Post by Dog Pants »

Must be a tax thing.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Re: Movie mini reviews

Post by Roman Totale »

buzzmong wrote:Arrival

Excellent film. Basically focused on what humanity does when presented with an alien race that's not trying to instantly murder them as per pretty much every other alien film.
It's got some really clever bits, and the climax is a phone call :)

Can't say much more without giving stuff away.

Go watch. Possible film of 2016.
I really enjoyed it as well. I mentioned before it came out that I've always wanted to see an alien first contact film that dealt with the language barrier, and it did it very well.

Throughout it kept reminding me of a book, but I couldn't remember which one (no, not the one it's based on). Fortunately Kermode was on hand - the aliens are very reminiscent of the Tralfamadorians from Kurt Vonnegut's works, specifically Slaughterhouse Five.

I did have some minor quibbles with the film, mostly around it falling victim to a couple of obvious tropes, but over all a very good film.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Nocturnal Animals

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed this, I don't think it's for everyone - of the 6 people who were in the screening I was at, 3 walked out before the end (and each one separately at thirds of the way through). Amy Adams and Jake Gylenngalalal are both tremendous, and I really think they're some of the best actors around at the moment. Michael Shannon is also really good in his role. Very tense, and a little bit uncomfortable at one point (which is why I think one guy walked out).

Nightcrawler

Speaking of Jake Gyllenhaal, I also saw this recently. Again very good. It also starts Riz Ahmed, who was the main "terrorist" in Four Lions - didn't recognise him for ages! He's also in Rogue One, so I hope this means he's going to be in a lot more stuff now.

Warcraft

What a mess. Not as bad as I thought it would be, but it's just all over the fucking place. Would be interesting to see what people who know nothing of the game make of it.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Just got round to watching Suicide Squad. What a bag of shite. I mean, I didn't have high expectations going into it anyway, but it still managed to be worse than I thought. Don't really have much more to say than has already been pointed out a thousands times already (i.e. it's just a series of trailers stitched together, and their attempts to emulate Guardians of the Galaxy via the music element failed dismally).

When the trailers first came out I think I said "looks like DC have finally come out of their doom and gloom phase". Now, I don't think it was gloomy like the rest of their offerings have been, but I didn't laugh once throughout the entire film (and they were clearly going for laughs in several places). I also though that from the brief glimpse we see of Jared Leto, he's not a very interesting Joker.

I can't get over how much this failed to deliver on so many levels.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Roman Totale wrote: I also though that from the brief glimpse we see of Jared Leto, he's not a very interesting Joker.
I read something somewhere that if you're trying to act drunk, you have to act like a drunk person trying to act sober.

I suspect the same goes for acting completely fucking batshit crazy, Heath ledger did it well, because he was clearly batshit, but was trying to act normal. Jared Leto just acts like he's off tumblr.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Hunt for the wilderpeople

Randomly stumbled on this whilst looking for a film I could watch with the missus, and I'm really glad I did. Directed by Taika Waititi, who also directed and starred in 'what we do in the shadows' comes this drama comedy about a boy and his sort of foster dad (played by Sam Neill) evading the police and trying to survive in the New Zealand wilderness. I thought the kid was pretty good and the chemistry between Neill and him was fantastic, made for an enjoyable and funny film.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Star Wars: Rogue One

It's rather good :stormtrooper:

I'm also somewhat certain that Forest Whitaker has borrowed a set of armour from Fallout's Brotherhood of Steel :)
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Balls to all you people who've seen Rogue One. My most anticipated film in years and I've got to schedule it around kids and family visits.
Chickenz
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Chickenz »

Dog Pants wrote:Balls to all you people who've seen Rogue One. My most anticipated film in years and I've got to schedule it around kids and family visits.
Seconded!! The in laws are getting me a voucher for the cinema again this year. Hopefully see it the day after boxing day.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

buzzmong wrote:Star Wars: Rogue One

I thought the first half dragged a bit, but the second half was very good. There were a few too many call backs and cute references to other films for my liking though. I fear that will now become a staple for all future Star Wars films.
Spoiler:
The first scene featuring Vader seemed a bit off or out of place to me - like watching a bad impersonation. Can't put my finger on it but it just didn't feel right. When he turns up at the end, however, was fantastic.

"Peter Cushing" was unreal. They did a really good job there, very impressive.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I hate needless in-references. Is the Death Star, the Star Destroyers, Darth Vader not enough? I really don't understand why they do that because they inevitably feel shoe-horned in and immersion breaking.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

There were a lot of call backs, however I think Rogue One gets a pass on them they're nearly all mostly in passing (one was obviously shoehorned in), most are blink and you'll miss them.

Roman:
Spoiler:
Surprising as I thought the face CGI wasn't very good. Tarkin was okay, except for one bit when he smiles/grimaces, but the Leia one just looked off to me. Dunno if it was because I was watching it in the IMAX, which tends to amplify these things.

My other criticism is I think with the editors, as it's a very abrupt transition from the shuttle scene after Galen Erso snuffed it where Jyn is all angry and mopey to the next scene where she's pro-Rebellion, arguing with the council for an assault and decides to get the plans herself. Felt like there was a missing conversation.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Roman Totale wrote:
buzzmong wrote:Star Wars: Rogue One

I thought the first half dragged a bit, but the second half was very good. There were a few too many call backs and cute references to other films for my liking though. I fear that will now become a staple for all future Star Wars films.
Spoiler:
The first scene featuring Vader seemed a bit off or out of place to me - like watching a bad impersonation. Can't put my finger on it but it just didn't feel right. When he turns up at the end, however, was fantastic.

"Peter Cushing" was unreal. They did a really good job there, very impressive.
All of this ^
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I really enjoyed Rogue One. The little incidental details that tie the films together were great for an extended universe geek like me. I get Buzz's points though.
Spoiler:
My other criticism is that I didn't really feel anything for the characters. I think the robot was the character I missed the most. I was, however, really impressed when the Rebel fleet attacked. Totally didn't expect that.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

First of 2017!

xXx: Return of Xander Cage

An early entry but a strong contender for 2017's So bad it's good award :trophy:

It is a terrible film, but I enjoyed it because of that and I most definitely do not regret seeing it.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

La La Land

Well I liked it, so fuck you.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Mandatory response:

Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Embrace of the Serpent

Set in the Amazon jungle, the film follows the last known member of a tribe and his journeys with two scientist/explorers - one in 1909 and the other in 1940.

Great film. Nominated for Best Foreign Language Film in the 2015 Oscars. I found it very compelling and hypnotic - the camera seems to suck your eye into the jungle. Recommended.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Fury

For some reason I'm never inspired to watch WWII films, and then when I get round to them I really enjoy them. Fury is no exception. It follows a veteran US tank crew in the last days of the war as they fight into Germany, the title being the name of the Deuce they drive, and their newbie replacement. If that sounds formulaic - gritty veterans show a green kid the horrors of war - that's because it is. I was merrily predicting the rise and fall of the plot and nailing it every time. It doesn't really detract though, merely reduced a little of the tension. The characters are all interesting and, surprisingly, not very sympathetic apart from said greenhorn. The action and cinematography is spot on - very convincing without the meat horror that some war movies revel in. Gore is there, but it's usually very quick and often slightly stylised. There's a nice twist at the end too for anyone who's been paying attention.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

The Girl on the Train

Jesus Christ what a boring, boring, fucking dull shitty boring film this is.

Edit: in fairness Emily Blunt is great as always, and the depiction of an alcoholic as the unreliable narrator is good, but it's still brain numbingly tedious.