Geekfood Mk2.

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Geekfood Mk2.

Post by Dog Pants »

Very good MJ. I like your bangles. You should put this on the front page.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Dog Pants wrote:Very good MJ. I like your bangles. You should put this on the front page.
Could do, but I don't really know how. That's embarrassing.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

:ahoy: Good cookin Mr J!
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I honestly thought that was a parody video.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

It's slightly better than his beans on toast recipe.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I've just tried my hand at doing some tempura prawns. Tasted pretty good, but I mixed the batter too much and made a school boy error and didn't give my prawns a dry coat first, so it was really more like fried prawns rather than proper tempura. No pictures this time around because of that.

Was rather easy though and doesn't require much prep at all, so will be doing it again in the near future.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I did Butter Chicken the other night.

Took quite a while, was a massive pain in the arse, fucking delicious though.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Butter Chicken was actually Indian? I'm genuinely surprised.

Anyone ever fancied cooking the stuff from Warcraft? Now you can!
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:Butter Chicken was actually Indian? I'm genuinely surprised.

Anyone ever fancied cooking the stuff from Warcraft? Now you can!
I hope it has haunted herring, scorpid surprise and gooey spider cake. The pics on Amazon look a bit weak compared to some fan-made creations I've seen.

http://www.gourmetgaming.co.uk, seems to be down sadly, was where I found the guild wars cake I made
http://www.taurenchef.com/
https://gamersfridge.wordpress.com/ / http://www.gamersfridge.com/
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/0 ... more-28835
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Drink Recipe!
1 part Lidl Apple and Raspberry fruit juice
1 part Asda fizzy Orange Crush
some booze if you want amount up to you

Tastes like you've eated all the Refreshers at once

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Pig Cheek Stew

A nice stew made with beer, mustard and bread this is ideal for a Sunday meal or for when the family comes round. It's incredibly easy to make, all you need is a fair bit of time and some nice quality beer. I suggest eating this with chips, croquettes, hash browns or any other potato product you like, alongside a seasonal salad such as field salad or Belgian endive.

You'll need:

-2 onions
-1 clove of garlic
-1 kg of pig's cheeks
-black pepper
-salt
-some twigs of thyme
-2 bay leaves
-a couple of flat-leaved parsley stems
-1 L of brown beer*
-butter, for baking
-1 clove
-2 pieces of white bread
-2 tbl sharp mustard
-2 tbl brown sugar

First, dice up your onion coarsely and crush or finely chop your garlic clove, melt some butter in a large pot and add the onions and garlic and bake until they start to caramelize. If your butcher has not cleaned the pig cheeks yet do this now before you start on the next bit. Chop up your pig cheeks into large chunks and lightly bake them in a pan with some butter until browned but not baked (they have to still be raw inside). Since this is a fairly large amount don't do them all at once so as to not crowd your pan. Add the meat to the large pot and deglaze your pan with your beer, make sure to scrape off any leavings still in the pan for extra flavour. Add it all to your pot and bring to a simmer. Grab your bay leaves, thyme, clove and parsley stems (I used leaf and stem) and tie them into a bouquet garni, which you put into your stew, that you then further season with black pepper and salt (this can be done at the end too, that's up to you). Add the sugar as well. Next, take two pieces of white bread (or 1 really thick one if you can't fit two next to each other in the pot) and smear the mustard on one side of it, then put those slices mustard-side down on top of your stew. Cover with the lid and let it simmer for about two hours, if your pig cheeks are completely falling apart and the slices of bread have disintegrated you know it's done.

Enjoy this with a glass of the beer you used in the stew. Smakelijk!

*I used Rodenbach, which is a red-brown beer with light sour undertones but any dark heavy beer should do. If you can get your hands on one I suggest using a dark or red Belgian beer like Sint-Bernardus 12, Petrus, Bacchus or Liefmans Goudenband. The "heavy" sweet taste is perfect for stews, but if you can't find any you can use any type of beer as long as it's dark and sweet. Don't use other beers as it turns very bitter when used for cooking.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Festive sausage rolls (non-specific holiday emulsified high fat offal tube SBEU's)

Sausage rolls! Everyone loves sausage rolls, so here's a nice easy recipe that you can adjust wherever necessary to make your own version.

