talking was all I was doing I felt I should fill the space, so when playing as well there might be less - but I did like being able to concentrate on just talking, even though sort-of-pretending to react to things felt a bit like cheating.

That probably is the most you've heard my voice, the only bash we met at was my first ever one, Beardbash which was also my first ever bearding so I was mostly asking Joose and Pete to explain stuff. I always feel a bit uncomfortable with the almost-half-duplex nature of TS (ie: you have to stop talking to hear the reaction) and as I like to ramble on like I do in my posts I feel a bit self-conscious that I've held the mic too long and tend to tail off part-way through an idea. There's still no susbtitute for face-to-face feedback when having a conversation, but oddly recording the vid felt much less like a "performance" than talking on TS, where I usually stick to one-liners.