Two Minutes Hate

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Re: Two Minutes Hate

Post by Roman Totale »

I was told to stop reading it again as it was making me angry and giving me chest pains. Normally I quite like getting riled about things, especially when you can feel morally superior, but the Mail is just downright nasty. For me what started out as an amusing past time (lol, look at what the crazies have written now), turned into a burning obsession that had me frothing indignantly at the mouth every time I looked at an article.

I'm now refusing to read anything about them, even 3rd party articles that will annoy me. It feels good not to be so angry (though I now need to eat more as rage was my main source of sustenance).
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I can't see the Mail as anything other than satire of itself. I'm convinced the articles they write are simply there to provoke a reaction of incredulity, or outrage, reckoning either of those are better than no reaction. But then I hear people quoting ill-informed statements that sound as if they saw them in the Mail and thought that that meant they were true and I wonder if life isn't all just some colossal jest on the Creator's part and it's only me that's getting the joke.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

If it was satire I could handle it, but the horrible truth is that they're catering to a demand. The only truly amusing thing about it is that I reckon 50% of its reader base is made up of people who hate it but want to hate it up close.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I wonder if it would be possible to fit in a "Reading Daily Mail gives you cancer" inside the letters section of the Daily Mail itself.
eRabbit
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by eRabbit »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19842704

Read that and try not to rage. Yet more of the fucking idiotic view that what you play in a game defines who you are in life.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Aside from the gaming thing, it strikes me that American politicians are vicious, nasty bastards. I couldn't vote for anyone who used hate campaigns like that.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

My reaction to that was to laugh. And I think the only reasonable reaction is to find it ridiculous and dismiss it. Unless they start discussing the entertainment media that all politicians consume, films, books, TV, music, etc.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

Ladan Cockshut
:lol:
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Dog Pants wrote:Aside from the gaming thing, it strikes me that American politicians are vicious, nasty bastards. I couldn't vote for anyone who used hate campaigns like that.
This. It absolutely galls me that instead of offering counter points to any arguments, they just go straight for the character assassination.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

It took longer than expected really. But as we all probably predicted, the media are blaming videogames for the Newton massacre. As bad a piece of journalism as one would expect from the Sun. I expect the Mail is probably running one too.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Paging Roman! Are you still reading the Mail and pretending to get angry at the articles?
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Dog Pants wrote:It took longer than expected really. But as we all probably predicted, the media are blaming videogames for the Newton massacre. As bad a piece of journalism as one would expect from the Sun. I expect the Mail is probably running one too.
I'm beginning to suspect that's become a standing joke in the tabloid press. Oh, a shooting? Blame video games! Which is weird, cos computer games have been around long enough now that most middle aged journos probably played them as teenagers.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

HereComesPete wrote:Paging Roman! Are you still reading the Mail and pretending to get angry at the articles?
Not looked at it for months and months, and I feel so much better for it. Instead I'll just post this again as all the major news outlets seem to do the exact opposite:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4[/media]
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Wait, was that right? Man Utd 1 Liverpool 4?
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Haha! I noticed that when I watched it again the other day. Well, it is a tragic video after all
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHzTlkAGNIE[/media]

Notice how he says "media violence", yet the story is spun as only games. I'll accept that media violence in general could contribute to violent tendencies in those with mental health problems. Perhaps the US should treat violence in media in the same conservative manner as they do sexual content.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

All mass murdering fuckheads enjoy video games.
Therefore all video game players are mass murdering fuckheads.
Flawless logic, Mr Aristotle

It's what philosophical logic calls an informal fallacy, for those who might be vaguely interested
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

friznit wrote:All mass murdering fuckheads enjoy video games.

It's what philosophical logic calls an informal fallacy, for those who might be vaguely interested
I feel I really need to revisit my discrete maths teaching I so enjoyed at college, which in sensible, calm equations cruelly expose this and more complex tangles as massively-bullshit suppositions.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

friznit wrote:All mass murdering fuckheads enjoy video games.

Aristotle's organ, pffftt.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Been a while since I've had to dust off this thread. That's a good thing, right? Well trust the Daily Mail to focus on the non-issues:
Note, if you dare to read, that they only really mention games in the article to point out that they're violent. And the picture shows him watching American Football (which clearly isn't violent at all).