Computeach Course

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Good luck. You seem to have a pretty decent level of knowledge to begin with so you're off to a good start. It might not be useful, but the military is in the process of going over to civilian IT at the moment, so there may be a few job openings there with Fujitsu Siemens.
Guybrush
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Guybrush »

Desktop support is a good place to start - gives you exposure to a lot of stuff!

I started in as a call centre drone after uni and less than a year later had moved to 2nd line cos I showed (or at least faked convincingly ;)) ability and a willingness to learn.

Now I run a small desktop team and am looking to see where to move to next.

narf though I'd save the 5k and get an entry level position and work up from there....
redrum217uk
Kitten
Kitten

Post by redrum217uk »

Well I had the computeach guy come out and see me. Told me all about the course ect it does actually sound really good. I haven't signed up at anything yet, I'm just keeping my options open.

The idea is I will do a MCSA and it costs £4750 they start you off on the very basic IC3 then onto a CompTIA A+ something or other. At this point they can and would like to help you into a job so you can get experience while doing the rest they say I could be up to this point in about 7 months. I then do onto MCDST and finally MCSA. So during the 2.5 year course I should be employed in IT during the most of it. They help you find a job aw well.

He was a realy nice chap he didn't try convince me into doing it he just said this is what u can do and its totally up to me. Although it is distance learning I do have to go to Birmingham a few times to go the handson stuff and exams.

So what do you guys think?
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

Guy coming to your house telling you it's really great but no pressure to buy

Sounds like classic door to door salesman tactics to me, and that is a hell of a lot of money to pay out

I remain sceptical

/doesn't work in I.T.
Guybrush
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Guybrush »

Of course getting an entry level job and getting hte firm to pay for the courses also works ;)
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Guybrush wrote:Of course getting an entry level job and getting hte firm to pay for the courses also works ;)
:above: this

It's a lot of money. They only promise to help you find work, not guarantee it.

Just my view, but (IT related) job first. Then try to get company to pay for training. If they won't, at least you have an income to pay for training. Either way, you're more employable in a better job with relevant experience.

Unless you have the cash to hand, and don't want/need to work for a while and just want to study, I can't see how it adds up.
redrum217uk
Kitten
Kitten

Post by redrum217uk »

Well I can afford it as I am working now, I have looked for entry level IT jobs but can't find any all need the basic qualifications like A+ ect

If I could get a job that would pay for it that would be much better though! Its just looking for one!

:)
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Tricky. You don't want to give up a job to get a lower-paid IT one just for the experience, but it's hard to get a better-paid IT one without the experience.

Perhaps, if you feel you can afford it, doing the course anyway isn't a bad idea, but finding part-time or even (gasp) voluntary work in a relavant area at the same time might work.

I'm only speaking as someone who's been responsible for hiring people in the past, and we pretty much never hired anyone without experience. I know it sucks, and it's a vicious circle, but unfortunately, from my experience, that seems to be how it is.

Give applying for decently-paid jobs a go anyway, the entry qualifications aren't always set in stone. Sometimes they will have practical "fix this busted PC" tests or gauge your enthusiasm or general interest in what's new in IT and they can sometimes count for more. I got my first big break at a place that demanded a degree - I said I was studying for a OU one, but what clinched it was that I aced the online quiz thing and offered to help them fix the printer when at the end it didn't print out properly.

Personally, I'd rather employ someone who fixes all their mates PCs and can give me an opinion on what the next big internet craze will be than someone with a bulging sack of certificates - but I'm not every employer.
Guybrush
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Guybrush »

I didn't have half the stuff they were asking for in my job description, lol! I never thought I had a hope in hell narf but here I am 18 months later....
redrum217uk
Kitten
Kitten

Post by redrum217uk »

Well i don't mind taking a pay cut im only on 16k at and still living at home so its not that big of a deal and i can work my way up. Ill have a think about it thanks for the advice again and more is welcome :)