Post by stroudy1 »

LOL :lol:
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

M4niachicken wrote: MEEEEEEEEEEE-*mute*
:lol:

*ahem* Anywho, I thought the idea of the site costing £300 was so that 5punk would go to a person willing to put time and effort into running 5punk (as the money would show that the said buyer would be 100% interested in 5punk), rather then being sold for commercial use. Which, in all honesty, wouldn't work. Hard.

It's also better then just going "Okay, here's the keys to 5punk everyone. Decide who's going be The overall LEADERERER and I'll see you next Tuesday". Because to be honest, herding kittens isn't a strong enough statement for us.

That's my two cents anyway.
stroudy1
Squirrel
Squirrel

Post by stroudy1 »

spot on! i think the whole point is being lost!
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

WOW

:above: pfft

Ahem W O W

Ok, now that's out the way (Or is it WEY is out the way?!?!?!?!?!?)

Sorry, I digress... I don't see the problem as being 5punk's continuing or dying as a result of 1 or several 'leaders' i see it as 1 person spending a lot (£300 is a lot to anyone here) for nothing, nothing as in no return for a lump sum investment

I think Joose summed it up right, we are a unique community, more unique then a generic and more successful forum and as such anyone willing to invest in a money making site will most likely be disappointed, I'm sure you started this as a hobby and for fun but also with a view to making some cash (nothing wrong with that, no disrespect intended at all) but in deciding to leave you must know that the potential for making profit out of 5punk is very minimal (again no bad thing, and I don't mean you intended to exploit members at all, most of us have said we don't mind advertising on the site)

I think wanting 1 person to pay £300 for sole ownership wont happen, I know where you're coming from and I don't think it's taking the piss or unreasonable, I just don't think any long time 5punker would be up for it, and no non-5punker would pay that into a community unknown to them.

I'm genuinely sorry you're leaving, very much so, the last time you posted this kinda thing it really was an April fool which I saw through in a second, but this is very sad :(

I'd like to say again that I don't think your asking for this amount of money is bad or a piss take of 5punk, or an exploitation, I just don't think it's the right way to hand 5punk over.

You said that other forums didn't work without one owner, does anyone else think that 5punk can be the exception to the rule?

Oh and I have available this for free on xappy.com if it helps:

"subdomains/access accounts, around 40gig disk free and 800gig month bandwidth"

If 5punk.co.uk could be rerouted.. dunno how this stuff works
Last edited by mrbobbins on May 2nd, 2007, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

mrbobbins wrote:You said that other forums didn't work without one owner, does anyone else think that 5punk can be the exception to the rule?
Yeah, I think it could be cause we're not in it for anything else then spazzing.

We would need to make decisions from time to time; but that could be done through suggestions and voting.

We'd need a code monkey: Stoat, check! :lol:

and various other shiz.

I also have to say that £300 is a lot but I think the right approach was taken, just too high of an amount for games players like us (which really isn't nothing then a hobby, cause we're shit, remember?!) to pay.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

TezzRexx wrote: It's also better then just going "Okay, here's the keys to 5punk everyone. Decide who's going be The overall LEADERERER and I'll see you next Tuesday".
Buying power = not so good. What i meant earlier was that generally, if theres no financial reasons involved or anything, people willing to pay money to be in a position of power do so because they want the POWAR, not because they want to do a good job. We want someone who would do a good job.

EDIT: also, everything bobbins said, especially the "sorry you are going" bit. Make sure you do as you said, and dont go *totally*. That would make the little 5punkers cry.

You must now obey, for I have spoken :)
Last edited by Joose on May 2nd, 2007, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

mrbobbins wrote:I think wanting 1 person to pay £300 for sole ownership wont happen, I know where you're coming from and I don't think it's taking the piss or unreasonable, I just don't think any long time 5punker would be up for it, and no non-5punker would pay that into a community unknown to them.
Have already discussed this with WEY. I'm more than happy to stump up the cash* to keep this place going, the only problem is that I'm fucking clueless when it comes to webby stuff. If I did buy WEY out (oooh very professional sounding) I'd have no problem handing the reigns to someone capable of doing the super web codez stuff.

* All 300+ quid
Last edited by Chickenz on May 2nd, 2007, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Joose wrote: Buying power = not so good. What i meant earlier was that generally, if theres no financial reasons involved or anything, people willing to pay money to be in a position of power do so because they want the POWAR, not because they want to do a good job. We want someone who would do a good job.
Yeah, that is a good point. It's just going to be hard to make sure we do pick the right person for the job.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

M4niachicken wrote:MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Joose wrote:People willing to pay money to be in a position of power do so because they want the POWAR, not because they want to do a good job
;)
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

I'll lay my cards on the table a bit more...

I had absolutely no fucking clue about selling websites, or the best way to go about it. What I do know is that multiple people running this site, with no overall owner is NOT going to work.

I didn't want to just submit a poll stating "who should run 5punk", as that's just bollocks and wouldn't be of any use whatsoever.

As for the money side of things, like I said, I'd like to get "something" out of it after all these years, which I think is pretty fair narf, and after several days looking at websites for sale, £300 is way below what other sites advertise at with the same bandwidth/page views....

However, I also understand that 5punk is a very different baby than most gaming forums and that's why I made the site a much lower price.

