Stardew Valley

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Stardew Valley

Post by Dog Pants »

I've started this thread for two reasons:

1. I'm hitting it pretty hard and want to discuss it with other 5punkers in a more permanent medium than Discord.

2. Other people might wonder why some of us are putting so much time into it.

It's hard to describe Stardew Valley without saying Farmville, even though I've never played Farmville. They're both games about farms though, so I assume there are similarities. Apparently it's like Harvest Moon, but I've never played that either. At any rate it's a nice, low intensity game that's great at whiling away your time wandering about the JRPG-like town and growing things. It seems to be reasonably complex and long burning without being difficult, and because it saves at the start of each day (which seem to last about 15 minutes or so) it somehow captures that 'just one more turn' thing that Civ and XCOM do. Kind of feels like Pokemon. Anyway, we're enjoying it.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Re: Stardew Valley

Post by shot2bits »

yes! this game is lovely, nice and relaxing with plenty of different stuff to get on with, and there's not really any wrong way to play either. the only things you will be punished for is if you stay up too late you wont restore all your energy, or if you leave it long enough you will pass out and lose a bit of money/items, or if you lose all your health in the dungeon you lose a fair chunk of items, gold and floor progression.

a few tips for getting through the dungeon.

Check the adventurers guild when you reach farther in the dungeon they will stock new equipment, also they have a bounty board which you can claim rewards for, most of these your not going to be seeing for a good while but the bug one is actually really easy and you get a pretty decent sword (i got down to floor 100 before i bothered to use anything else) just make sure your inventory isn't full when you claim it otherwise you will lose the item.

Finding ladders down can sometimes be a pain, hopefully you get one from the monsters that you kill but it wont always be the case and you will sometimes find yourself mining dozens of stone trying to get one and end up with no energy left, upgrading your pick can help with this as it reduces the amount of hits needed to break stones, but mostly i just try and pack a few explosives and throw them in as dense a cluster of rocks as i can find, even the little cherry bombs are pretty good. failing that take a shit load of stone and you can craft your own staircase down but it needs quite a bit of stone so generally best to leave that as a last resort.

and finally don't try and push too far, 5 floors a day is a reasonable goal but if you are at the 4th and you have almost no energy, low health and no sign of a way down just don't risk it, you'll probably end up with a rock crab popping up as you try and mine something and finishing you off and then losing 10 floors of progress and potentially useful items from your inventory.

oh and a hoe is actually useful down there, you can dig the sandy patches and find items including artifacts, some i think can only be found that way.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Also just remembered it took me a while to realize that you could check the town hall bundles stuff from the inventory, there's a button on the right for it. handy for checking if you need to keep hold of stuff without running all the way there but you still need to take them there to hand in
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I now have a brewery set up in my greenhouse, churning out pale ale every few days for a very respectable profit. Also, my wife just asked me if I wanted a baby. Everything's turning up Millhouse on Knobhorse farm. :ahoy: :wronghole:

I also found out pigs don't produce milk, although I'm sceptical.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

I got married to Leah (a ginger girl who loves alcohol, go figure), upgraded my house to level 3, completed the community bundle and started a cranberry farm in the greenhouse. :boogie:
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

I like your word filterage Grimmie
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I struggled with this game, mirrored real life far more than I'd like it to.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

There was a preview of the 1.1 update at PAX, here's a PC Gamer hipster telling you about it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAYJe_WYZ14[/youtube]