Dead Rising

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Puggers
Kitten
Kitten

Dead Rising

Post by Puggers »

The funniest and most inventive zombie hack and slash and slash and hack game I've ever played. It is by the same people as made the Resident Evil series (Capcom) and is fundamentally the same, just minus the infuriating camera angles. You are also given a choice as to whether you run round trying to solve shit, loping the head off zombies or being an SNPG and hiding in a 'safe room'. The most annoying thing about the game so far (I'm only half-way through the game so far) is the intelligence of the people you are trying to save. And the damn convicts in the Hummer.

I have heard that there is a much enjoyable online version, but been as I refuse to (read can't) fork out £30 for the pleasure of it, I was wondering how it plays and whether it is worth the bother?

:mrh?:

Opinion: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starhalf:
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I played it in singleplayer for a bit on Sunday and found it quite fun, but the aiming with a gun controls were infuriatingly the wrong way round, and changing the options didn't seem to have any effect. Also the direction you face when switching to it seemed to have little to do with the config, either.

The initial portion of the mall which is open to you is quite small, while having a nice variety of interesting weapons, only a few are very useful and only the pistols which are in very short supply are any help against the first boss. The lack of ammo plus the annoying controls made this much harder than it had any right to be, and when the convicts appeared all fun evaporated into frustration.

The fun comes from discovering the fun ways to use the various weapons, but having to restart the game from the beginning to attain time-specfic targets makes it a bit repetetive. There are always plenty of victims around to test out your latest pieces of weaponry, though.

Worst though, is the text - it's so small it's virtually impossible to read before it has disappeared off the screen, perhaps it is okay on an HD TV but I know few people who have that luxury.

It's good in the ways I expected it to be though, and with perhaps a little perserverance or cheating to open up the rest of the mall and dispatch the convicts could entertain for a while.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

OK first and foremost as an owner of an HDTV yes father jack it does make all the difference, i played it briefly on a standard crt tv and couldnt read a thing.

Ah the convicts yes they are bloody annoying and trying to save sophie is bloody annoying but they can be beaten. Leave the safe room, head through the warehouse and out into the mall. Then head towards the coffee shop on the first floor in paradise plaza but stop midway on the stairs and turn around, you should now be facing a BLUE semi circle hanging from the wall, jump to it and you should grab hold now follow it round to the end and you willl find an UZI with 100 rounds, just use that on the convicts (gunner first).

Once there dead take the HEAVY MACHINE GUN but keep it till you get the call about the out of control ride. Start the roller coaster mission (the crazed clown) kill him and take his chainsaw, then go to the book store on the same floor and pick up the book on psychopaths, once collected head to the paradise plaza bookstore and get the books on fun items and construction items, tah dah you now have a chainsaw that will kill about 450/500 zombies without breaking plus they respawn so its possible to carry 2 or 3 as needed

DRAG OVER THE ABOVE FOR HINTS AND TIPS

Sorry bout the above but it made it much easier for me second time round, i still havent got outta the mall tho which is pissing me off. The game is fantastic though and really does show off the performance of the 360.
Duke of Ted
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Duke of Ted »

thanks for the tips chicken! :) those convicts are gonna pay (blood for blood and by the gallon)

This is a fantastic game once you get over the initial frustration of the stupidity of the other survivors and the crappy aiming controls.
The funniest moment for me so far has to be: "CLEAN UP ON AISLE 6!" :lol: