Help with XFire

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Help with XFire

Post by Dog Pants »

Could anyone offer any suggestions as to why XFire is losing its connection to the server while I'm in a game? Or, more importantly, how to stop it. I'm hardly getting any time logged because it drops after a couple of minutes.

Cheers
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

Is it any game, or a particular game?
It's odd behavior in any case. Try disabling In-Game Messaging (Options > Chat), I think that can cause problems for some people.

Other than that I think a trip to the xfire forums would probably be useful- it can't just be you with this problem.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I tried it with Counterstrike Source and Battlefield Vietnam so far and it happens with both, but I've had it open for a while out of game and it hasn't done it yet. I already had messaging disabled after trying to fix a lag problem the other day.

I'll have a hop over to the xfire forums though, thanks for the suggestion.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

This sounds like a weird one, and it might be worth redownloading and installing the latest version.

Do you have any software/hardware firewalls?

The thing to do is to definitely disable messaging in game, however it sounds like you've done this already.

Failing that, I'm really stumped, as Xfire, for all it's little quirky'ness does tend to be very stable, and in general runs quite well, and is very non intrusive.

Let us know how you get on with it, and it also might be worth rescanning for new games as well, just incase it's got itself muddled up in some strange way.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Okay. I've re-installed Xfire and done another search for games, which had no real problems except that I've re-installed Windows since installing HL2 so there's probably no registry settings for it. It seemed to handle this okay though. I replaced the entry in ZoneAlarm in case it was my firewall, and I also tried a few things from the tech forum on the Xfire website.
It seems to be a fairly common problem and, after a process of elimination, would now seem to be down to my puny CPU (Athlon 1700 Palomino) not having enough time during heavy use to respond to Xfire's 'heartbeat' and so the server is dropping the connection. So basically I appear to be boned.

Gives me an excuse to upgrade to a PCI express setup I suppose.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Update:

I'm not one to leave a problem unsolved so I had another look. I put an exception for cs.xfire.com into zonealarm and that seems to have fixed it. Damn sight cheaper than upgrading too :)
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Huzzah!

I only use the built in Firewall with XP SP2, which is probably why I've not experienced problems with it.
Shame though, you could still do with an upgrade :P

*celebrates*

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I do need to change firewalls. I think ZoneAlarm's buggering up CS:S because I was spazzing all night last night on the Bukkake server. Unfortunately when I dropped it to see if anything changed I got invaded by worms so now I have to get rid of them all before tonight's game.

\Firewall blog
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

it only takes 4 minutes for your PC to become a zombie in some script kiddie's army.