It's not a question of me not being able to afford it, as 5punkers have covered the cost of hosting next year themselves, it's the time it takes up in my life, that I just cannot do any more.

There is no right or wrong way to do this sort of thing, and I have always just thrown ideas out there into 5punk, and people come back with comments/suggestions/arguments on the subject, and then sometimes the ideas change, and other times they do not.

Can any of you honestly say that "in my position" you would have known exactly how to handle this awkward step and keep every one of the 5punkers happy?

Please, if you have any feelings on the subject, voice them to me personally or on this thread, I don't want to upset anyone and part of my leaving is that I really do have the 5punkers best interest at heart.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

Woo Elephant Yeah wrote:
Can any of you honestly say that "in my position" you would have known exactly how to handle this awkward step and keep every one of the 5punkers happy?
Send us all baskets of muffins and kittinz?
Fear
Zombie
Zombie

Post by Fear »

I always considered the next-of-kin of 5punk.co.uk to be stoat, so I guess if I were Wey I would give the site to Stoat.

I think it would be realistic to sell the site for £300 if it had commercial interests or opportunities, but really there is no value in the domain, the value is in the 50 or so active member base. You can't sell members at the end of the day, because if you try they will no longer be members.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

i understand why WEY wants £300 minimum (the time and effort put in, past expenditures and sentimental value etc) for the site clearly, i just dont see many people that everyone else would agree are suitable for the job of site owner (no offense to anyone). i think if everyone agrees on a suitable person to take the wheel and the people who can, if they want to, donate some money to WEY, and see how much gets pooled together, when WEY is happy with the amount he can then send the information that the new site owner would need to said person.

but thats just what i think, its up to WEY how he wants to do it
Hehulk
KHAAAN!
KHAAAN!

Post by Hehulk »

M4niachicken wrote:Send us all baskets of muffins and kittinz?
Sorry, but caek > muffins

I'm aware of the similarity between the two, but caeks are usually much bigger.
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Hehulk wrote:
Sorry, but caek > muffins

I'm aware of the similarity between the two, but caeks are usually much bigger.
But don't traditionally come in baskets, Muffins however are widely available n baskets.

As are kittins

randomgazz
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by randomgazz »

This thread makes me sad :( Thanks WEY, I've enjoyed my time on the site. Now it seems fairly obvious we are more than capable of of raising £x to buy the site, but nobody sofar as I know has said they would be willing to run it afterwards. Anyone up for it?
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

randomgazz wrote:we are more than capable of of raising £x to buy the site, but nobody sofar as I know has said they would be willing to run it afterwards. Anyone up for it?
There's the difference between someone running it on 5punkers behalf, and therefore being held accountable and having more responsibility

and

someone buying outright and having responsibility for only their investment.

In the past WEY did whatever he wanted, because it was his site, wether we agreed or not it was his decision, so what If I don't like the new banner image? or if a forum gets removed/created?, it's WEY's to do with as he chooses,

I can see the potential problems with a democratically elected publicly funded 'leader'
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Other problem in all of this is that anyone who does become owner/leader will probably feel like they're babysitting WEY's website, rather than running their own website.

so will be much less likely to push the place forwards.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

This whole topic is surprising, no, shocking even. I'm not 100% sure why WEY would want to sell up, but i feel we cannot let that rip the place apart.

I think 5punk as it is does work well, and as far as possible it really should not change much. Yes, things here and there need to be updated now and again, but the beauty of this site is the members, and that is what makes it work so well, especially the admin team, who really do a great job.

Well anyway, i suppose what i am trying to say is that i would, if need be, buy it just to keep the site exactly as it is. If 5punk evolution can continue also, then thats even better. I certainly have the time at the moment to lend a hand, and hopefully enough know-how.

I agree that a democratic 5punk is going to be difficult to organise. Herding disabled cats etc. I would say more of a Comnunst style 5punk may be the answer. A 5punk that everybody contributes to. Made up of the members, power to the people and all that. The adming & mod team can make decisions on behalf of all members, with everybodies best intrests at heart. Lets make it work better than russia did.

What say you comrade 5punkers?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

ProfHawking wrote:I agree that a democratic 5punk is going to be difficult to organise. Herding disabled cats etc. I would say more of a Comnunst style 5punk may be the answer. A 5punk that everybody contributes to. Made up of the members, power to the people and all that. The adming & mod team can make decisions on behalf of all members, with everybodies best intrests at heart. Lets make it work better than russia did.

What say you comrade 5punkers?
I say DA COMRADE! I can see what people are saying about the problems of not having one clear leader, but I think most of the decisions that a community needs to have made by a leader have already been made. WEY has already created a thriving community, with the loose rules of "dont be a cupcake" and "dont take it too seriously" and "KITTINS!" and suchlike. All the new owner would need to do is to add things that keep the place fresh, and these ideas have, in the past, largely come from members. I remember the creation of things like the disco board, the 5cheduler, making an MMO section and the like. It all went along the lines of:

1)member suggests it
2)we have a voting thread
3)stoat makes it go tiem.

I dont see a problem with still doing that, only more so.

Its not like the place is without leaders anyway, even if WEY were to mysteriously disappear right now. The current mods do an awesome job of keeping everyone from going too out there, and the speed we recovered from total haxxings proves we can handle disasters.