Server List, um right... it's not there...

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

batty
Mouse
Mouse

Server List, um right... it's not there...

Post by batty »

Now, call me crazy but i thought under the server tab on the lovely front page of 5punk, there was a list of different gaming servers with stats and players playing etc..

But theres not, was there?

If there was I was going to ask how it was done? I have a CS:S server and wondered if there was a mod out there which ftp's that info out? Anyone know? Anyone at all?
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I've found a note on my desk with a reply from berk...erm, it says "No, fuck off. cupcake."
batty
Mouse
Mouse

Post by batty »

friznit wrote:I've found a note on my desk with a reply from berk...erm, it says "No, fuck off. cupcake."
Cool, i'll type that into google and see what it comes up with...
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

there's a few sites that do such things.

http://www.serverspy.net/site/monitor/ and http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?order=players for example.

they don't use ftp, they probe the server for information, the same way xfire and suchlike does, then parses it into a lovely webdoohdad.

edit: also there's the option of using manimods stats website uploading disco majico bangbang doodah, but i have no experience with that. (it's just the in game ranking, rather than the current player status and such)
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:there's a few sites that do such things.

http://www.serverspy.net/site/monitor/ and http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?order=players for example.

they don't use ftp, they probe the server for information, the same way xfire and suchlike does, then parses it into a lovely webdoohdad.
This :above:

I changed it because I felt it was overkill for what we need at 5punk, plus now there's a lot less "scrolling".

They tend to be advertising driven, especially serverspy.net, but the game-monitor.com is less advertising based, as it just advertises it's own site, but it's less pretty than serverspy.net.

Game-monitor.com doesn't require you to sign up, whereas you need a login to use serverspy.net.

You may find that there are mods out there for forums (assuming you have one) that can do similar things for CSS as it's so popular.

What I could do with is somebody making some funky bukkake/5punk based icons for adding the server to xfire favourite list, and joining the server through xfire too.

Any takers?
batty
Mouse
Mouse

Post by batty »

Woo Elephant Yeah wrote: What I could do with is somebody making some funky bukkake/5punk based icons for adding the server to xfire favourite list, and joining the server through xfire too.

Any takers?
A bukkake/5puny what?

Ended up using phycostats, the guys i was playing about with this stuff wanted more, more more!

http://css.slash-clan.co.uk/stats/clan.php?id=8
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Quite a clever little stats program there :likesitall:
Bob47
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer

Post by Bob47 »

thats pretty cool
batty
Mouse
Mouse

Post by batty »

Where is the 5punk CSS server? would we have access to stick it on there? or is it just rented space?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

i own and run the CSS server (and all the other game servers)

I'll have a look at psychostats.

how much does it need on the gameserver? obviously i'm keen on keeping the load down where possible, it allows us to have more gameservers with no more cost

:)
batty
Mouse
Mouse

Post by batty »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:i own and run the CSS server (and all the other game servers)

I'll have a look at psychostats.

how much does it need on the gameserver? obviously i'm keen on keeping the load down where possible, it allows us to have more gameservers with no more cost

:)
do you mean processor time or bandwidth?

theres a few ways to grab the info, if your worried about the extra bandwidth being taken away from games by hosting the stats on the same server, you can run the script and post it off to a remote sql server and have it hosted elsewhere. As for the CPU load, the first time you collect the stats its a bit of a hit, but after that it's minimal, you can schedule to collect the stats when ever you want (6am, once a day?) when people aren't lightly to be using the server....

I've stuck it all on the one server for slash as they've got a reasonable machine and tonnes of bandwidth, i've scheduled theres to run every 10 minutes and it works fine...
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

cheers, i'll have a look at it at some point. :)