Lets Play!

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Re: Lets Play!

Post by tandino »

FatherJack wrote:At first I cringed at hearing my own voice, but after a dozen or so listens while editing it just sounded like Some Bloke talking and could concentrate on the content without worrying about the overly breathy mic 'technique', background computer hum and all-over-the-place accent*.

I don't consider myself a showman and I'm not posting this as some sort of preview to the vid to generate hype, I'm trying to document my first-time experience of making a voiced-over video in the hopes that my experience of doing so, overcoming my retiscence in the first place, dealing with the technicalities and actually getting to the stage where I'm thinking "yeah, I'm okay if someone else was to actually see that" will inspire more of us to have a go.
Exactly this - I have in the past really disliked the sound of my own voice but that was soon remedied after my first video. Watching your vid now FJ and definitely enjoying it. Nailed the quality too. I've always loved watching games being played as much as playing them and I enjoyed Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 too. I look forward to watching your reactions when things start to go wrong...
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSbf3sZxJjs[/media]

Part 3 of my highest quality stalkering playings! Today we go on a mission for tools, get sidetracked, listen to my cat meow, hide in caves and walk on pipes. Fuckin' pipes.

Part 4 coming Friday. As usual, please like, share and comment. I don't think part 3 is as interesting as the others, but part 4 picks up the pace a little. I'm also getting a bit better at the shoot shoot and edit edit, which is nice.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

:clap:
I was wondering where abouts in the cave the kittens were and if they were going to turn out to be slavering monsters
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

OMG USE THE FLASHLIGHT
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

deject wrote:OMG USE THE FLASHLIGHT TV MISSILES
Fix'd
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

lmao

I suspect tandino has his gamma levels really high because I can't see shit in the video but he's able to navigate just fine in pitch blackness.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Youtube's notorious for making videos darker :(
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

deject wrote:OMG USE THE FLASHLIGHT
Don't worry Deej, there's lots of flashlight usage in part 4!

Massive titles aside, do we think the darkness is enough of a problem to let YouTube fix the video with there magic lighting fuckerupper wand? Or for me to artificially brighten it up post-recording. It's always looked fine to me prior to YouTube fucking it up,
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

tandino wrote:

Massive titles aside, do we think the darkness is enough of a problem to let YouTube fix the video with there magic lighting fuckerupper wand? Or for me to artificially brighten it up post-recording. It's always looked fine to me prior to YouTube fucking it up,
I wouldn't use youtube's autofix thing because it'll probably ruin everything else. It's not really a big deal at all, I'm just sperging a bit. The video is quite good. :likesitall:
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

deject wrote:
tandino wrote:

I wouldn't use youtube's autofix thing because it'll probably ruin everything else. It's not really a big deal at all, I'm just sperging a bit. The video is quite good. :likesitall:
When I edit Part 4 I'll try and bump up the gamma a bit, see if that makes much difference. It's a tough trade off - I think the lighting adds a lot to the overall atmosphere of the game, but obviously I want it to look its best, should more people end up seeing it. Cheers for the feedback though, I jest, but it's all appreciated :brains: .
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

tandino wrote:When I edit Part 4 I'll try and bump up the gamma a bit, see if that makes much difference. It's a tough trade off - I think the lighting adds a lot to the overall atmosphere of the game, but obviously I want it to look its best, should more people end up seeing it. Cheers for the feedback though, I jest, but it's all appreciated :brains: .
I thought the light levels were fine, certainly didn't give me any trouble. And you seem to be getting into the swing of Lets Playing, sounding more confident, etc. I'm happy to watch someone play this great game.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Since no one gave FJ some feedback, I will:
I think it's actually quite good, you might need to invest in a better microphone at some point in the future (same here though) but I quite liked the tour and the behind the scenes footage of FJ world, and chuckled at the "why is there vomit everywhere bit".

Keep up the good work gents!
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Moar STALKING! Featuring Snorks, Chuck Berry, my TORCH and road safety tips.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTm2ZQZ3bEI[/media]

Enjoy, I am!
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Mr. Johnson wrote:Since no one gave FJ some feedback, I will:
I think it's actually quite good, you might need to invest in a better microphone at some point in the future (same here though) but I quite liked the tour and the behind the scenes footage of FJ world, and chuckled at the "why is there vomit everywhere bit".

Thanks, Mr J - I still need to rerecord the audio for the second part, so I'll try a different mic - my Dad has access to some proper ones I might be able to borrow just for this rather than using my headset ones.

There's a fair bit of me waiting around in the second one, so I must remember to actually do the speeding-up this time, but then that might make it a little short, so I probably need to use some more footage, perhaps me dicking around at the end, or use some of my 100 failed attempts to make a coaster exciting enough without it being fatal.

I shall watch the Stalker ones tonight, liking them a lot so far.
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

FatherJack wrote:
Mr. Johnson wrote:Since no one gave FJ some feedback, I will:

Thanks, Mr J - I still need to rerecord the audio for the second part, so I'll try a different mic - my Dad has access to some proper ones I might be able to borrow just for this rather than using my headset ones.

There's a fair bit of me waiting around in the second one, so I must remember to actually do the speeding-up this time, but then that might make it a little short, so I probably need to use some more footage, perhaps me dicking around at the end, or use some of my 100 failed attempts to make a coaster exciting enough without it being fatal.

I shall watch the Stalker ones tonight, liking them a lot so far.
Just FYI, Sips of Yogscast has just done an evening with Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 here. Might be worth a look for inspiration - Sips' videos are usually of a pretty high standard! I'm looking forward to your next one, I anticipate it to be very hangover friendly viewing!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've resolved to start watching these while I'm doing the washing up at the weekends. Today I got through MJ's Dino and Grimmie's Unreal II part 1.

MJ: I enjoyed the disaster and your sarcastic comments about the game. I had a few genuine lols, and everything looked fine technical-wise (I could see and hear what you wanted me to). I had no clue what the game was about or why you were doing it though, so maybe you could fill the time between comedy outcries by talking about the game.

Grimie: I didn't expect to enjoy watching this purely because I remember playing Unreal II back in the day, and I don't think I even got as far as this video before I got bored and gave up. However, the sarcastic commentary on the now-tired FPS tropes had me chuckling along at regular intervals and wanting to join in with my own observations.

Good stuff so far gents, I'm glad I made time to watch them :likesitall:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Watched Unreal 2 parts 2 & 3 while cooking tea. Good pacing, interesting and funny, and I love the little Grimmie who popped up and said "OMG war-cows." More of him please. The only constructive criticism I can think of is to tail the commentary with a closing statement.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Right, after a couple of false starts here, I definitely think that setting a timer on how long you're going to record is a very good thing. I've got my setup figured out for the most part so now that I have a couple dry runs in I should be better equipped to do it for real.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Dog Pants wrote:MJ: I enjoyed the disaster and your sarcastic comments about the game. I had a few genuine lols, and everything looked fine technical-wise (I could see and hear what you wanted me to). I had no clue what the game was about or why you were doing it though, so maybe you could fill the time between comedy outcries by talking about the game.
Funny you should say that, I recorded another playthrough the next day where I tried out all the different classes and gave some background information but I seem to have deleted the footage (I think something went wrong soundwise).
tandino
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by tandino »

Part 5! "To absent friends" and a complete disrespect for a zombie gang bang.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNhEdIoVyR4[/media]

Enjoy!