You'll need:

-some sausages; I used witte pens (local white pudding), a regular old chipolata and merguez which is a spicy lamb or mutton sausage but you can use any spicy sausage you like. Merguez can often be found with your halal butcher, kofte is also a good alternative.
-puff pastry, I use little square sheets that you can buy in the freezer.
-an egg yolk
-sriracha
-ketchup
-cranberry jam

If you're making the chipolata or merguez ones bake your sausages first, when using the white pudding there is no need to bake because they're already cooked. A little warning about merguez: they tend to lose a LOT of liquid when baking, make sure you get most of it out of the sausage or you might have a bad time when your rolls go in the oven. Try not to make them too dry either, but this'll depend on the sausage so keep an eye on those guys. If you're using mince or kofte you don't need to bake it first.

Next slice up your pastry into long strips, you can make them as broad as you like but in my experience it's better to keep your rolls about the size of your palm. The strips need to be long enough to encase the sausage and overlap on the bottom, but no longer than that.

Cut your sausage into parts that fit exactly or are slightly shorter than your pastry strip, but try not to have the sausage stick out because those ends will burn. It's important that your roll doesn't get too bulky so if you're using say a cumberland type sausage cut them in half lengthwise or quarter them into strips.
Before you roll them up, put your seasoning of choice on the sausage. I use sriracha for the merguez, cranberry for the white pudding and ketchup for the chipolata. Ketchup caramelizes when you bake it and it's pretty damn great. Don't use too much sauce or it'll seep out in the oven. I just put a bit lengthwise on the sausage.
Now you can roll them up, I prefer to roll rather than folding them in because the ratio of sausage to pastry is better per bite. The bit where your pastry overlaps is the bottom, gently press on it so they'll stay up when in the oven. Make a couple of cuts on the top of your roll.

Next take an egg yolk and mix it up with about a teaspoon of water, then use a brush to brush some on top of your roll. Now put them on a sheet of baking paper on a tray and slide them in a pre-heated oven per your pastry packet instructions (generally about 220°C). Bake until golden. If you're making them to take somewhere else and you have access to an oven there bake them till they puff up and *just* about start to colour then take them out. Then you can just finish baking them at your destination.

Enjoy!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Nooo! A sausage roll isn't an SBEU.* That would be a hot dog.

*Standard Bread Equivalency Unit
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Senor Johnson, can you post your jerky recipe you used for the jerky at Brum Bash? I got a dehydrator for Christmas and I'd love to give yours a go as it was SUPER DELICIOUS.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I used this recipe, with a few alterations. You can ignore all the paleo bullshit too.

-Coconut aminos are a soy sauce alternative, I used regular old soy sauce.
-Sage sea salt is not something I have lying about, but I did have a lot of fresh sage at the time. I used about a large handful of finely chopped up leaves, but dried sage should be fine as well.
-I can't remember whether I used garlic powder or fresh garlic but either is fine. 1 crushed clove should be enough.
-I marinate the meat overnight rather than 1 paltry hour, you will get a lot more flavour that way.
-Make sure there is enough to coat all the meat, if not just add a little bit more of the wet ingredients until you have enough.

Use a sterilized jar with a seal*, if you have a dishwasher just chuck it in there and if you don't boil your pot for 15 minutes in a casserole than put it in an oven on 75°C till it's dry. Try not to touch the inside.

*A large enough jam jar should work just fine.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Thanks dude!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

buzzmong wrote:
Mr. Johnson wrote:I also got a box of cantuccini.
You ever considered trying to bake them yourself?
It seems they are piss easy to make. I left them in the oven a bit too long on the second bake but otherwise really good. RECIPE

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Loving the retro wallpaper.